The on topic thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Read this earlier on the train - might be interesting. I think I prefer the current 'classic' system personally but am interested to see how this plays out.

The English Football League (EFL) is introducing the new ABBA format for penalty shoot-outs in its competitions during the 2017/18 season.

Already being trialled by UEFA, the system is based on the format used in tennis tie-breaks, with the team taking the first kick in each pair of kicks alternating, so AB BA AB and so on, instead of AB AB etc.

The EFL's trial of the format will apply to this season's Carabao Cup, Checkatrade Trophy and the play-offs, with the first opportunity for its use coming in the Carabao Cup's first round on August 8-9.

"IFAB have identified a theory that the current arrangements for penalty kicks potentially provide an unfair advantage to the team taking the first kick so we are keen to see if the new system has an impact on one of the most discussed issues in football.

"We all want football matches to be decided in a fair and consistent manner and I am sure the new system will add an interesting dynamic to the conclusion of matches in our competitions if required."

http://www.skysports.com/football/n...ounce-change-to-abba-penalty-shoot-out-format

Was very saddened to see the news about Les Murray yesterday. So many memories of watching the show on Sunday arvos just to get a glimpse of the overnight scores and perhaps a highlight or two.

Really was the face of the game here for over 30 odd years. Think Craig Foster mentioned in his tribute that Les did that when the game was very foreign to lots of Aussies. Even the media and public perception was hostile at times - so to carry the flag for the code in a dignified and professional way really shows the immense value he brought (and the sizable loss he is).

His legacy is right up there with the most important in the game in this country. Right next to his mate Johnny Warren. Universally loved by fans across the country, now mourned but always to be remembered. That's a pretty awesome footnote to leave on the world. RIP Les.

P.S passed away on the same day as Sir Bobby. Thought that was an interesting coincidence. 2 legends. :heart:

A bit random, but I'll never forget learning of Bobby Robson's passing from, of all people, Brian Taylor, who made the announcement during the Triple M call of a Carlton vs. North match at which I was in attendance. Hard to believe it is already eight years ago.

RIP Les Murray (and Sir Bobby).

A bit random, but I'll never forget learning of Bobby Robson's passing from, of all people, Brian Taylor, who made the announcement during the Triple M call of a Carlton vs. North match at which I was in attendance. Hard to believe it is already eight years ago.

RIP Les Murray (and Sir Bobby).

Wow! Would not have expected BT to break that news. To be honest, surprised the news even made any waves here. Robson was well known in the UK and Europe but I doubt there would have been many down here who knew him.

Ex-Chelsea 11

Mourinho

-----------Cech
PVA---Huth-----Ake----Bertrand
-------Matic-----Chalobah
KDB-------Mata---------Salah
------------Lukaku

Sturridge-Romeu-Begovic-Solanke-Sidwell-Cork-Atsu
This game looks fun, I want in.

Ex-LFC 11

Rafa Benitez

--Torres--Suarez--Aspas
Sterling-Allen-Sahin-Suso
Lucas-Mascherano-Skrtel
-----------Reina

Subs: Brad Jones, K.Toure, Johnson, Crouch, Carroll, Benteke, Balotelli

This game looks fun, I want in.

Ex-LFC 11

Rafa Benitez

--Torres--Suarez--Aspas
Sterling-Allen-Sahin-Suso
Lucas-Mascherano-Skrtel
-----------Reina

Subs: Brad Jones, K.Toure, Johnson, Crouch, Carroll, Benteke, Balotelli

Mines a team made up ex Chelsea players and managers who are all playing in the EPL this season.

Mines a team made up ex Chelsea players and managers who are all playing in the EPL this season.
Jeez that's pretty impressive.

This is where it gets ugly for LFC then.

Rafa Benitez

Benteke-Carroll-Crouch (Triple target-men of doom)
Sterling-Allen-Shelvey-Ibe
Kelly-Johnson-Manquillo
Keeper (?)

Subs: ?, Brad Smith, Adam, ?, ?, ?, Sinclair.

Ex-HCAFC

Marco Silva

Long
Snodgrass
Brady - Livermore - Diame - Ince
Robertson - Maguire - Delaney - Rosenior
Myhill/Jak

Apart from Rosenior at RB - can't think of anyone obvious who could go there - it's not a terrible side and would go ok in the league.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can even provide a (very unbalanced) bench:

Manager - Chris Hughton

Gomes
Walker - Kaboul - Capoue - Daniels
Carrick
Livermore - Sigurdsson
Townsend ---------- Chadli
Defoe

Adam Smith - Naughton - Routledge - Tom Carroll - Lennon - Yedlin - Crouch​

Can even provide a (very unbalanced) bench:

Manager - Chris Hughton

Gomes
Walker - Kaboul - Capoue - Daniels
Carrick
Livermore - Sigurdsson
Townsend ---------- Chadli
Defoe

Adam Smith - Naughton - Routledge - Tom Carroll - Lennon - Yedlin - Crouch​
Surely you'd go 442 with crouch and Defoe up front. Lennon on the right Townsend on the left. Made the champions league pretty much doing that!

Surely you'd go 442 with crouch and Defoe up front. Lennon on the right Townsend on the left. Made the champions league pretty much doing that!
If they were all in their prime then yeah, but I was thinking how it would be if they were picked to play this season.

Kasper
Zaba Lejeune Mee Milner
Trippier Mooy Barry Ireland
Sturridge Kelechi

Willy Hennesey Pantilimon

Woo woo. Took a few liberties with Mooy, Lejeune and Kelechi but managed a first XI. Not a lot of flexibility on the bench to be fair.

http://www.totalsportek.com/football/clubs-with-the-most-debt/

UEFA has released their annual report on financial health of football entities across Europe and according to recent financial details Manchester United is not only the club with highest yearly revenue but also has the highest net debt. The interesting fact that even with the highest revenue United has failed to reduce their net debt which stands at €536 million and thats around 25% increase compared to last fiscal year. We take a look at clubs with highest net debt across Europe.

10 Most Debt Ridden Football Clubs – 2017

NO.# CLUB NET DEBT (numbers converted to dollar)
1 Manchester United $570 million (risen by 18% largely down to brexit as US dollar strengthend to GBP. However club remain in excellent financial condition with $711m in yearly revenue generated in 2015-16 season without Champions League)
2 SL Benfica $351 million (Benfica’s finances has been mismanaged for best part of last decade and club is trying hard to get out of massive debt they owe to local portugese banks)
3 Inter Milan $325 million (in worst possible financial situation and things not looking bright with inter posting another $78 million net loss in 2016.
4 Valencia $303 million
5 FC Barcelona $298 million (has managed to reduce their net debt from from $340m to $298m thanks to record revenue of $670m generated in 2015-16. However they are clean in FIFA/UEFA books as their debt do not fall into fair-play regulations)
6 QPR $297 million (most of the debt is owed to club’s owners ($158m owed to Asia Sdn Bhd owned by Fernandes, another $40m to Mittal family etc. According to some reports QPR has paid back all the debt)
7 AC Milan $265 million (in 2016 club sold for around $826 million to chinese company including the debt. Goldman Sachs to intervene in clubs debt restructuring)
8 Chelsea* technically debt free but Roman Abramovich’s $1 billion investment counts if he decides to sell the club.
9 CSKA Moscow $238 million
10 Galatasaray $236 million
11 Real Madrid $250 million approx (Madrid has more debt than just $250m. But non of their net debt falls into FIFA fair-play regulations.)
12 Juventus $222 million
13 AS Roma $221 million
14 Sunderland $221 million
15 PSG $198 million
16 Fenerbache $176 million
17 Dinamo Moskva $174 million
18 Atletico Madrid $174 million
19 Liverpool $174 million
20 Olympic Lyon $169 million
21 AS Monaco $157 million
22 FC Kopenhavn $146 million
23 FC Schalke $145 million