The on topic thread 2.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
But the claim isn't that team success should automatically result in a player from that side winning the award, but certainly does mean they should be in contention. Your example of De Bruyne is just further proof of that. It would have been stupid if no one from Man City last year was in the running for the player of the year award.
I wouldn’t say it’s stupid. What happens if a dominant side had relatively evenly performed players across the pitch with no real standout player whereas a side who didn’t win the league had a player produce one of the greatest PL seasons? VVD and Salah would be nowhere near Gareth Bale in 12/13, or Ronaldo in 07/08, or Henry in 03/04, or Phillips in 99/00, etc.

David ******* Ginola won POTY in 1999.
GregariousRashArkshell-max-1mb.gif

Leave him alone you hateful oaf.

I wouldn’t say it’s stupid. What happens if a dominant side had relatively evenly performed players across the pitch with no real standout player whereas a side who didn’t win the league had a player produce one of the greatest PL seasons? VVD and Salah would be nowhere near Gareth Bale in 12/13, or Ronaldo in 07/08, or Henry in 03/04, or Phillips in 99/00, etc.

I think you’ve gone off track a bit here. Of course players in non-title winning sides can win the POTY award, but that was never the argument.

The original comment was that Hazard had ‘comfortably’ been the best player so far this season. He’s had an excellent season and you could probably build a good case for him as a POTY candidate, but comfortably the best? Bit of a stretch.

He’s had a remarkable 2 years. He’s currently making the ‘one-season wonder’ crowd look a bit silly, hopefully it continues.

Aguero maintaining a goal every 109 minutes over 8 years is phenomenal.

I’m glad you mentioned it.

Whilst Salah isn’t a one season wonder, Aguero is way more impressive on that list considering his sample size is 3 times larger.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So in response to being criticised by Lampard for sending spies to watch Derby training last week, Bielsa just called a press conference and delivered a tactical masterclass on how to beat Derby, then told the audience that he sends spies to watch all of his opponents train. He is absolutely mad.

So in response to being criticised by Lampard for sending spies to watch Derby training last week, Bielsa just called a press conference and delivered a tactical masterclass on how to beat Derby, then told the audience that he sends spies to watch all of his opponents train. He is absolutely mad.

Shame his scout seemed to get lost on the way to Hull.

Interestingly, if he is behind Football Leaks and he is convicted of hacking, then it means the e-mails and documents published are real. I wouldn’t say this is a positive development for the likes of Man City, Ronaldo etc who have been implicated by Football Leaks recently.

City’s response the other day to condemn Football Leaks/Der Spiegel for having the audacity to whistle blow and air their dirty laundry, but not deny that the documents were genuine, was telling.

Last edited:
Saw this on FB, don't know how true it is but very interesting if so -

Apparently Dortmund has apparently decided internally to prevent all players from transferring to Bayern Munich.

In order to make the Bundesliga more competitive, the German giants have decided that all star players will be forbidden from transferring to Bayern.

The only exceptions to this are if Dortmund has a release clause on a player (Dortmund can't prevent Bayern offering money) or if a player runs down his contract, such as Lewandowski did.

The club will no longer actively sell players to Bayern, and if any mutual terminations of contracts between Dortmund and their players will have a clause preventing them from immediately signing with Bayern Munich.

--

I’m sure Uli will tell everyone Dortmund are ruining German football. 🙄

Interestingly, if he is behind Football Leaks and he is convicted of hacking, then it means the e-mails and documents published are real. I wouldn’t say this is a positive development for the likes of Man City, Ronaldo etc who have been implicated by Football Leaks recently.

City’s response the other day to condemn Football Leaks/Der Spiegel for having the audacity to whistle blow and air their dirty laundry, but not deny that the documents were genuine, was telling.

I mean I think most people know that the documents are real. But yeah, I suppose it would add an extra layer of legitimacy.

Saw this on FB, don't know how true it is but very interesting if so -

Apparently Dortmund has apparently decided internally to prevent all players from transferring to Bayern Munich.

In order to make the Bundesliga more competitive, the German giants have decided that all star players will be forbidden from transferring to Bayern.

The only exceptions to this are if Dortmund has a release clause on a player (Dortmund can't prevent Bayern offering money) or if a player runs down his contract, such as Lewandowski did.

The club will no longer actively sell players to Bayern, and if any mutual terminations of contracts between Dortmund and their players will have a clause preventing them from immediately signing with Bayern Munich.

--

I’m sure Uli will tell everyone Dortmund are ruining German football. 🙄
Nothing too controversial in that. It's common practice in England. Liverpool and United do not do business. Liverpool and Everton do not do business. It's just normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back