Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Chicago Bulls.
I said it doesn't mean they couldn't function together meaning, they would work as a pair.
Yeah I disagreed with you saying most people would take Silva before Gerrard which I dont agree with.

They would easily have worked as a pair for sure. Would have been devastating together.

Could start with spreading out the EPL relegation parachute payments and having the EFL's version of FFP be enforceable in the EPL also. The fact that a club can get off scot-free from violating the rules if they get promoted is ridiculous
FFP won't stop clubs from going under, what they need to do is change the rules to what they were originally intended for.

Agree on spreading parachute payments. Compulsory relegation clauses would avoid the need for big parachute payments. But mainly clubs at the top should give up a bigger percentage to the league's below.

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Clubs have still got to manage their money, but much more could come from the top end of the game.

Saw a graph the other day, the disparity between the league's has shot up over the past twenty years.

Even it out a bit more and the lower league clubs get much needed funds, and there isn't the big incentive to jeopardise your club chasing promotion.

It would be out of character for the Premier League to give more money to lower level clubs. And the problem is more existential than that. What were Bury representing in Greater Manchester (other than "hur hur the part called Bury derr!")?

Last edited:
It would be out of character for the Premier League to give more money to lower level clubs. And the problem is more existential than that. What were Bury representing in Greater Manchester (other "hur hur the part called Bury derr!")?
Definitely out of character, believe it was put to a vote a year or two ago and didn't get close.

All of these lower league clubs represent a community, for me they're just as much a part of the English game as your clubs at the top end.

Feb 28, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens, Atletico
FFP won't stop clubs from going under, what they need to do is change the rules to what they were originally intended for.
Obviously, but the problem is how FFP rules are crafted, especially in the context of the Championship.

If they break the rules but do well enough, they get promoted and are no longer under the jurisdiction of the EFL (as was the case with Bournemouth who spent 205% of their turnover on wages the year they got promoted), and if they do poorly while overspending (as apparently was the case with Birmingham in 17/18) then financial punishment only makes a bad situation worse.

This problem applies to UEFA's FFP rules too (at least in the context of financial penalties and exclusion from competitions).

Unfortunately you can't rely purely on owners being fiscally responsible when many of them aren't playing with their own money and there is such a large incentive to spend to do well, be that promotion to the EPL, qualification for the Champions League or the prize money on offer for getting to the group stage of the UCL.

Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
Yeah I disagreed with you saying most people would take Silva before Gerrard which I dont agree with.

They would easily have worked as a pair for sure. Would have been devastating together.
I also think Silva is much better technically than Gerrard.

In terms of technique though, Gerrard is far superior in striking a ball.

I'll never understand the point of financial penalties for clubs for the overextending. For me I'd scrap any financial penalty for breaking a rule designed to stop clubs getting into financial difficulty.

If clubs overspend they should provide guarantees that it will be covered by equity and not debt. And maybe needs to be monitored more closely with business plans submitted and the like.

But just saying you can't do it? That's all about protecting the bigger clubs and nothing to do with stopping financial disasters.

Feb 28, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens, Atletico
And maybe needs to be monitored more closely with business plans submitted and the like.
Apparently EFL FFP rules allow clubs that have not recently been in the EPL to overspend by 15m over a 3 year period, but even more if they can provide evidence of a business plan. Unfortunately the rules are so lax that apparently the plan can include relying on promotion

Oct 5, 2007
Yorta Yorta country
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
BlueCo
Screenshot_20190830-203122_Samsung Internet.jpg

Disagree with that. They couldnt be more different when it comes to midfielders though. Gerrard all day long though. Power, technique, leadership, pass, tackle, good in the air. He could do everything at a super high level. Silva is absolute world class too though.
ROFL.

Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Chicago Bulls.
I also think Silva is much better technically than Gerrard.

In terms of technique though, Gerrard is far superior in striking a ball.
Both have their strengths. Vastly different midfielders.

In any case I don't believe Silva to be the best midfielder in PL history.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back