The on topic thread 4.0

Remove this Banner Ad

It would if it was in conjunction with a European bid which is what's being floated.

So which confederation would you consider as host then in the case Egypt/Saudi/Greece bid winning? No confederation?

I'd say a reasonable person would conclude that it is an AFC bid considering the Saudis are putting out there that they will fund infrastructure for Egypt/Greece and seem to be running the show despite not actually submitting an official bid yet.

Countries can't avoid exclusions from bidding simply by adding a joint host from another confederation. That's ridiculous.

Besides, there is a separate actual European bid (Spain/Portugal/Ukraine) anyway.

They'd still be behind a South American bid in terms of timing but also due to the anniversary.

Unless they're counting the American/Canada/Mexico bid as South American as well?

That would be CONCACAF.

Hey, maybe US could bid again in 2034 and add Ireland / Iceland to the equation to claim a "European" 2034 bid!!

Lol. Canada are not excluded because they launched a joint bid with the US & Mexico.

Nicaragua, Dominican Republic & Jamaica however will be excluded from hosting jointly.

Gee you don't say.

It would if it was in conjunction with a European bid which is what's being floated.

“We are considering a bid with Greece and Egypt and we wish that it will be a winning bid,” Al Khateeb said in an interview in Riyadh. “Definitely the three countries would invest heavily in infrastructure and would definitely be ready. And I know by then Saudi Arabia would have state of the art stadiums and fanzones built.”

That was from Saudi Arabia’s tourism minister a few months ago.

They'd still be behind a South American bid in terms of timing but also due to the anniversary.

Unless they're counting the American/Canada/Mexico bid as South American as well?

Ecuador launched a memorandum of understanding or something else with Saudi Arabia recently, likely to resolve this issue.

So which confederation would you consider as host then in the case Egypt/Saudi/Greece bid winning? No confederation?

I'd say a reasonable person would conclude that it is an AFC bid considering the Saudis are putting out there that they will fund infrastructure for Egypt/Greece and seem to be running the show despite not actually submitting an official bid yet.

Countries can't avoid exclusions from bidding simply by adding a joint host from another confederation. That's ridiculous.

Besides, there is a separate actual European bid (Spain/Portugal/Ukraine) anyway.

I’d consider the host to be the country that hosts the opening match.

Not sure what Ecuador have to do with it. South America bid is Paraguay, Chile, Uruguay & Argentina.

I can see these bids on Wikipedia but I don’t actually know if any bids are actually confirmed yet, same with Saudi/Egypt/Greece. Although we will soon find out as the winning host(s) will be announced next year.

“We are considering a bid with Greece and Egypt and we wish that it will be a winning bid,” Al Khateeb said in an interview in Riyadh. “Definitely the three countries would invest heavily in infrastructure and would definitely be ready. And I know by then Saudi Arabia would have state of the art stadiums and fanzones built.”

That was from Saudi Arabia’s tourism minister a few months ago.

And yet with hosts being decided next year they are still yet to submit an official bid.

Lol @ the idea of all nations being joint investors. This is pretty telling

Saudis won't get support outside Middle Eastern & African nations for this blatant sportswashing attempt.

I can see these bids on Wikipedia but I don’t actually know if any bids are actually confirmed yet, same with Saudi/Egypt/Greece. Although we will soon find out as the winning host(s) will be announced next year.

And yet with hosts being decided next year they are still yet to submit an official bid.

Lol @ the idea of all nations being joint investors. This is pretty telling

Saudis won't get support outside Middle Eastern & African nations for this blatant sportswashing attempt.

I think it’s pretty ridiculous anyway. Greece’s economy was in the shitter for years and it is still not great and no surprise that it all started a few short years after hosting the 2004 Olympics. I reckon a lot of their own citizens wouldn’t even want to host the World Cup. So unless Saudi Arabia pay Greece’s stake in it, Greece’s government sure as s**t shouldn’t.

I think it’s pretty ridiculous anyway. Greece’s economy was in the shitter for years and it is still not great and no surprise that it all started a few short years after hosting the 2004 Olympics. I reckon a lot of their own citizens wouldn’t even want to host the World Cup. So unless Saudi Arabia pay Greece’s stake in it, Greece’s government sure as s**t shouldn’t.

The other European nations will just love Greece jointly hosting in 2030 killing off their hopes of hosting in 2034 too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There will be another mid-season World Cup. There were a number of reasons Qatar shouldn’t have hosted but timing wasn’t one of them. Can’t call it the World Cup and then not give a region of the world any opportunity to host it.

Excuse my ignorance but how would that help? That's one nation in a continent of football.

To be honest I'm not across the detail all I know is it was reported maybe a month or so ago that they were essentially trying to help Saudi Arabia with their bid or something.

There will be another mid-season World Cup. There were a number of reasons Qatar shouldn’t have hosted but timing wasn’t one of them. Can’t call it the World Cup and then not a region of the world any opportunity to host it.

On that logic Iceland, Vanuatu, Nepal, Latvia etc all deserve a chance at hosting a world cup.

There are plenty of options in every region of the world that has the infrastructure and climate to host the tournament in June / July. Any bid that doesn't simply will never get enough votes from 211 member associations to succeed. It simply won't happen again and the only reason it happened once was because Qatar were able to buy votes from a 24 person committee who didn't care about the consequences of the tournament inevitably being shifted because of a clearly unsuitable climate for hosting.

A mid season world cup is a terrible idea for many reasons. Qatar did after all bid on the premise that the tournament would be held in June / July with artificial clouds and air conditioned fan zones / stadiums.

A suitable climate in June /July and suitable infrastructure across all joint hosts is an absolute must for a world cup bid to succeed.

On that logic Iceland, Vanuatu, Nepal, Latvia etc all deserve a chance at hosting a world cup.

There are plenty of options in every region of the world that has the infrastructure and climate to host the tournament in June / July. Any bid that doesn't simply will never get enough votes from 211 member associations to succeed. It simply won't happen again and the only reason it happened once was because Qatar were able to buy votes from a 24 person committee who didn't care about the consequences of the tournament inevitably being shifted because of a clearly unsuitable climate for hosting.

A mid season world cup is a terrible idea for many reasons. Qatar did after all bid on the premise that the tournament would be held in June / July with artificial clouds and air conditioned fan zones / stadiums.

A suitable climate in June /July and suitable infrastructure across all joint hosts is an absolute must for a world cup bid to succeed.

Why shouldn't Iceland be able to host a couple of games? Would be great!

Read that article because I think you’re using the term incorrectly.

I don't need to read it, the Karens arrived in the late 90s in internet chat rooms. They were "moms" of the Beckys.

I bet that article doesn't mention anything about Dane Cook or Mean Girls does it?

Let's recall Cook circa 2005...

"Every group has a Karen, and she is always a bag of douche," "And when she's not around, you just look at each other and say, 'God, Karen, she's such a douchebag!'"

So using Karen as a name for douchebag middle aged white women was around long before some kids thought they were edgy and started using it in a meme.

Pop culture history.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back