The on topic thread 2.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's obviously been lots of criticism.of us since the takeover from certain areas but over the past year it seems to be focussed more on supporters.

Four or five journos are regularly stirring the pot in their articles and on social media and it is all turning a bit nasty.

I posted on a city site back in mid May that a blue is going to get hurt before too long because someone is going to get so worked up by the press that they'll take it out on "evil City supporters".

This may just be a coincidence, but what possesses someone to drive up to a stranger shout anti City abuse and throw some form of acid at them.

Thus person may not even be a City fan, just wearing her work uniform.

Which journalists? Examples of them calling for violence against City staff and/or fans?

Whos to say it wasnt a disgruntled ex employee?

I know City fans have been buying into far fetches conspiracy theories but this one takes the cake. Claiming journalists are inciting violence against City.
The funny thing is there were all sorts of City fans on social media calling for the scousers to get battered by the italians after Liverpool rinsed City in the quarters.

Should they be blamed for the sickening attack on Sean Cox?

Which journalists? Examples of them calling for violence against City staff and/or fans?

Whos to say it wasnt a disgruntled ex employee?

I know City fans have been buying into far fetches conspiracy theories but this one takes the cake. Claiming journalists are inciting violence against City.
The funny thing is there were all sorts of City fans on social media calling for the scousers to get battered by the italians after Liverpool rinsed City in the quarters.

Should they be blamed for the sickening attack on Sean Cox?
You're attacking the man for answering a question. Ease up.

I don’t think Moomba is claiming journalists have called for violence against City fans. But there have been sections of the media for the last couple of years that continually peddle that city are ‘ruining the English game using foreign money’. That’s then gotten pushed further and further on social media.

I’m not claiming it’s happened here at all, but if you tell enough people that a specific club is responsible for ruining their favourite pastime, some undesirable incidents will happen.

Of course I'm not claiming that. Zidane being Zidane I guess.

I remember when people used to say that the harrassing of Sterling in the media wasn't a big issue.

I think Zidane was one of those as well.

But when Sterling got assaulted outside our training ground it started to twig with a few in the media that their words do have an effect on people and while they might not be calling for violence there can be consequences to what they say and write.

Last edited:
Must have a free media though. Sterling did make some questionable decisions that the media were right to call out. Perhaps they did go too far and witch-hunts should be avoided but Sterling wasn’t the first to experience that. Would hate to have a media that were pressured not to criticise because of an over sensitivity in some quarters

Norwich at home is an easy fixture on paper, but promoted teams always have a bit of something extra in them first day of the season, plus their an unknown quantity.

Of course I'm not claiming that. Zidane being Zidane I guess.

I remember when people used to say that the harrassing of Sterling in the media wasn't a big issue.

I think Zidane was one of those as well.

But when Sterling got assaulted outside our training ground it started to twig with a few in the media that their words do have an effect on people and while they might not be calling for violence there can be consequences to what they say and write.

You claimed that media articles about City were the reason behind the attack without having any idea who was the guilty party. It could have been a disgruntled employee. It could have been a crazed rival United fan taking things too far. To link media reporting with the attack is typical of the everything is a conspiracy against Man City attitude we see from fans like yourself. And on that note - please link us to an article about Man City that could possibly cause someone to attack an innocent person in Man City clothing.

You mention Sterling getting assaulted outside your training ground. Shamal George, our reserve goalkeeper, was also assaulted in a racially aggravated attack. Those that are willing to commit such heinous crimes need no encouragement from media coverage. One player is a high profile footballer, the other a relatively low profile 3rd/4th choice goalkeeper so they have happened regardless of media coverage and unfortunately will happen again with the problems we still have in society. The only person to blame on these attacks is the attacker himself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You claimed that media articles about City were the reason behind the attack without having any idea who was the guilty party. It could have been a disgruntled employee. It could have been a crazed rival United fan taking things too far. To link media reporting with the attack is typical of the everything is a conspiracy against Man City attitude we see from fans like yourself. And on that note - please link us to an article about Man City that could possibly cause someone to attack an innocent person in Man City clothing.

It may not be related, I said it could be a consequence in my last post. But I said on May 15th, that people are getting so wound up by the press that it's only a matter of time before a City supporter is hurt.

Never felt the need to say that before, so something has obviously changed. And if this is just a coincidence, then sadly I suspect this will come up again before too long.

If you want to find an article do some research yourself. Although it is very telling that you seem to have made your mind up already without seeing any of the offending articles.

You mention Sterling getting assaulted outside your training ground. Shamal George, our reserve goalkeeper, was also assaulted in a racially aggravated attack. Those that are willing to commit such heinous crimes need no encouragement from media coverage. One player is a high profile footballer, the other a relatively low profile 3rd/4th choice goalkeeper so they have happened regardless of media coverage and unfortunately will happen again with the problems we still have in society. The only person to blame on these attacks is the attacker himself.

Shamal George got attacked outside a bar at 1am. Sterling got attacked by someone waiting near the players carpark at our training ground during the day before a game.

Are you really trying to make out the two situations are the same?

Last edited:
It may not be related, I said it could be a consequence in my last post. But I said on May 15th, that people are getting so wound up by the press that it's only a matter of time before a City supporter is hurt.

Never felt the need to say that before, so something has obviously changed. And if this is just a coincidence, then sadly I suspect this will come up again before too long.

If you want to find an article do some research yourself. Although it is very telling that you seem to have made your mind up already without seeing any of the offending articles.

Shamal George got attacked outside a bar at 1am. Sterling got attacked by someone waiting near the players carpark at our training ground during the day before a game.

Are you really trying to make out the two situations are the same?

Interesting concept. You make a claim - the onus is on everyone else to prove it.

Ive seen many an article about City, none of which IMO would reasonably cause someone to attack a Man City employee. So until I see an article that does the onus is on you to back up your claims.

Shamal George & Raheem Sterling both suffered racially aggravated attacks. Not sure it makes a difference whether those attacks were suffered outside a bar, inside the local Tesco or outside a training ground. So yes, they are exactly the same.

I don't care if you believe it or not. If I showed you an article that said it's everyone's duty to attack City supporters you still wouldn't believe it.

But it's telling that rather than reserve your judgement until you've seen.the evidence you've rejected the claim already and started talking nonsense about conspiracies and whatnot.

Sure you don't work for UEFA?

Last edited:
I don't care if you believe it or not. If I showed you an article that said it's everyone's duty to attack City supporters you still wouldn't believe it.

But it's telling that rather than reserve your judgement until you've seen.the evidence you've rejected the claim already and started talking nonsense about conspiracies and whatnot.

Sure you don't work for UEFA?

Ha ha you dont think for me. Reasonable people can expect one to backup their claims - something it appears you are unable to do.

So what if I was an employee of UEFA? Bettee be careful of all those City fan articles moaning about FFP conspiracy theories in that case. You never know - they may encourage a City fan to physically attack a UEFA employee.

Ha ha you dont think for me. Reasonable people can expect one to backup their claims - something it appears you are unable to do.

So what if I was an employee of UEFA? Bettee be careful of all those City fan articles moaning about FFP conspiracy theories in that case. You never know - they may encourage a City fan to physically attack a UEFA employee.

You continue to make strawman arguments about conspiracies. And you continue to suggest that people are saying that the media are deliberarely trying to encourage people to attack City fans.

You're certainly dishonest enough to work for UEFA.

If you were genuine, I'd be happy to discuss articles and comments. ADL asked a genuine question and I was happy to answer it But you're about as far from genuine as it gets.

So I'm not going to waste my time. Interesting that you've previously complained about the media labelling Salah as a diver, and that affects how he's seen by the football public. I guess when it comes to Liverpool the media does have some influence to be concerned about.

Last edited:
You continue to make strawman arguments about conspiracies. And you continue to suggest that people are saying that the media are deliberarely trying to encourage people to attack City fans.

You're certainly dishonest enough to work for UEFA.

If you were genuine, I'd be happy to discuss articles and comments. ADL asked a genuine question and I was happy to answer it But you're about as far from genuine as it gets.

So I'm not going to waste my time. Interesting that you've previously complained about the media labelling Salah as a diver, and that affects how he's seen by the football public. I guess when it comes to Liverpool the media does have some influence to be concerned about.

Ha ha. Most of your post is a strawman argument. Youve lost the plot old man, resorting to offensive digs at me all because I simply asked you to show an example of what you were claiming - something you clearly are unable to do.

Do you even know what a strawman argument is? Clearly not.

And if you're going to whine about offensive digs at you, it's probably best not to make gratuitous remarks about my age. Some might see it as a touch hypocritical.

surprised about the amount of crying done online about the usa womens team winning 13-0. it's a world cup. dont let your foot off for one second. you'd feel a bit stupid if you let up and 'only' won 6-0, and then you put yourself into a position where if another side tops that result you get knocked out.

it's much more disrespectful to stop trying and not celebrate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back