The on topic thread 4.0

Remove this Banner Ad

It's been a horrid 12-18 months for Ronaldo falling off a cliff. Which has really been exacerbated by Messi dominating this tournament.

No real shame in Ronaldo finally falling away after unprecedented success though .

It's the way you go about it that determines the real GOATS.

Zidane announced months before Germany 2006 that he was finishing up no matter what the result was, no matter what team tried to sign him. Politely refused a new contract at Real Madrid. That's the right way for a GOAT to finish up. I believe Messi will finish in a similar manner. He is a humble guy and can't see him hanging on when he is past it. Ronaldo's behavior is very damaging to his legacy.

It's the way you go about it that determines the real GOATS.

Zidane announced months before Germany 2006 that he was finishing up no matter what the result was, no matter what team tried to sign him. Politely refused a new contract at Real Madrid. That's the right way for a GOAT to finish up. I believe Messi will finish in a similar manner. He is a humble guy and can't see him hanging on when he is past it. Ronaldo's behavior is very damaging to his legacy.

Let’s just hope that whoever Messi headbutts in his final match isn’t an extremely tall person.

Does this mean Messi will automatically win the Ballon D'Or or does it get forgotten about because Benzema only recently won the 2022 trophy? Obviously Messi wins Ligue 1 - that goes without saying. The real test will be the CL. Also, if Messi joins a MLS or Argentinian club after this season will that effect his Ballon D'Or chances? In normal circumstances a dominant performance at a WC would have secured him the trophy.

Does this mean Messi will automatically win the Ballon D'Or or does it get forgotten about because Benzema only recently won the 2022 trophy? Obviously Messi wins Ligue 1 - that goes without saying. The real test will be the CL. Also, if Messi joins a MLS or Argentinian club after this season will that effect his Ballon D'Or chances? In normal circumstances a dominant performance at a WC would have secured him the trophy.

International tournaments are always given preferential treatment in Ballon d’Or voting. Messi was the player of the tournament, scored 7 goals and won the World Cup. That should win it for him.

On a similar note, I just had a look and from the 1978 WC and onwards, only one player had scored more than 6 goals in a WC tournament. Ronaldo with 8 in 2002. This year, Mbappe scored 8 goals and Messi scored 7 goals. Incredible.

International tournaments are always given preferential treatment in Ballon d’Or voting. Messi was the player of the tournament, scored 7 goals and won the World Cup. That should win it for him.

On a similar note, I just had a look and from the 1978 WC and onwards, only one player had scored more than 6 goals in a WC tournament. Ronaldo with 8 in 2002. This year, Mbappe scored 8 goals and Messi scored 7 goals. Incredible.

Wouldn't this guy get Ballon D'Or in that case?

Guess Qatar 22 will be mostly forgotten about by November next year.

Seems ridiculous that 2022 Ballon D'Or voting was done before Qatar 2022.
Ballon D'Or is now judged from August to July so no longer the calendar year. World cup will count for 2023 award.

Still the first hattrick in world cup finals wasn't it?

As his teammates showed, penalties are no sure thing.

First since 66 I think. They're no sure thing but those teammates aren't the designated pen taker, he is. One penalty, ok sure you've still scored two, but two of the three from the spot cheapens it for me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

First since 66 I think. They're no sure thing but those teammates aren't the designated pen taker, he is. One penalty, ok sure you've still scored two, but two of the three from the spot cheapens it for me.

It depends. What if a player goes on an amazing run and is scythed down? Them scoring a pen shouldnt cheapen it.

Its harder to score a second penalty after you converted one to convert 3 in a WC final is insane and shows you've never played football.

The best thing for Ronaldo’s PR, which has taken a battering recently, would be a simple social media post congratulating Messi on his success and acknowledging what a great player he has been and someone who has pushed him to be the great player that he is also. Unfortunately his ego would never allow it though.
No one cares about social media bro I'm sure CR7 could give two shits about PR advice as well, he wouldn't be trash talking his club and coach on Piers if he did lmao

Its harder to score a second penalty after you converted one to convert 3 in a WC final is insane and shows you've never played football.

If Messi scored the hattrick and 2 of the 3 were from the penalty spot, your post would be much different. You would be praising SM for his post.

Last edited:
Yea that's coz Messi is s**t
And if you think that you know nothing about football. How’s this for a radical thought. Messi, Ronaldo are great players …end of. No comparison necessary.

Dry your eyes.

No one cares about social media bro I'm sure CR7 could give two shits about PR advice as well, he wouldn't be trash talking his club and coach on Piers if he did lmao

You once said CR7 was a better player because he had more facebook likes.

And if you think that you know nothing about football. How’s this for a radical thought. Messi, Ronaldo are great players …end of. No comparison necessary.

Messi could score 125 goals this season. Win the WC / CL and he would still say Messi is s**t.

Normally I'd agree but it is the world cup final and pressure is at its highest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back