The on topic thread 2.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you surprised SM? Just like when Auba “goaded” a Spurs supporter to throw a banana peel at him. Sterling acting like a “jockstrap” means he’s fair game too.

It’s all good. They were asking for it hey. They deserve it right?

Clearly they should know their place.

It’s not about “knowing ones place”, it’s about not acting like a proper big time Charlie, it doesn’t matter if you’re white, black or turquoise in this country you’re going to get your knockers when you act all the big I am.

To be fair Sterling has flaunted.his wealth in front of football supporters by buying his mum a house, he also flaunted his wealth in front of football supporters by shopping at a discount store. He also shamelessly went on an expensive holiday, not to mention shamelessly going on an EasyJet holiday

And that's before we delve into the horrors of eating breakfast, having a dirty car and liking Gregg's sausage rolls. Don't understand how anyone could think he doesn't deserve the criticism he gets.

So pretty much what every high profile footballer has to deal with. Trash tabloids written about them. It's been going on for ever and won't stop until those trash tabloids get ignored and don't get clicks. Thus nonsense going on right now does the opposite of any good, it just creates more publicity, more clicks for the likes of trash like the daily fail and the scum. Start a campaign to boycott this if you want to make a difference. The whole city of Liverpool stood up to the scum and defeated them. Unfair harassment of footballers needs to stop regardless of their race.

Last edited:
It’s not about “knowing ones place”, it’s about not acting like a proper big time Charlie, it doesn’t matter if you’re white, black or turquoise in this country you’re going to get your knockers when you act all the big I am.
This shows how effect media narratives can be. Just about everyone that has worked with him talks of a polite, reserved kid eager to learn. He has certainly come across like that in all of the interviews/stories etc at City.

Yet so many people are convinced they know different.

This shows how effect media narratives can be. Just about everyone that has worked with him talks of a polite, reserved kid eager to learn. He has certainly come across like that in all of the interviews/stories etc at City.

Doesn't Sterling know he shouldn't spend money on his family? What a big time Charlie.

To show just how far the media will stoop look no further than the Gerrard DJ court case:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/steven-gerrard-311000-legal-aid-3326398

They've reported it as a "payoff". When all that happened was Gerrard's legal fees were covered after being cleared of any wrongdoing. As any citizen is entitled to. This article is absolutely outrageous, pity there wasn't more of an uproar at the time it happened.

So pretty much what every high profile footballer has to deal with. Trash tabloids written about them. It's been going on for ever and won't stop until those trash tabloids get ignored and don't get clicks. Thus nonsense going on right now does the opposite of any good, it just creates more publicity, more clicks for the likes of trash like the daily fail and the scum. Start a campaign to boycott this if you want to make a difference. The whole city of Liverpool stood up to the scum and defeated them. Unfair harassment of footballers needs to stop regardless of their race.
I'm happy that it's now out in the open and people are seriously examining the media on this issue. A few on here have been talking about it for years now, I'm pleased that the numbers that think like you on this issue are dwindling.

I actually feel Sterling has faced a hard time by certain factions of the press, and agree with you that he’s not the monster he’s beenpainted. You’ll have a hard time convincing me it’s anything to do with his race though as I see black players receiving high adulation far more often than I do receiving the negative press Sterling has received. I do think he made a target for himself, what with his move to City, form for England and that gun tattoo. But I’ve witnessed certain players get dug out by the press over the years, and the common denominator isn’t race. Unfortunately millennials have been conditioned to believe it is all about race, so they have been conditioned by a narrative as well

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think it's all about race. Who he left and who he came to were huge factors in the vitriol he gets around the country.

But I think it's naive to think race isn't a factor.
Maybe for some it is a factor, but for most I’d say unlikely. The danger here is if you start saying that any criticism is mainly coming from a racist (or sexist or homophobic position etc) then you create a climate of fear where people will become afraid to speak their minds, and then of course individuals will become completely protected from any form of criticism just because they are included in these sections of society. It is hard though to decide what is coming from a position of bigoted hatred and what is constructive and fair criticism. It all comes down to your own perception on things, but it never helps playing the race card when the issue is not cut and dried

I don't think it's all about race. Who he left and who he came to were huge factors in the vitriol he gets around the country.

But I think it's naive to think race isn't a factor.
I was surprised by the booing and abuse Sterling copped at the MCG playing for City against Real.

it is definitely because he's black. anyone who still thinks it isnt at this stage is kidding themselves.

the stories about him are reported differently than similar stories of white counterparts. it has also happened to rashford in the past. there was a story linking him to some dodgy cousin after he scored a brace for united.

he has been demonised by a media who don't like a jamaican playing for england, and getting well paid and being a winner. he has done nothing wrong in his career yet everyone is told that he's a money hungry disgrace of a human. it's absurd and ridiculously unfair. at the end of the day, he's a bloke who kicks a ball around.

it is definitely because he's black. anyone who still thinks it isnt at this stage is kidding themselves.

the stories about him are reported differently than similar stories of white counterparts. it has also happened to rashford in the past. there was a story linking him to some dodgy cousin after he scored a brace for united.

he has been demonised by a media who don't like a jamaican playing for england, and getting well paid and being a winner. he has done nothing wrong in his career yet everyone is told that he's a money hungry disgrace of a human. it's absurd and ridiculously unfair. at the end of the day, he's a bloke who kicks a ball around.

Absolutely disagree with that and believe this sort of statement is actually counter productive to countering racism.

If it was true you would be seeing nothing but negative press towards all black footballers. And we are seeing the opposite of negativity towards Kante in the tabloid media right at this very point in time. How do you reconcile that with your above statement ?

Complete tosh. If it happened simply because he was black then all black players would get vilified in the press, and particularly the ones who play for England and are into the bling lifestyle. Use your noddle for once, I swear people have forgotten how to apply logic in this day and age

Absolutely disagree with that and believe this sort of statement is actually counter productive to countering racism.

If it was true you would be seeing nothing but negative press towards all black footballers. And we are seeing the opposite of negativity towards Kante in the tabloid media right at this very point in time. How do you reconcile that with your above statement ?
and just like englands right wing press hates sterling, how much does the french right wing enjoy all those africans playing for france?

I was surprised by the booing and abuse Sterling copped at the MCG playing for City against Real.
That was Poo fans at our game. Real Madrid love Sterling, they want him to join. Sterling has always been a top class lad from the moment he told Brodgers to 'steady'. The media campaign against Sterling was always being orchestrated from Poo sources.

Complete tosh. If it happened simply because he was black then all black players would get vilified in the press, and particularly the ones who play for England and are into the bling lifestyle. Use your noddle for once, I swear people have forgotten how to apply logic in this day and age
they, uh, do? it has happened with rashford and lingard.

That was Poo fans at our game. Real Madrid love Sterling, they want him to join. Sterling has always been a top class lad from the moment he told Brodgers to 'steady'. The media campaign against Sterling was always being orchestrated from Poo sources.
There’s a lot of truth in that. The negativity surrounding Sterling started when he transferred. It snowballed from there but definitely began from the pro Liverpool based in the media. They couldn’t handle that he had left them for what they regarded as a club of far less standing and structure

they, uh, do? it has happened with rashford and lingard.
The only negative Rashford articles I’ve seen are saying how he hasn’t kicked on the way it was thought he would have. Is it racist to say that in your eyes?

The only negative Rashford articles I’ve seen are saying how he hasn’t kicked on the way it was thought he would have. Is it racist to say that in your eyes?
it was around when he first popped up but it has definitely died down. it is more concentrated on sterling though because he is from overseas.

There’s a lot of truth in that. The negativity surrounding Sterling started when he transferred. It snowballed from there but definitely began from the pro Liverpool based in the media. They couldn’t handle that he had left them for what they regarded as a club of far less standing and structure
There were a lot of very manipulative and sinister actions by someone who had media links and authority at Poo. It even started when he was still their player. It was an abuse of power and led to them having a bad reputation, I believe they got snubbed by some players in the next window.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back