The on topic thread 2.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm old enough to understand that getting into a discussion with someone that has an established opinion of you and never tires of sharing it regardless of the facts is pointless.

And young enough to be able to recall my opinion on this, and other similar cases is entirely consistent.

So enjoy your bitching and Billy bullshitting.

I'm off to take the dog for a walk.

ADL9798

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 18, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
Are you suggesting the two situations are the same?

It’s the most obvious case that comes to mind where the FA made a point of taking a strong stance against racism, I was trying to figure out what the benchmark penalty would be. Not the same but there are some similarities.

The cultural factor for one - in addition to this and the Suarez case, there are a few examples of Latinos just not seeing this sort of thing as an issue in the same way as people in other countries do. It’s worth noting that in Suarez’s case the FA panel accepted that use of the word ‘negro’ to address a black person was sometimes considered inoffensive in Uruguay, and while if used in this ‘inoffensive’ context his penalty would’ve been less severe, they still would have found him guilty. That’s probably a relevant precedent for this case.

Having just skim read part the Suarez report, reference to a player’s ethnic origin, colour or race doubles the minimum penalty for breaching rule E3(2) to 4 games, Suarez’s penalty was then upgraded to 8 games.

Aggravating factors for Suarez included the FA’s public support and promotion of campaigns like Kick It Out (and an assertion that Suarez “should have been aware that his behaviour was contrary to the message of those campaigns and unacceptable”), the number of times he used the word ‘negro’, and the context being a conflict between the 2 players.

Only the former is likely to apply to Silva (that’s if he is even charged by the FA). It’ll be interesting to see how they respond.

Would have thought Balotelli was a more similar and recent case.

Andre Gray? Elliott as well, although I can't recall what punishments (if any).

Suarez, John Terry to me are totally different issues.

Never forgive Hull for raiding us and wrenching him from our grasp.
He's actually close to our player of the season, is completely transformed from the spud who joined us.

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal, New York Yankees
City have previous in doubling down on stupidity. Their response to the offensive chants / Sean Cox situation being one of them. Not quite sure whats going on with the PR dept over there.

In my time on this forum, I often see s**t thrown at Liverpool for apparently playing the victim and its never their fault etc. I must say, there’s a bit of a “woe is me” mentality coming out of City. From Silva’s “oh you can’t joke anymore” to then Pep’s laughable defence.

They would do well to learn about the concept of intention versus impact. Sure, the intent was a bit of a laugh between mates, nothing too sinister in that. But the impact, completely different. Using such a blatant racial caricature in public is really only inviting the spotlight.

But then with a few days in between, with the benefit of time and advice and the opportunity to learn something, Pep comes out with that. It could have just concluded itself with an apology or a bit of accountability, but nah. He dishes out that instead. What a dickhead.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 5, 2007
Yorta Yorta country
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
BlueCo
Reports that Liverpool are on the verge of signing a £100m per season kit deal with Nike, starting from the 2020-21 season. Our current deal with New Balance is worth £45m per season. Bit of a game changer.

For context, our overall revenue in 2017/18 was £455m, total commercial revenue was £154m. The Main Stand development, which cost £110m, increased our capacity by 10,000 and matchday revenue by £25m/season.

The new deal would put us on par with Barcelona and Real Madrid for the most lucrative kit sponsorship in world football, ahead of United (Adidas, £75m), City (Puma, £65m), Chelsea (Nike, £60m), Arsenal (Puma, £60m).

ADL9798

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 18, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool

£30m/season + 20% of all Nike LFC merchandise as one of the bonuses.

Last year we sold 1.13m kits alone through ~3000 New Balance outlets (not including other merch).

The club seem to be banking on Nike’s ~6000 outlets and vastly superior global profile, marketing and distribution network to make the difference.

Interesting deal, I’m not going to pretend to know exactly what it’ll be worth all up but the figures leaked previously indicate that whatever modelling has been done projects this as a pretty lucrative deal for the club.

Would’ve preferred Serena & Drake were left out of it..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back