The on topic thread 4.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Not to be a bubble burster but how many young A-league players have gone over to decent European clubs and then come back in a few years? Taggart, Maclaren, Rojas, Burns, Djite, Amini, Ibini, Arzani, Leijer, Ward etc etc.

None of which were scoring hat-tricks at 17 years old.

None of which were scoring hat-tricks at 17 years old.
Neither was Irankunda. McGree scored one at 18, he went, came back, and is now finally settled in the Championship. I hope Irankunda makes it but you have to take it with a pinch of salt given other young exports have struggled at the higher level overseas.

Neither was Irankunda. McGree scored one at 18, he went, came back, and is now finally settled in the Championship. I hope Irankunda makes it but you have to take it with a pinch of salt given other young exports have struggled at the higher level overseas.

McGree didn't start playing professionally until 18. Listen to what Aloisi says

Nobody has been doing what Irankunda has been doing at his age. Bayern Munich aren't stupid.

McGree didn't start playing professionally until 18. Listen to what Aloisi says

Nobody has been doing what Irankunda has been doing at his age. Bayern Munich aren't stupid.

Not sure where you get this pipe dream from. Bayern buy heaps of young talent that never work out. Remember Sarpreet Singh?

Not sure where you get this pipe dream from. Bayern buy heaps of young talent that never work out. Remember Sarpreet Singh?

What about him? Hadn't done anywhere near what Irankunda has or cost anywhere near as much. It wasn't just Bayern that were after Irankunda.

You're pretty desperate to place Irankunda in the same breadth as other A league products but the truth is none of them had done anywhere near what he had done at his age. Many only had a handful of professional appearances at Irankundas age.

Also find me one young A-League star that got this treatment in the past:

What about him? Hadn't done anywhere near what Irankunda has or cost anywhere near as much. It wasn't just Bayern that were after Irankunda.

You're pretty desperate to place Irankunda in the same breadth as other A league products but the truth is none of them had done anywhere near what he had done at his age. Many only had a handful of professional appearances at Irankundas age.

Also find me one young A-League star that got this treatment in the past:

I'm trying to put a lid on it because of people like you touting him up non-stop. He's good, I hope he becomes an elite star but he's playing in the A-league ffs, the same league where no team has made it out of the group stage of the Champions League since 2020. The best striker is a guy who couldn't handle the SPFL or Bundesliga 2. So just take a chill pill on him for a moment.

I'm trying to put a lid on it because of people like you touting him up non-stop. He's good, I hope he becomes an elite star but he's playing in the A-league ffs, the same league where no team has made it out of the group stage of the Champions League since 2020. The best striker is a guy who couldn't handle the SPFL or Bundesliga 2. So just take a chill pill on him for a moment.
Champions league success is pointless to cite when our league has a salary cap.

You keep comparing him to other players when no other product from the A League has done anything remotely what he has at his age.

Nothing wrong with pointing out he is a huge success story of the A-,
League. At this stage he looks destined to be a superstar. Rated one the best 50 young players in the world and scoring hat tricks when most youth products have yet to make their debut in the A League. Multiple big clubs pursued him and Bayern Munich bought him for $5.1 million.

Yet you are trying to compare him to Rojas who done nothing of the sort at Irankunda age.

You keep comparing him to other players when no other product from the A League has done anything remotely what he has at his age.

Nothing wrong with pointing out he is a huge success story of the A-,
League. At this stage he looks destined to be a superstar. Rated one the best 50 young players in the world and scoring hat tricks when most youth products have yet to make their debut in the A League. Multiple big clubs pursued him and Bayern Munich bought him for $5.1 million.

Yet you are trying to compare him to Rojas who done nothing of the sort at Irankunda age.
I gave you examples. You ignored them. Your problem not mine, standard Liverpool fare where you big up someone for no reason. Just don't cry too much if he fails.

I gave you examples. You ignored them. Your problem not mine, standard Liverpool fare where you big up someone for no reason. Just don't cry too much if he fails.

What is wrong with you? All ive said is we've never had a talent like Irankunda at his age come through the A League. You have already dismissed him as a spud which is laughable.

Sorry but I'll take the word of Bayern Munich shelling out $5 million for him over a bitter any day of the week ending in y.

What is wrong with you? All ive said is we've never had a talent like Irankunda at his age come through the A League. You have already dismissed him as a spud which is laughable.

Sorry but I'll take the word of Bayern Munich shelling out $5 million for him over a bitter any day of the week ending in y.
Jennifer Lawrence Reaction GIF

This argument was always going to end by either Taylor Swift or one of them calling the other a Nazi.
That's Jennifer Lawrence.

I have no problem having a discussion but Zidane is going around the evidence like usual and making wild accusations and assumptions that I have not made. At no point did I say Irankunda was going to be a spud and I rebutted the other points with evidence but you know, when someone is in the corner they'll swing with anything to get out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL is a minority sport in NSW/QLD.

Covid set the entire project back 3-5 years but at least WU will privately own its venue. Something no AFL club can achieve.
Granted licence December 2018.
That makes the covid element irrelevant as the issue is that stadia and infrastructure should have been sort prior to entry not after.

AFL may be a minority sport in those states, didn't hinder the AFL from getting both stadium redevelopments fully funded by Government. Because they are the biggest code in the country and have lots of pull. Football Australia can't make any such claims.

Granted licence December 2018.
That makes the covid element irrelevant as the issue is that stadia and infrastructure should have been sort prior to entry not after.

AFL may be a minority sport in those states, didn't hinder the AFL from getting both stadium redevelopments fully funded by Government. Because they are the biggest code in the country and have lots of pull. Football Australia can't make any such claims.
So you expect a consortium to spend a lot of money on designing a stadium and doing the enabling works prior to being granted a licence when they were in a 3 way competition? Never going to happen.

Also that's the power the AFL has as an entity. It brings in much more revenue for governments than the A-league does, so it's easily able to ask for money from Governments. The Governments then own the stadium and it is multi-use. Clearly the Vic Government doesn't see this as something they need, I mean had they we'd be seeing your 200 page rant about Dictator Dan and Junta Jacinta.

The purpose of the A League can't just be about getting the odd kid a move to Europe. They've got to look at participation, development, supporter numbers, media interest, infrastructure, national team etc.

The purpose of the A League can't just be about getting the odd kid a move to Europe. They've got to look at participation, development, supporter numbers, media interest, infrastructure, national team etc.

Participation and development numbers are huge. National team is arguably as successful as its ever been. Crowds are stable on 5 years ago and up on last year with new teams coming in to new markets. Policing is a big issue with maintaining crowds though and is deservedly being looked at.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back