The on topic thread 2.0

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WealstoneRaider

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Duckenfield found not guilty for what happened at Hillsborough
Not surprised by that in all honesty. My take is he obviously ordered the outside gates to be opened to prevent a crush developing outside, but he failed to close off the tunnel to the central pens which were already packed. It’s probably gross negligence or something like that I’d have thought

drd23

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 28, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens, Atletico

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WealstoneRaider

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
That's what he was charged with and acquitted on (technically the charge was gross negligence manslaughter)

Yeah after I posted that I thought hang on gross negligence is a charge that leads to manslaughter - so obviously I’m a bit of a doughnut.

Would be interested to know how he got off that charge. He could see the central pens were already packed and wasn’t it his authority to ensure no one else entered them? Maybe they’ve decided it was more of a collective guilt on South Yorkshire Police for losing control of the situation and appointing a man who had no experience of taking charge of an event that big and at that venue...

drd23

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 28, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Would be interested to know how he got off that charge
My guess is that the problem is with the wording on what constitutes "gross negligence"
For negligence to be found to be 'gross', it must be, having regard to the foreseeable risk of death, so truly and exceptionally bad, so blameworthy, so reprehensible and so deserving of punishment, that it deserves to be marked by conviction of the serious crime of manslaughter.
The way that instruction is worded it seems like it has to be almost deliberate to meet the definition

Him only being partly responsible should not be enough to acquit according to the judge's instructions

The bottom of this page has a few of the pertinent questions the judge asked the jury to consider in their deliberations

SM

Bigfooty Legend
Aug 3, 2008
North Shore
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Hull City, Adelaide United, EH
I was lucky enough to chat to Callum Elder last night, left back for Hull City who is on the periphery of the Australian team. Talked to him about his early career, what it was like being at Leicester when they won the league, his ambitions for playing for the Soccerroos and what he thinks Hull's chances are of going up. If anyone's interested:

moomba

TheBrownDog
Oct 3, 2001
Timperley
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Man City
Postecoglou's FMarinos are a game away from the J League title. 3 points and +7 GD ahead of FC Tokyo who they play next week at home in the last match of the season.

drd23

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 28, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Sounds like he's not a good guy given the other things he's been arrest for, but the club surely has to take responsibility for apparently not doing even a cursory search on the guy

SM

Bigfooty Legend
Aug 3, 2008
North Shore
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Hull City, Adelaide United, EH
******* terrible to hear, can't imagine what it would be like to go through. Not sure how to word this in the right way, but especially as a footballer with so much money it would be so tough for him to feel so powerless.

RPCB

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United
Horrendous to read that. Their family and friends would just feel helpless right now. It is simply impossible to take the pain away. :(

Top Bottom