The on topic thread 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
The way it is now works. It still sucks though. Hate international breaks especially when your team is very good
I hate Int Breaks because Australia are pretty bad.

jd2010

Well done boys. Good process, carry on
Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, Brentford FC
A lot of the South American countries. Some of the less fancied European countries where qualification is a big deal and not just a formality.
The South Americans are nuts and love seeing the players come back. In Europe it would be less than a quarter of the countries who get sell outs (or close to) for most of their games.

Czech Republic couldn't fill a 20k stadium against Bulgaria, Bulgaria had less than 5k people at a 40k stadium, Portugal 10k off filling Estadio da Luz against Serbia, Estonia half full against Northern Ireland, Switzerland half fall against Denmark etc.

Kompany

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 23, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
There’s actually always a significant increase in attendances at non-league football during international breaks.

This is absolutely the case.

I don't mind the international breaks. It's just that this one is a bit too early in the season. Many leagues have only had 3-4 rounds and this weekend off comes too soon.

Gameova_

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
This is absolutely the case.

I don't mind the international breaks. It's just that this one is a bit too early in the season. Many leagues have only had 3-4 rounds and this weekend off comes too soon.

It's not early actually a week late. The first international break in the premier league is nearly always after the first three rounds. This year it's after four.

Kompany

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 23, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
It's not early actually a week late. The first international break in the premier league is nearly always after the first three rounds. This year it's after four.

Yeah but I mean I think this break comes a bit too early in the season. I would organise it by the end of September/early October.

Lol weren't City to let him leave because he was deemed surplus.
No, we offered him an extension but he wanted to move. Common knowledge he'd agreed a deal with Liverpool a good year before he left (pretty sure I posted it on here).

Personally wouldn't waste the energy booing or cheering Milner in a regular game let alone a testimonial.

Remember the year after he left he got a great reception at our place. The relationship has soured a bit over the years though.

Oct 5, 2007
Yorta Yorta country
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
BlueCo
Eto'o has retired. Loved watching him play.

Will.B.Worth.Da.Waite

Premiership Player
Feb 26, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
No, we offered him an extension but he wanted to move. Common knowledge he'd agreed a deal with Liverpool a good year before he left (pretty sure I posted it on here).

Personally wouldn't waste the energy booing or cheering Milner in a regular game let alone a testimonial.

Remember the year after he left he got a great reception at our place. The relationship has soured a bit over the years though.
Why? What's he done to make things worse?

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg

Cant see why the relationship would have soured. He did leave to win Champions League, can hardly hold that against Milly.

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal, New York Yankees
Winding contracts down so the players themselves receive a sign on fee (in lieu of a club paying a transfer fee) is a bit of a thing of late. Will likely see this more and more, Milner is hardly alone in that camp.

Why? What's he done to make things worse?
Not much. He made a few comments in the press which upset a few people. They saw it as talking down City, it was more talking up Liverpool imo.

He made a big deal of not celebrating a goal against Villa when he was with us out of respect for the fans, and then celebrated a goal against us. That got a few people's backs up.

Suspect most who don't like him don't even remember why. But I don't think too many are bothered that he"s playing at a testimonial.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Crowd of 31 K for the first ever Manchester Women's Super League Derby.

And as per usual these days, Citeh got the bikkies. Caroline Weir played a cracker and scored the only goal of the game, although Utd has their chances in the 2nd half.

Listened to the game on the BBC World Service, sounds like it was a cracking game at Etihad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back