The on topic thread 2.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bit of talk on the radio about the Belgian and Dutch league's merging.

Seems to be led by the bigger Belgian clubs.

Not sure how far the line it is, or how realistic.
Platini raised this about 10 years ago. The dutch weren't keen then.

I read March and assumed the article was this year!

The idea was reborn again late last year, and its the bigger clubs in those leagues that want to do it for broadcast rights and UCL/UEL purposes. I'm not sure how far beyond just the preliminary talks it has gone though

Hell, even Vincent Kompany said it should happen

Last edited:
Maybe your CEO should of kept his mouth shut instead of acting like a little birch.

27419f2d9cf0694caa816dcfd3f870f5.jpg

Ehhh? Hardly an inflammatory comment. He’s speaking about the literal challenges we face as a club that makes not even half the income of an epl club

Aubameyang forgot to mention that Dembele literally refused to go to training until he was sold, and aumabeyang on many occasions broke team rules my missing training because he was in another country partying

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The idea was reborn again late last year, and its the bigger clubs in those leagues that want to do it for broadcast rights and UCL/UEL purposes. I'm not sure how far beyond just the preliminary talks it has gone though

More revenue from broadcasting but also more competitive matches, making it more interesting for players too. The Belgian league has had a playoff system for the last decade and a bit. 16 teams play 30 games, then points are halved and the top 6 play 10 more games. It's still controversial and far from perfect (the mid table teams also keep playing, but interest is very low), but the playoffs for 1-6 are usually very entertaining.

I'd be in favour of having regular national leagues with fewer teams until let's say January, and then a 2nd half of the season with teams from both countries together, with for example 6 Dutch and 4 Belgian clubs.

20 years ago, the likes of PSV and Anderlecht would've finished in the top 5-6 in England. That's unthinkable nowadays. Belgian champions Club Brugge are more than happy to sell their players to the likes of Villa, Brighton or Bournemouth. This current Ajax is a big exception but they've also had many poor seasons recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back