The on topic thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
When Rodgers got sacked he had Liverpool in 10th spot.

Klopp can't just come in almost mid way through the season snap his fingers and make us 1st. Too much ground to surmount.

The current gameplan & formation has been found out. He needs to change things up a bit.
It's not like he's just arrived.

Don't get me wrong, I think Klopp is a far greater manager than Rodgers but I don't think it's unfair to say that things have been underwhelming thus far.

Perhaps the point is that the next 54 games for Klopp could be just as bad.

What evidence do you have for that? Completely different managers, with different players, in different circumstances, our rivals all have vastly different squads and football departments. There are too many variables, too many unknown quantities to use what Rodgers did 3-4 years ago to derive any sort of prediction for Klopp's future at the club beyond the arbitrary.

And again, I'm not sure what point you're trying to make because 22 of the next 54 games for Rodgers were in the 13/14 season.

That makes Klopp look worse tbh. Rodgers was genuinely in a title fight in those first 54 games. Can the same be said for Klopp?

To be fair, given the season Chelsea are having no-one is 'genuinely in a title fight' this season. We're on track for ~75 points, in isolation that wouldn't be a bad result for Klopp's first full season in charge. Chelsea storming to a historically unusually high 93-94 points is certainly making the chasing pack look like they're more in the shit than they actually are in my opinion. All of those sides (Liverpool included) have problems to fix, but none are significant enough that it would surprise me if any of them qualified for the CL this season, or were challenging for the league next season.

Issues have been exposed in the last 3-4 games that need to be fixed, and I've discussed that at length in here, but I see no reason to question Klopp's future at this stage.

What evidence do you have for that? Completely different managers, with different players, in different circumstances, our rivals all have vastly different squads and football departments. There are too many variables, too many unknown quantities to use what Rodgers did 3-4 years ago to derive any sort of prediction for Klopp's future at the club beyond the arbitrary.

And again, I'm not sure what point you're trying to make because 22 of the next 54 games for Rodgers were in the 13/14 season.

To be fair, given the season Chelsea are having no-one is 'genuinely in a title fight' this season. We're on track for ~75 points, in isolation that wouldn't be a bad result for Klopp's first full season in charge. Chelsea storming to a historically unusually high 93-94 points is certainly making the chasing pack look like they're more in the shit than they actually are in my opinion. All of those sides (Liverpool included) have problems to fix, but none are significant enough that it would surprise me if any of them qualified for the CL this season, or were challenging for the league next season.

Issues have been exposed in the last 3-4 games that need to be fixed, and I've discussed that at length in here, but I see no reason to question Klopp's future at this stage.

Who said anything about evidence? I was suggesting that might be the point the graphic is trying to make.

Apart from Chelsea, every Top 6 side has had patches of horrible form this season, that is not 'usual' for those sides.

I wonder if he could wind that in a bit, not go at 100 miles an hour for the full 90 minutes. It would still be effective if they could turn it off and on at times during a match. Maybe a bit more sustainable too.

Definitely been an issue for us. We're either 100 miles an hour or nothing. I look at our midfield, and I don't think we have a player in there with the game intelligence & vision to control tempo like that, definitely something we need to look at both on a tactical level and in terms of personnel.

Joe Allen could do it, but he lacked the quality to create anything going forward. Ideally we need a player who can do both.

Premier League Net Spend Summer 2016
(Sky sports 1-9-16)

City £169m
United £141m
Chelsea £97m
Arsenal £82m
W Ham £33m
Spurs £30m
Watford £27m
Leicester £24m
Burnley £22m
Bournemouth £20m
Sunderland £19m
Stoke £16m
Middlesbrough £15m
Hull £15m
W Brom £14m
C Palace £9m
Everton £1m profit (£32m in January)
Swansea £9m profit
Liverpool £14m profit
Southampton £20m profit

It's nice that Rodgers can win as much as Klopp when he has Suarez

Jurg's worked with a significantly worse squad than Rodger's early days, he actually has to work with the shit Rodgers assembled

Didn't Rodgers have a pretty crap squad when he came in?

Didn't Rodgers have a pretty crap squad when he came in?

He had Suarez Gerrard, bought Nuri Sahin when he was good, still had blokes like Daniel Agger and Pepe Reina, then bought Coutinho and Sturridge half a season later. Rodgers had at least one world class player with work with and many other players still playing at a top level

Jurg took over with Jordan Henderson as our best midfield player and Sakho our best defender, Moreno's at left back. While Sturridge was getting himself injured and Benteke and Origi are around upfront

He had Suarez Gerrard, bought Nuri Sahin when he was good, still had blokes like Daniel Agger and Pepe Reina, then bought Coutinho and Sturridge half a season later. Rodgers had at least one world class player with work with and many other players still playing at a top level

Jurg took over with Jordan Henderson has our best midfield player and Dejan Lovren our best defender, Moreno's at left back. While Sturridge was getting himself injured and Benteke and Origi are around upfront

So he bought a few pretty good players, and got lucky with Suarez.

Klopp has had a few windows to buy good players too, and inherited Coutinho who is a pretty good player too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Klopp has had a few windows to buy good players too, and inherited Coutinho who is a pretty good player too.

Coutinho's nowhere near as good as Suarez suffice to say

When we bought Sturridge he was scoring nearly 1 per game, his output was insane. Having Sturridge and Suarez upfront alone made it a different game

Jurg being able to win as many games as Rodgers already puts him to shame tbh, and he reached two cup finals doing it. If only he'd stop being stubborn and start spending some bloody money

Coutinho's nowhere near as good as Suarez suffice to say

When we bought Sturridge he was scoring nearly 1 per game, his output was insane. Having Sturridge and Suarez upfront alone made it a different game

Jurg being able to win as many games as Rodgers already puts him to shame tbh, and he reached two cup finals doing it. If only he'd stop being stubborn and start spending some bloody money

Wasn't suggesting he was, was merely suggesting Klopp inherited good players, and bought others in. Rodgers inherited a very good player, but brought in some pretty crap ones, and still managed to do better.

1 summer window and FSG didn't give him any money. He had to sell 80mil worth of players to bring in 60mil worth.

The 2 jan windows combined we brought 1 player in. Caulker on loan in Jan 2016.

Wasn't suggesting he was, was merely suggesting Klopp inherited good players, and bought others in. Rodgers inherited a very good player, but brought in some pretty crap ones, and still managed to do better.

Rodgers inherited a world class player, Suarez was always a top top player even when he first arrived, it was a matter of time before he started banging them in, he was already doing it for Uruguay and all the clubs before ours

Rodgers didn't bring in crap ones in his first 54 games, he got Studge and Coutinho, and he didn't even want Studge.

Jurg has made more money than he spent and still cleaning up the mess Rodgers left, his fault is that he isn't fixing blatant squad deficiencies because there's apparently no one out there who can play left back better than Milner/Moreno and Lucas centre back, which is bullshit

Rodgers not being able to get anything out of Nuri Sahin was absolutely maddening, he played one of the top deep playmakers forward, because he's apparently worse than Joe Allen

Rodgers is a good manager and is proving so again at Celtic.

Don't know why so many Liverpool fans dislike him and try to downplay his achievements when he brought you to your closest premier league success and first CL appearance in years.

Yes he had Suarez but maybe BR should get some credit for knowing how to use him effectively.

He played him upfront.... it's not rocket science

Any of us managing Celtic and they still win the league

Rodgers get loads of dislike coz he acted like a Pardew level campaigner towards the latter half of his reign

He also spent more, I think by far more, than any other Liverpool manager in history, and he built a team that could barely get 60 points, and blame everyone else for his own failure. The hate on him is justified

Premier League Net Spend Summer 2016
(Sky sports 1-9-16)

City £169m
United £141m
Chelsea £97m
Arsenal £82m
W Ham £33m
Spurs £30m
Watford £27m
Leicester £24m
Burnley £22m
Bournemouth £20m
Sunderland £19m
Stoke £16m
Middlesbrough £15m
Hull £15m
W Brom £14m
C Palace £9m
Everton £1m profit (£32m in January)
Swansea £9m profit
Liverpool £14m profit
Southampton £20m profit

Liverpool need to be somewhere between Arsenal and West Ham.

Did you turn a profit revenue wise?

He played him upfront.... it's not rocket science

Any of us managing Celtic and they still win the league

Rodgers get loads of dislike coz he acted like a Pardew level campaigner towards the latter half of his reign

He also spent more, I think by far more, than any other Liverpool manager in history, and he built a team that could barely get 60 points, and blame everyone else for his own failure. The hate on him is justified
Lol such a simplistic view. Rodgers did more than just stick him up top and hope for goals, he built the team around him.

Celtic are currently unbeaten in the league, with a singlular draw the only blemish and have a cup to their name already with the domestic treble looking likely. That doesn't happen every year. Also not forgetting he got Swansea promoted.

He may be a knob but I can appreciate what he's done.

Lol such a simplistic view. Rodgers did more than just stick him up top and hope for goals, he built the team around him.

Celtic are currently unbeaten in the league, with a singlular draw the only blemish and have a cup to their name already with the domestic treble looking likely. That doesn't happen every year. Also not forgetting he got Swansea promoted.

He may be a knob but I can appreciate what he's done.

Going by his "tactics" post Suarez that doesn't really support your view all that much. The gameplan at the time was actually just give it to Suarez and Sturridge

AVB also went undefeated at Porto and won a couple of cups, he is now managing in China.

Swansea was a setup being built for ages by Martinez and many before him, it was a structure he landed himself in, he certainly did well to get them promoted but Swansea the project was well on the way even before Rodgers, very simplistic view to just say Rodgers got them promoted

He was backed more than any other Liverpool manager in history and towards the end of his reign all he did was throw everyone under the bus to save his own reputation, he would get a far more positive view if he wasn't such a FIGJAM campaigner

Going by his "tactics" post Suarez that doesn't really support your view all that much. The gameplan at the time was actually just give it to Suarez and Sturridge

AVB also went undefeated at Porto and won a couple of cups, he is now managing in China.

Swansea was a setup being built for ages by Martinez and many before him, it was a structure he landed himself in, he certainly did well to get them promoted but Swansea the project was well on the way even before Rodgers, very simplistic view to just say Rodgers got them promoted

He was backed more than any other Liverpool manager in history and towards the end of his reign all he did was throw everyone under the bus to save his own reputation, he would get a far more positive view if he wasn't such a FIGJAM campaigner
You're right, he is a clueless dud.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back