The on topic thread 4.0

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think Western United have played a game in Geelong since 2021. But they will be hoping to appeal to Geelong based soccer fans who are not already committed to Victory or City. They are finally going to play home games in Tarneit starting on 6 April v Macarthur. Not in the 15,000 stadium that was promised but in the rejigged 5,000 seat Wyndham Regional Football Facility which was originally intended as a training ground.

I don't follow the A League either but I'm open to persuasion. I've booked tickets for that game which should be a historic occasion for the club. I'm expecting fireworks, dancing girls and a fly past by the RAAF Roulettes!

Yeah, that’s correct. All this time I thought WU was actually based in Geelong and surrounding areas but their last game in Geelong was in 2021 as you said. The last time I watched the A-League consistently was around 10 years ago, I did watch some games after the World Cup but that didn’t last long. It’s more the fact I would rather be watching AFL on the weekend than the A-League being poor quality tbh.

I don't think Western United have played a game in Geelong since 2021. But they will be hoping to appeal to Geelong based soccer fans who are not already committed to Victory or City. They are finally going to play home games in Tarneit starting on 6 April v Macarthur. Not in the 15,000 stadium that was promised but in the rejigged 5,000 seat Wyndham Regional Football Facility which was originally intended as a training ground.

I don't follow the A League either but I'm open to persuasion. I've booked tickets for that game which should be a historic occasion for the club. I'm expecting fireworks, dancing girls and a fly past by the RAAF Roulettes!
Got news for you. Travelling to bum steer nowhere aka Tarneit isn't the easy sell they think it could be.

Got news for you. Travelling to bum steer nowhere aka Tarneit isn't the easy sell they think it could be.

So are you satisfied that I wasn’t mocking you when you called me weird, which funnily enough came in the very same post where you said everyone is human and you don’t know what people are going through?

I noticed you didn’t man up and at least say you got it wrong. 🙄

Giving the new franchise to Tarneit instead of SE Melbourne was a big f*** up. No idea how Tarneit won it but I think the Wyndham Council promised more than they can eventually chew off and maybe to the detriment of ratepayers in the long run. I think junior development wise SE Melb was the place to go.

Giving the new franchise to Tarneit instead of SE Melbourne was a big f*** up. No idea how Tarneit won it but I think the Wyndham Council promised more than they can eventually chew off and maybe to the detriment of ratepayers in the long run. I think junior development wise SE Melb was the place to go.

Remember a few years ago when South Melbourne were going to be the new A-League club and Roberto Carlos was going to be the coach?

Drawing Motivation GIF
Your signature clubs prove it all, you're a die hard fan of a club in England and a club you're not even based at in Aus, plastic to the core lmao.

I am struggling to find this 5000 seater on google maps lol.
Can you imagine the AFL doing this. New franchise and its based out of......Craigieburn.

Your signature clubs prove it all, you're a die hard fan of a club in England and a club you're not even based at in Aus, plastic to the core lmao.

Imagine you calling someone plastic.

Other Teams: Al-Nassr FC

Shame Facepalm GIF by MOODMAN

Imagine you calling someone plastic.
TBF. St.Kilda is the one club in the world where it would impossible to be a plastic.
More likely to be charged with child abuse for signing your kid up to a lifetime of disappointment and misery.

I am struggling to find this 5000 seater on google maps lol.
Can you imagine the AFL doing this. New franchise and its based out of......Craigieburn.
Literally in the middle of nowhere

IMG_5017.jpeg

Remember a few years ago when South Melbourne were going to be the new A-League club and Roberto Carlos was going to be the coach?
Don’t think that was ever realistic was it? Although good to see they’ll be part of second tier

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Literally in the middle of nowhere

View attachment 1942803
It's a paddock on the outskirts of an outskirts suburb and is 5.65km from the train station.
I am 5.80km from Kardinia Park. A 15 min drive or 1.5 hour walk... But there's a train station 300m from the venue.

Who is to blame here. The team within Football Australia setup that ticked off the bid with no infrastructure or stadia in place, the team that tendered the bid or local/state government for not having infrastructure as a key pillar.

Leaning towards the first two.

Edit: This is for people living in Tarneit. Commuting to Tarneit to then have a 15min uber ride is laughable.

Last edited:
It's a paddock on the outskirts of an outskirts suburb and is 5.65km from the train station.
I am 5.80km from Kardinia Park. A 15 min drive or 1.5 hour walk... But there's a train station 300m from the venue.

Who is to blame here. The team within Football Australia setup that ticked off the bid with no infrastructure or stadia in place, the team that tendered the bid or local/state government for not having infrastructure as a key pillar.

Part of the deal was a new train station but like the main stadium a long way away

Nah mate Football Australia are a very intelligent group with the game's best interests at heart.

Edit: This is for people living in Tarneit. Commuting to Tarneit to then have a 15min uber ride is laughable.
Bet the farmer who sold them the land couldn't believe his luck and pissed himself laughing

That's the regional football facility. The stadium will be closer to the train line and will likely have a station with it eventually for match days I would assume. It is all still in construction so the naysayers jumping the gun are being ridiculous.

That's the regional football facility. The stadium will be closer to the train line and will likely have a station with it eventually for match days I would assume. It is all still in construction so the naysayers jumping the gun are being ridiculous.

Who asked for this? World class facility.... In Tarneit?

Silly me. Said something that mentioned a level of government.
So naturally the process must now be defended.

Screenshot 2024-03-29 145606.png

The highlighted yellow section is the train station. It is 5km from the red zone where the 5000 seater is.
The stadium precinct is said to be on Sayers Rd. The right of the picture out of frame is all housing. So the complex has to be in that blue zone. Which would be further away from the train station.

Even if they build a new one, and build a great boutique stadium, and lets say they can get all that done in the next two years.
That's still seven seasons after they played their first A league game. A monumental fail from within Football Australia to not have that all sorted before they became an A league club.

In contrast Australian Competitions not run as a circus did as follows.

NRL admitted The Redcliffe Dolphins to the NRL for 2023 season. Stadium redevelopments were funded and completed between 2015-18. Another stage in 2020 and lights in 2023. Their first home game at Kayo Stadium was halfway through their debut season.

AFL had GCS in Metricon fully funded prior to joining the league and completed early in their debut season, with games there in their first year. GWS Showgrounds stadium had a fully funded redevelopment prior to joining with their first game midway through their first AFL season. Tasmania licence wasn't allowed to go ahead as per the existing 18 clubs presidents conditions of entry unless there was a fully funded stadium in Tasmania. This new team has a funded stadium due for construction next year and completed by their 2nd season in the competition.

Football Australia's new boys are in their 5th A league season and ground on their 15000 seater is yet to be broken if I am not mistaken, and are having to settle for a 5000 seater at the training facility in the meantime.

What part of that sounds okay, what part of that is naysayers jumping the gun.
It is farcical.

Screenshot 2024-03-29 144525.png

What part of that picture is not farcical. Out in the sticks where there's no infrastructure, nothing to do. The VFL tried a venue out in the burbs and its now a training base. Most suburban VFL venues are closed and not been played on for decades.

Silly me. Said something that mentioned a level of government.
So naturally the process must now be defended.

View attachment 1942871

The highlighted yellow section is the train station. It is 5km from the red zone where the 5000 seater is.
The stadium precinct is said to be on Sayers Rd. The right of the picture out of frame is all housing. So the complex has to be in that blue zone. Which would be further away from the train station.

Even if they build a new one, and build a great boutique stadium, and lets say they can get all that done in the next two years.
That's still seven seasons after they played their first A league game. A monumental fail from within Football Australia to not have that all sorted before they became an A league club.
You can't just build a stadium and hope that a team comes to live in it. This isn't the USA where you can just attract a team with a new stadium. There are planning permissions and many other things that go into a development other than just "BUILD THE STADIUM". Almost as bad as a footy fan who yells out "KICK THE BLOODY THING"

Planning approvals etc should have been obtained as part of their bid not 5 years after. It's a massive fail and there were other bids that would have been up and running much quicker.

Yea they literally bought a club and imprinted their name and colours on it if that doesn't tell you what matters I don't know what will. There's zero authenticity to any plastic A-League club chiefly the City group one.
They all look the same too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back