Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 28, 2016
Tigris River
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
Yeah comes off a bit manufactured.

Still think the core message is right. As long as people complain about the quality of a product they only occasionally watch, it's never going to improve. So it comes down to whether people are fans of the sport or fans of a particular club.

I think the A-League has gotten a lot better tbh. I remember as a kid watching the * out of the Phoenix and loving it. Watching their first ever final against the Glory and cheering them on was great. A sellout crowd as well (first ever one for the Nix outside the Beckham friendly with the LA Galaxy). The quality though wasn't the best but bringing in guys like Thomas Broich and Bruno Fornaroli over big names that are way past it has turned the A-League into a more technical league rather than some EPL-lite BS like the MLS (which is proper trash). Also means the players we send over to Europe are more used to the continental style over the British one so when guys like Juric and Rogic succeed, it looks good on the league and people will be happy to come here and buy more players. Look how many Aussies are in Germany. Playing the gamestyle we do under Ange helps as well.

The FFA though are a complete bunch of *******s so any progress the league or the national team make will get dragged down. They need a mass clear out.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg
I have some things to say to you, Mr President, but I suspect your surveillance network stretches way the **** here and I don't wanna be killed, so carry on

I've already sent him links to all of your posts criticising him. Beware when you get a knock at the door :)

Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Leicester, Vixens
Common sense?

I guess you've never been to Africa before?

I was in Moorroco last week, in Marrakech, it was 51 degrees.

The locals describe Africa as hell on earth in summer, probably like playing the Asian Cup in the Simpson desert in the middle of summer.

Common sense as in they're finally holding the tournament that lines up with Europe, and not putting a liability on getting African players.

And Morocco? There's 54 countries in Africa, all with differing climates. I'll admit a move to July will restrict the number of potential hosts, but it will better serve African players. Gabon hosting it in July would've been awesome.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg
Common sense as in they're finally holding the tournament that lines up with Europe, and not putting a liability on getting African players.

And Morocco? There's 54 countries in Africa, all with differing climates. I'll admit a move to July will restrict the number of potential hosts, but it will better serve African players. Gabon hosting it in July would've been awesome.

They should just host it in S Africa every time and split all money evenly amongst the confederation.

Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Leicester, Vixens
They should just host it in S Africa every time and split all money evenly amongst the confederation.
This isn't the Gold Cup, nor the CONCACAF (Then again, there is good reason as to why that is the case, though imagine a Caribbean rotation).

Africa is a lot more diverse, but then again, hosting the event has been quite an interesting issue.

Or, more sensibly, they should just keep the tournament in a more friendly time of the year. Say January. Common sense but you know what they say about that...

Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Leicester, Vixens
Or, more sensibly, they should just keep the tournament in a more friendly time of the year. Say January. Common sense but you know what they say about that...

Friendly for who? As big as an honour as it is to play for your country, the move creates unnecessary tension for those players of successful African nations, and lowers the value of African players as a whole for this tournament that plays in the middle of the season every 2 years. Yes, most of the African seasons run on the calendar year, but that's up to the nation boards and CAF to determine how the tournament is run.

Honestly, this question is a very hotly debated one between those that want it in January, and those that want it in June. Sure, it's a bit more limiting for those that want to host the event, but I think they could be treated to a much bigger spectacle with higher quality players and open up more opportunities for African players to get accepted rather than being seen as risks because they're gone for 2 months ever two years.

You open AFCON up to a wider audience if played in June, which I feel would benefit the tournament more than just a January start, where it is drowned out by everywhere else.

Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Chicago Bulls.
A made up conversation.

I have no emotional connection to the A-League.

The End.

You had no emotional connection to Liverpool until you did.

Friendly for who? As big as an honour as it is to play for your country, the move creates unnecessary tension for those players of successful African nations, and lowers the value of African players as a whole for this tournament that plays in the middle of the season every 2 years. Yes, most of the African seasons run on the calendar year, but that's up to the nation boards and CAF to determine how the tournament is run.

Honestly, this question is a very hotly debated one between those that want it in January, and those that want it in June. Sure, it's a bit more limiting for those that want to host the event, but I think they could be treated to a much bigger spectacle with higher quality players and open up more opportunities for African players to get accepted rather than being seen as risks because they're gone for 2 months ever two years.

You open AFCON up to a wider audience if played in June, which I feel would benefit the tournament more than just a January start, where it is drowned out by everywhere else.

I think AFCON in May would suit everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back