The on topic thread 3.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 9, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Considering we're talking about the trading and selling of NFTs for increasing amounts of money, not purchasing a ticket to a local gig, reckon you knew exactly what was being talked about.

You're talking about digital art. Digital art is one of many things considered an NFT.

NFTs can also be game video and photographs which clubs can sell as well as NFTs.

When you say NFT it can mean several things to anyone who knows what they are actually talking about.

You're talking about digital art. Digital art is one of many things considered an NFT.

NFTs can also be game video and photographs which clubs can sell as well as NFTs.

When you say NFT it can mean several things to anyone who knows what they are actually talking about.

Fascinating.

May 14, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Juventus, Arsenal, OKC, Avalanche
NFTs may end up being a phase but they do have a lot of benefits for people who buy them. They tend to have tangible items attached to them. For example, you could buy a McDonald’s one that entitles you to free maccas for as long as you own it, or you get a Chelsea on that allows you to attend certain events that may have celebrities/athletes in attendance, could even just be that it validates a Rolex highlighting that it’s a real product and not fake.

It’s still in its infancy and yeh, you can definitely get screwed if you aren’t smart.

The apes situation with Terry, I would have thought it was offensive however, there’s a big craze with NFTs using monkeys/apes such as Bored Apes and Mutant apes for example and many high profile people are purchasing them

Oct 5, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide Bloods, Man City.
NFTs may end up being a phase but they do have a lot of benefits for people who buy them. They tend to have tangible items attached to them. For example, you could buy a McDonald’s one that entitles you to free maccas for as long as you own it, or you get a Chelsea on that allows you to attend certain events that may have celebrities/athletes in attendance, could even just be that it validates a Rolex highlighting that it’s a real product and not fake.

It’s still in its infancy and yeh, you can definitely get screwed if you aren’t smart.

The apes situation with Terry, I would have thought it was offensive however, there’s a big craze with NFTs using monkeys/apes such as Bored Apes and Mutant apes for example and many high profile people are purchasing them
i just find it crazy that people a fawning over stuff because it's attached to a famous person or influence, as if they could never be in on the con. how many of those sorts have put their name to meme coins that have just been pump and dumps? i appreciate that just like anything else, if used correctly it can be used for certain things, and i like the idea of using stuff like this as validation of authenticity for things. to me i consider that different from the 'digital art' component as you could actually get something tangible for your investment. i just wouldn't want to be the guy who's the guinea pig for that getting off the ground.

Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SJ Sharks/Everton/NY Jets

Mason Mount last time United won the PL

mason-mount-and-willian-2013.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 14, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
i just find it crazy that people a fawning over stuff because it's attached to a famous person or influence, as if they could never be in on the con. how many of those sorts have put their name to meme coins that have just been pump and dumps? i appreciate that just like anything else, if used correctly it can be used for certain things, and i like the idea of using stuff like this as validation of authenticity for things. to me i consider that different from the 'digital art' component as you could actually get something tangible for your investment. i just wouldn't want to be the guy who's the guinea pig for that getting off the ground.
That’s society though mate. We’re obsessed with celebrity and what they do/wear/own etc.

At the end of the day, it’s just art that people can own digitally. It’s not that different from physical art. The only other thing that separates it now is the fact you’ll be able to use NFT characters/items in the metaverse - which is another beast altogether.

I don't think any discussing the concept of NFTs being rubbish are discussing the validation side of the technology, it's about the art/video clips/etc. that are bought and sold as if they actually have any fundamental worth.

Mar 11, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool, Patriots & UConn
I don't think any discussing the concept of NFTs being rubbish are discussing the validation side of the technology, it's about the art/video clips/etc. that are bought and sold as if they actually have any fundamental worth.

You mean these guys don't actually know what they're doing? Say it ain't so.

Sep 9, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton

Oh dear.

You do realise that if you own an image or video you can then earn money from it exactly the same way it's been for a long time now.

You know, like how an artist gains monetary returns anytime their song is played...

Digital Art will eventually have copyright properties just like everything else does.

May 14, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
I agree there’s a lot of crap out there but you could really say that about any physical art too?

Just because you can right click and save it, doesn’t necessarily diminish the fact someone owns the property and that it’s artistic. Someone still has to draw said monkey and be creative.

I agree there’s a lot of crap out there but you could really say that about any physical art too?

Just because you can right click and save it, doesn’t necessarily diminish the fact someone owns the property and that it’s artistic. Someone still has to draw said monkey and be creative.

Art valuations are s**t too but at least you have something physical and tangible out of it.

That’s your opinion but it doesn’t diminish the art created by someone, whether it’s digital or physical. Still takes time, effort and creativity to make.

It's not an opinion when anyone can still access and view the same quality and type of image you have paid money for online.

If I own a clip of Buddy kicking his 1000th goal that's meaningless if Joe down the street can watch it on Youtube. There's no inherent value to me in owning that.

If as Bostonian says down the line there would be revenue streams available to you for owning that that Youtube and others would have to pay you, that's a different matter, but as it stands it's a house of cards.

May 14, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
It's not an opinion when anyone can still access and view the same quality and type of image you have paid money for online.

If I own a clip of Buddy kicking his 1000th goal that's meaningless if Joe down the street can watch it on Youtube. There's no inherent value to me in owning that.

If as Bostonian says down the line there would be revenue streams available to you for owning that that Youtube and others would have to pay you, that's a different matter, but as it stands it's a house of cards.
Think of it more like Michael Jackson owning the beatles back catalogue. Beatles created it but now someone else owns their music.

Think of it more like Michael Jackson owning the beatles back catalogue. Beatles created it but now someone else owns their music.
But it's not like that because his estate earns money from that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back