Status
Not open for further replies.

WealstoneRaider

Cancelled
10k Posts I reneged on a bet or agreement :(
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Why is the onus on the victim not to behave in a way that will inflame or exacerbate the situation? He didn’t choose to be in that situation.

He’s there in his workplace being racially abused, why does he all of a sudden have to be the “bigger man” and not provoke things further?

Good on Kean for scoring and then letting them know about it. **** the racist campaigners.
That’s not really the main point. The point is when players react to abuse that isn’t of a racial nature then they get widely condemned. A good example of this is in the old firm matches as suggested by Bradesmaen. You can’t pick and choose what is deemed offensive enough to have a go back and what is not. Must have consistency

Apparently accusing people of victim blaming is a personal dig. Maybe those people should move into the 21st century if they're so sensitive about being called out for what they're doing.

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
No it doesn't. If this was about faith instead it'd be fine, but because it's race it is blown way out of proportion. Look at the Scott Brown comments for example. Same old same old in politics where the far left virtue signallers shout down people rather than helping solve the original problems. Cagliari should be forced to play the rest of the season behind closed doors, the racist supporters banned and a massive fine. Kean should be counselled. There are plenty of black players who have been racially vilified in football but have chosen to let their footballing speak for themselves and fight the good fight off the pitch.

'Fight the good fight off the pitch' is when nobody's paying attention. The racists get away with it. 'Let your X/Y/Z do the talking' is terrible; what people say when they don't want a scene but pretend they're giving advice. This has gotten the 'off the pitch' attention it has because he didn't sit there and take it.

Last edited:

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal, New York Yankees
The way I read it, was that the old Firm incident was not racial, and where do you draw the line? I didn’t watch the old form match so can’t relate.

Thanks for that context, I’m with you. Similar to you, I haven’t seen it either. And my original comment had nothing to do with the old firm, so am also unsure why he’s quoting my posts to make a separate point.

My comments were in relation to the Kean incident and Bonucci’s take on it.

Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United
Change of pace for second but only for a second please, because the above is all kicking off. Bayern Munich are ass******* Borussia Dortmund 4-0 at halftime lol. I still recall when our resident Dortmund supporter called them the 3rd best team in Europe only a few months ago. What the hell happened?

WealstoneRaider

Cancelled
10k Posts I reneged on a bet or agreement :(
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Change of pace for second but only for a second please, because the above is all kicking off. Bayern Munich are ass******* Borussia Dortmund 4-0 at halftime lol. I still recall when our resident Dortmund supporter called them the 3rd best team in Europe only a few months ago. What the hell happened?
Dortmund seem to have collapsed. Looked certainties for the Bundesliga a few months back

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg

wadistance

Aug 4, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Everton
I would’ve thought it’s pretty simple, there is literally nothing a player can do to justify being racially abused. If someone is being a campaigner, call them a campaigner. Their race has nothing to do with that.

If you think celebrating a goal after already being consistently racially abused, in any way justifies the abuse, warrants further abuse or puts any responsibility on the player, then you’re part of the problem.

Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United
I would’ve thought it’s pretty simple, there is literally nothing a player can do to justify being racially abused. If someone is being a campaigner, call them a campaigner. Their race has nothing to do with that.

If you think celebrating a goal after already being consistently racially abused, in any way justifies the abuse, warrants further abuse or puts any responsibility on the player, then you’re part of the problem.

The celebration in front of the Cagliari fans was fairly subdued anyway. Kean scored and then went in front of the home fans and stared out into the stands, arms outstretched. And then was shoved/pulled away by the keeper and a teammate.

How anyone can justify Bonucci’s comments is beyond me and then there is the way that they were defended. “If Kean was in a potential bar fight and his friend tried to pull him away and then he stuck his middle finger up at him, of course it gives the other guy the right to charge at him”. Yet Kean didn’t antagonise the fans, THEN got racially abused and then went back to antagonise them again. He got racially abused from the very start and he had enough by the time he scored 80+ minutes later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back