The on topic thread 4.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Was a pretty horror run to be fair.

It's worked out this time but I would suspect the number of managers that won 1 in 12 (or whatever it was) during a stint, that then went on to be successful would be very, very small.
He was pretty lucky to survive this run.
Screenshot_20230114_162152_Facebook.jpg

Was a pretty horror run to be fair.

It's worked out this time but I would suspect the number of managers that won 1 in 12 (or whatever it was) during a stint, that then went on to be successful would be very, very small.

Perhaps this is the evidence that some of those managers do need the backing of the board and that it'll work out long term.

Perhaps this is the evidence that some of those managers do need the backing of the board and that it'll work out long term.
I still think opposite, just because one in say ten works out (and that's probably being generous)...

I wouldn't be backing managers that go one win in that stretch very often.

I still think opposite, just because one in say ten works out (and that's probably being generous)...

I wouldn't be backing managers that go one win in that stretch very often.

That's when you end up as an Everton. Imagine if they'd kept Silva and backed his vision for the squad and invested in the right players? Hindsight is 20/20 I suppose but quite often clubs are hyper-reactionary. Southampton were being spoken about as needing to move Jones on after 6 games then he beats City in the Cup and Everton in the league and all of a sudden that's quietened down.

That's when you end up as an Everton. Imagine if they'd kept Silva and backed his vision for the squad and invested in the right players? Hindsight is 20/20 I suppose but quite often clubs are hyper-reactionary. Southampton were being spoken about as needing to move Jones on after 6 games then he beats City in the Cup and Everton in the league and all of a sudden that's quietened down.
Well Everton is probably the perfect example of how I see it. I don't think there's a manager alive that would succeed with the way that club is currently run. Silva could've stayed on for another 5 years and I still don't think he'd get them playing as well as what he's got Fulham going.

There's something to be said about how the team has performed in a run like that. Are they in games but just not quite getting it done. Does it feel just around the corner. Or are they constantly being battered from pillar to post.

I agree that some clubs are absolutely too trigger happy (Watford etc).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well Everton is probably the perfect example of how I see it. I don't think there's a manager alive that would succeed with the way that club is currently run. Silva could've stayed on for another 5 years and I still don't think he'd get them playing as well as what he's got Fulham going.

There's something to be said about how the team has performed in a run like that. Are they in games but just not quite getting it done. Does it feel just around the corner. Or are they constantly being battered from pillar to post.

I agree that some clubs are absolutely too trigger happy (Watford etc).

Don't necessarily disagree but also don't think this is an argument for sacking managers if as you say the issue is bigger. At least recognise a quality manager when you have them and back them properly.

It's a good point, but when nearly 2 billion people speak English as a foreign language or better you expect that the English game will be easier for foreigners to understand and have more of an affinity with. There's a reason the top leagues and clubs of Europe have English twitter accounts and many of the PL clubs don't have anything but English.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back