Not open for further replies.

kangaspurs

Cancelled
Jul 14, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Tottenham, Melbourne City FC
I dont get how its antisemitism if other teams say it but fine if Spurs fans(non jews) say it. I think this article is more about real actual yids not wanting the team used by people who arent even jewish.
You've never heard of reappropriation?

It was used as a pejorative initially to attack a section of the support, and then later the entire support, mostly by your club's fans and Arsenal's. Reclaiming it and making it a badge of honor and a source of pride is the intention.

The Club has regularly supported the fans with this and so have significant sections of the Jewish support of the club, although I do recognise that obviously there are some sections of the Jewish community that don't agree.

But with anything, intent matters. And the intent in this case is solidarity and disarming the actual antisemites that compromise significant percentages of the Chelsea, Arsenal and West Ham supporter bases, both currently and in the past.

Oct 5, 2007
Yorta Yorta country
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
BlueCo
You've never heard of reappropriation?

It was used as a pejorative initially to attack a section of the support, and then later the entire support, mostly by your club's fans and Arsenal's. Reclaiming it and making it a badge of honor and a source of pride is the intention.

The Club has regularly supported the fans with this and so have significant sections of the Jewish support of the club, although I do recognise that obviously there are some sections of the Jewish community that don't agree.

But with anything, intent matters. And the intent in this case is solidarity and disarming the actual antisemites that compromise significant percentages of the Chelsea, Arsenal and West Ham supporter bases, both currently and in the past.
I think its gotten to the stage that as its your unofficial nickname other clubs are sometimes getting in trouble by using it like that and not with an antisemitism angle. Not all the time but sometimes.

Fans need to ge smarter and realise what they are actually singing.

Zoom

Carefree
Dec 16, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Life ban for homophobic slurs IMO. Absolute no go zone. That crap is still prevalent in society unfortunately. Even on this board, you can find Spurs fans casually using homophobic insults such as rent boy etc. Sad stuff but it’s great that the football world are making it known they want absolutely nothing to do with such disgraceful fans.

WealstoneRaider

Cancelled
10k Posts I reneged on a bet or agreement :(
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Life ban for homophobic slurs IMO. Absolute no go zone. That crap is still prevalent in society unfortunately. Even on this board, you can find Spurs fans casually using homophobic insults such as rent boy etc. Sad stuff but it’s great that the football world are making it known they want absolutely nothing to do with such disgraceful fans.
You’re too delicate for this world mate

WealstoneRaider

Cancelled
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Because I’m calling out s**t behaviour? I reckon I could find many posts of yours condemning similar incidents.
I’m not one for homophobic chanting, would never join in with it (although probably did long ago when it was considered as nothing but banter). However, Chelsea have been called “rent boys” for as long as I can remember. Why suddenly now is it deemed worthy of a Police investigation and ban? We’ve got people being stabbed up on the streets daily and yet this is what is causing the police concern. Pretty stupid really.

I’m not one for homophobic chanting, would never join in with it (although probably did long ago when it was considered as nothing but banter). However, Chelsea have been called “rent boys” for as long as I can remember. Why suddenly now is it deemed worthy of a Police investigation and ban? We’ve got people being stabbed up on the streets daily and yet this is what is causing the police concern. Pretty stupid really.

You don't reckon hate crimes in the streets might be spurred on by misplaced attitudes?

Oct 5, 2007
Yorta Yorta country
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
BlueCo
I guess because its homophobic and people are complaining about it and find it offensive. I guess we shouldnt stop being racist or sexist etc

Just because something has happened for years doesnt mean it isnt right and we shouldn't stop it.

Last edited:

WealstoneRaider

Cancelled
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
You don't reckon hate crimes in the streets might be spurred on by misplaced attitudes?
You educate people. Run some sort of programme for people like this. Attitudes have changed as have my own on this issue. When I worked with an openly gay person for the first time I realised myself that you can have a good relationship and not be compromised, but lots of straight young men would be appalled at that thought. So educate. The funny thing is the gay men I have known revel in being gay and the notoriety of it. They are actually the first to banter about it when they view you as a mate. A heavy handed approach just makes things worse imo

Apr 14, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal
IMG_20190107_193354.jpg

WealstoneRaider

Cancelled
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Since when was mocking nazis a bad thing? I suppose they better stop showing reruns of Fawlty Towers next

Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United
I guess Mignolet is still suffering from his concussion. At least he dived for Wolves 2nd goal I suppose lol.

Footballers do some weird s**t.

He denied it too lol.

Since when was mocking nazis a bad thing? I suppose they better stop showing reruns of Fawlty Towers next

Greatest ever scene in television history.

Well the fact he denied it is the funniest bit to me.

Sep 5, 2014
Hertford
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Manchester United, Stevenage FC
They should all be banned for life. “Rent boys” utterly despicable behaviour
Ironic that Chelsea fans on here are getting upset given their matchgoing fans are a broad demographic of middle class xenophobes, casual anti-semites and far-right thugs.

Most Chelsea fans on here mustn't have been to stamford bridge i guess.

Oct 5, 2007
Yorta Yorta country
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
BlueCo
Ironic that Chelsea fans on here are getting upset given their matchgoing fans are a broad demographic of middle class xenophobes, casual anti-semites and far-right thugs.

Most Chelsea fans on here mustn't have been to stamford bridge i guess.

Not sure how that makes being homophobic 'right'. I'm the first to call out our s**t fans and s**t behaviour.

Sep 5, 2014
Hertford
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Manchester United, Stevenage FC
Not sure how that makes being homophobic 'right'. I'm the first to call out our s**t fans and s**t behaviour.
It's akin to the Sun and Mail journos calling out people for being racist to Sterling and other black footballers.

Oct 5, 2007
Yorta Yorta country
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
BlueCo
It's akin to the Sun and Mail journos calling out people for being racist to Sterling and other black footballers.

Yeah i dunno, its kind of weird people who use slurs like this trying to call out other people/clubs about stuff.

Pot kettle black i guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back