Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 21, 2018
Bay 314
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man Utd, Boston Celtics, Patriots
Depends on which defensive statistics you’re looking at. Some are useful, but most indicators I hear people quote when assessing defenders are opportunity based.

Without context, absolute values like the total number of tackles a centre back has made don’t tell you anything about his individual quality, other than that he was really busy. Ditto for goalkeepers and total number of saves. Rates are more useful.

Vidic was a phenomenal defender. What Van Dijk has done over the last 2 years is as good as any individual season Vidic put up. Some would argue better. Longevity is the challenge for Van Dijk now if he wants to enter those all time great lists.
1575366612907.png

I would kindly argue these stats mean a lot to defenders.
Yes you are right, vidic even though his best season was in 2009 stats wise he was great from 2008-2013 so 6 years.
If VVD keeps this up for the next 4 years i'm happy for him to take a ballon d'or because he'll deserve it.
Despite the comparison would've loved to see these two head to head.

View attachment 788692

I would kindly argue these stats mean a lot to defenders.
Yes you are right, vidic even though his best season was in 2009 stats wise he was great from 2008-2013 so 6 years.
If VVD keeps this up for the next 4 years i'm happy for him to take a ballon d'or because he'll deserve it.
Despite the comparison would've loved to see these two head to head.
If we are talking about the ballon d'or rankings shouldn't it be 2009 vs 2019? and not include 2008 or 2018?

VVD had 1 league loss all year, winning the Champions League (and less notably, the Super Cup) I think helps players in the rankings too.

Not sure which games Vidic was involved in but Man United had 7 league losses and let in 32 league goals in 2009. Agree Vidic should have been higher than 16th though.

Last edited:

Kompany

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 23, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
EA Sports has removed Marco van Basten from FIFA 20. This is after he had said "sieg heil" live on tv, unknowingly.

Now the context: a Dutch journalist was interviewing a German coach. Towards the end of the interview, van Basten, who was in the tv studio and didn't know he was live on air, made fun of the interviewer's German vocabulary by saying sieg heil, as if to say it would be funny if he'd finish the interview like that. A bit of a lame joke, but nothing but a joke nonetheless and totally harmless.

Similarly, I saw that Virgil Van Dijk was attacked on twitter by Piers Morgan and Cristiano Ronaldo's sister (she went in brutally), because they failed to get that VVD was being sarcastic when he said, when during an interview referring to CR, "oh, was he a competitor for the ballon d'or then?".

So much stupidity out there and some media are doing their best to feed it.

WealstoneRaider

Cancelled
10k Posts I reneged on a bet or agreement :(
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Eventually everybody will be afraid to even open their mouth. I already see that in the workplace and increasingly in social settings. We are tearing ourselves apart in reality. Very sad times

WealstoneRaider

Cancelled
10k Posts I reneged on a bet or agreement :(
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
MD36 :D

no but where to begin? Probably the CL final but the game was such an anti-climax it didn’t hurt as much as it should have. Selling Bale was another bad one. Losing to Juventus at Wembley in the CL after playing so well in Turin another

Not the slip?
I can't bring myself to actually say it, so I said what happened 2 seconds before.

Karius's performance vs Real in the CL final, Moreno's performance vs Sevilla in the Europa League Final and when we sold Suarez also hurt.

Dec 21, 2018
Bay 314
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
If we are talking about the ballon d'or rankings shouldn't it be 2009 vs 2019? and not include 2008 or 2018?

VVD had 1 league loss all year, winning the Champions League (and less notably, the Super Cup) I think helps players in the rankings too.

Not sure which games Vidic was involved in but Man United had 7 league losses and let in 32 league goals in 2009. Agree Vidic should have been higher than 16th though.
Yes that is what the picture above says, I only included 2008-2013 because ADL9798 mentioned about longevity.
Vidic is part of the defence that holds the record for most minutes without conceding a goal in epl history.
Plus if that's the case he won the premier league in 2009 and made it to the CL final that same year.
So 1 title for vidic in 2009, 1 title for VVD in 2019.
Again my point proven the votes are so inconsistent.

Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United
Interested to know what everyone's worst moment was for their club this decade. Mine would be Sakho overhitting a pass in 2014.

Sir Alex Ferguson’s retirement.

/thread.

Oct 5, 2007
Yorta Yorta country
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
BlueCo
Interested to know what everyone's worst moment was for their club this decade. Mine would be Sakho overhitting a pass in 2014.

The 2015/16 season. Mou in full meltdown and the players downing tools after a great first 2 seasons under his second coming.

We should have won the league that season with the squad we had. But it all came crashing down and allowed Leicester to cash in.

Dec 21, 2018
Bay 314
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams

Fergie's retirement.
Probably the worst moment of our clubs history.

Ramsey. Welsh twat.

Sep 5, 2014
Hertford
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Manchester United, Stevenage FC
- Wiltord goal at Old Trafford in 02 / 05 FA Cup Final.

- Porto winning at Old Trafford in 04 after a Tim Howard blunder and Scholesy having a goal wrongly ruled out for offside.

- I was pretty devo when we sold David Beckham tbh.

The Fergie retirement stuff is just hindsight. At the time it was a huge shock but didn't really sink in because he had just led us to another title and the last few weeks of the season were a celebration of his achievements really.

- Porto winning at Old Trafford in 04 after a Tim Howard blunder and Scholesy having a goal wrongly ruled out for offside.

The Fergie retirement stuff is just hindsight. At the time it was a huge shock but didn't really sink in because he had just led us to another title and the last few weeks of the season were a celebration of his achievements really.
I was more-so talking about this decade. Where would Balotelli assisting Aguero rank for you?

None of those happened in this decade apart from your last point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back