The on topic thread 2.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

"According to Greater Manchester Police figures, there was an average difference of 7,482 between the official attendance given by the cluband the actual numbers recorded there in 12 games the police attended in the first half of last season; basically it suggests that one in every six seats at the stadium was empty, putting the club at 83 per cent capacity rather than the 97 per cent claimed."

"GMP's figure for the Southampton game in November as 38,130 - effectively a stadium only two-thirds full and 15,277 less than claimed - also caused some headscratching from within the club about how accurate the data is."

"According to Greater Manchester Police figures, there was an average difference of 7,482 between the official attendance given by the cluband the actual numbers recorded there in 12 games the police attended in the first half of last season; basically it suggests that one in every six seats at the stadium was empty, putting the club at 83 per cent capacity rather than the 97 per cent claimed."

"GMP's figure for the Southampton game in November as 38,130 - effectively a stadium only two-thirds full and 15,277 less than claimed - also caused some headscratching from within the club about how accurate the data is."
That's nothing that weird, we do it too. You count based on paid tickets.

That's nothing that weird, we do it too. You count based on paid tickets.

I'd imagine every club does it. It does explain the massive disparity between City's reported attendance figures and what (visually at least) appears to be a frequently only 3/4 full stadium, even for bigger games.

I'd say it's an issue worth addressing for City. If as reported, 95%+ of match tickets are being bought every week, where are they? We've heard travel and public transport listed as potential reasons, but surely that's true for any club. Why are there more barriers to City supporters attending games than there are for other clubs? Are City supporters actually buying these tickets?

If having seats paid for is all that mattered, clubs would just get a sponsor to buy them all and play in front of an empty stadium every week.

I'd imagine every club does it. It does explain the massive disparity between City's reported attendance figures and what (visually at least) appears to be a frequently only 3/4 full stadium, even for bigger games.

I'd say it's an issue worth addressing for City. If as reported, 95%+ of match tickets are being bought every week, where are they? We've heard travel and public transport listed as potential reasons, but surely that's true for any club. Why are there more barriers to City supporters attending games than there are for other clubs? Are City supporters actually buying these tickets?

If having seats paid for is all that mattered, clubs would just get a sponsor to buy them all and play in front of an empty stadium every week.

Season ticket holders who can't go for a particular game.

It is odd though that more aren't going.

No one says it doesn't matter, just that that's technically the amount of sold seats in the stadium.

Arsenal are amongst the clubs that do it. Repeatedly stating the attendance (based on ticket sales) of 59,000+ when clearly you can see many empty seats.

Whether people turn up or not, they’ve paid to do so. The clubs at least receive their revenue regardless so am not too sure they’ll be that concerned.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think there's any more barriers for us although the infrastructure around the ground is awful.

I also don't think we have any more non attenders than other clubs, what we don't have is a huge number of people willing to step in and buy a ticket when someone can't make it.

I don't think the club is too bothered tbh. They get their money, every match is a sellout.

For me they should be. Every match there's loads around the ground that would love to get inside but can't get a ticket. I know Liverpool have trialled a scheme where you can go on a list and if someone doesn't show up by a certain time locals get let in. Something like that would be a start.

I’m pretty sure I’ve seen at stadiums them announce the crowd attendance as X. That should mean that’s the number of people through the gate not just tickets purchased

I’m pretty sure I’ve seen at stadiums them announce the crowd attendance as X. That should mean that’s the number of people through the gate not just tickets purchased
You're "pretty sure"? almost every sporting event in the world does that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back