The on topic thread 2.0

WealstoneRaider

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
You can't drink at football grounds so standing wont be as good as it is in other sports like AFL or Ruggers.

I will give it a go regardless.
It’ll be shit. You won’t even be allowed to pack them in or allow those huge surges to occur ‘cos of elf & safety. Anyway can you imagine how the Tarquin’s of today’s world would cope being swept down half a terrace and suddenly finding their faces squashed up tight against some wire meshing? They’ll have to create safe zones for them I’d imagine

Magma

Hall of Famer
Oct 5, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide Bloods, Man City.
unless i have to sit, i'll always stand at the footy. sitting is for kids and the elderly

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SM

Bigfooty Legend
Aug 3, 2008
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Hull City, Adelaide United, EH
Not really strange, most people don’t want to stand, too used to sitting in comfort these days. Factor in that football in England is far more family orientated than before when it was boys and young men standing on the terraces. I’m from that era and have no desire to see it return
Most away games I attended the entire away following stood for the entire game, so no idea what you're talking about.

jd2010

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
The word yiddo has been added to the Oxford dictionary "a supporter of or player for Tottenham Hotspur Football Club"

jd2010

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur

kane249

Oh snap
Oct 27, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Sth Freo, Liverpool, Chicago Bulls
It’ll be shit. You won’t even be allowed to pack them in or allow those huge surges to occur ‘cos of elf & safety. Anyway can you imagine how the Tarquin’s of today’s world would cope being swept down half a terrace and suddenly finding their faces squashed up tight against some wire meshing? They’ll have to create safe zones for them I’d imagine
Yeah because we really want another Hillsborough situation to occur without all that new fangled safety stuff?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WealstoneRaider

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Isnt it Jewish groups who want it stopped?

Plus dont Spurs fans get in trouble for using it outside of the Uk too.
The club actually want to ban the supporters using it. They ran a big review on our relationship with the word, and have basically concluded that although it was born out of honourable intentions, there no longer is a requirement for spurs fans to reclaim the word as there is no widespread anti Semitic chanting directed at Spurs anymore. They also concluded that younger fans chant it without having any understanding of why it was adopted in the first place.

Personally I can see both sides here. You know I’m not PC’s biggest fan but I recognise that standards shift all the time, and if it offends Jewish spurs fans (which apparently it’s a pretty equal split on that) then that’s a reason to ban our supporters using it. The club know banning us saying it though is nigh on impossible at this stage. I think the best they can hope for is that it eventually just gets phased out by the supporters themselves. Will that happen, probably not

Art Vandelay_

TheBrownDog
Oct 28, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Bushrangers
The club actually want to ban the supporters using it. They ran a big review on our relationship with the word, and have basically concluded that although it was born out of honourable intentions, there no longer is a requirement for spurs fans to reclaim the word as there is no widespread anti Semitic chanting directed at Spurs anymore. They also concluded that younger fans chant it without having any understanding of why it was adopted in the first place.

Personally I can see both sides here. You know I’m not PC’s biggest fan but I recognise that standards shift all the time, and if it offends Jewish spurs fans (which apparently it’s a pretty equal split on that) then that’s a reason to ban our supporters using it. The club know banning us saying it though is nigh on impossible at this stage. I think the best they can hope for is that it eventually just gets phased out by the supporters themselves. Will that happen, probably not
Not really. Within the last year this has been from the club.

British soccer club Tottenham Hotspur said Wednesday that only “a total clampdown” on anti-Semitism would make it reassess club standards on its fans affectionately chanting an offensive term for Jews.

Tottenham said its fans “have never used the term with any offense,” adding that “a reassessment of its use can only occur effectively within the context of a total clampdown on unacceptable anti-Semitism.”

jd2010

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur

Top Bottom