Olyroos The Olyroos Tokyo 2020(1) Olympics Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Arnold happened, team selection and tactics were an utter shambles last night.

He must go.

Only problem with this is that we'll probably get Arnold-lite in Corica as the replacement manager. Ugh.

Watched a lot of him for Melbourne City this past season. He isn't a good goalkeeper but had a very good group of defenders in front of him (whom he usually berated when he made a mistake). If he's the best goalkeeper coming through, then God help us.
How's Maynard-Brewer tracking?
Surely several years at Charlton's youth set up has had some benefits?

The whole "we shouldn't have left Oceania" argument has started on twitter.

TBH there's pros and cons to being there, and I think it's merely a coincidence that we've been on a downward trend while NZ are in the way up.

TBH there's pros and cons to being there, and I think it's merely a coincidence that we've been on a downward trend while NZ are in the way up.

Deff was the right move at the time. But now that the World Cup will go to 48 Nations might turn out to be remote.

NZL might just get the easiest passage to the World Cup. Of course its never as easy as it seems, they’ll still probably have to go through South America lol

Deff was the right move at the time. But now that the World Cup will go to 48 Nations might turn out to be remote.

NZL might just get the easiest passage to the World Cup. Of course its never as easy as it seems, they’ll still probably have to go through South America lol
Oceania gets 1.5 spots. A Tahiti or Fiji might have to face a Uruguay for a spot but unless NZ choke big time...

2013 confeds cup not withstanding

One thing that was mentioned was the fact that playing in Oceania gave us easy passage for our junior teams to make big tournaments, giving them exposure to cutthroat Matchplay.

I'll blame Arnold for selections and tactics , but the players on the park also had a hand in the performance . I now have doubts about the senior team getting to WC but we shall see.

Oceania gets 1.5 spots. A Tahiti or Fiji might have to face a Uruguay for a spot but unless NZ choke big time...

2013 confeds cup not withstanding

I didn't know that, But that can always change between now and the beginning of the next qualifying period knowing FIFA politics and the influence of West Asian nations. The best thing for FIFA to do before the 2026 qualifying is to dissolve Oceania in to Asia than split Asia in to West/East but again politics always gets in the way.

Last edited:

It's a no brainer for me that Australia playing against South Korea, Japan, Iran and probably one day an improving China is going to be better development for us than playing against a bunch of third world countries and then NZ.

It's a no brainer for me that Australia playing against South Korea, Japan, Iran and probably one day an improving China is going to be better development for us than playing against a bunch of third world countries and then NZ.
I don't think it's that simple

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apart from gift qualification, I dont see an advantage in Oceana. Even in Asia with 48 teams we should comfortably qualify.
We should, but that "gift" qualification saw us make every major junior tournament

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back