The on topic thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apparently there'll be an EPL winter break from 2019-20 onwards.
Saw a suggestion on reddit but can't seem to locate it now.

It was to create an extra tier in the football league and do so by minimally reducing PL/Ch/L1/L2 team numbers and then making the rest of the extra tier with top performing conference clubs. Yes it'd see a reduction in TV rights deals but given Sky/BT crave the 'big' fixtures removing 2 relegation contender clubs wouldn't see a drastic reduction in TV rights, however, they would be split with 2 fewer clubs so the remaining 18 would see little difference.

Each club would have 2 fewer league fixtures, which could be taken out of the busy December/January period to alleviate fixture congestion.
I didn't mind the idea, let's face it there are a lot of utterly s**t teams in the Prem this season. Everton are still 9th despite how abject they've been.

It was to create an extra tier in the football league and do so by minimally reducing PL/Ch/L1/L2 team numbers and then making the rest of the extra tier with top performing conference clubs. Yes it'd see a reduction in TV rights deals but given Sky/BT crave the 'big' fixtures removing 2 relegation contender clubs wouldn't see a drastic reduction in TV rights, however, they would be split with 2 fewer clubs so the remaining 18 would see little difference.

Each club would have 2 fewer league fixtures, which could be taken out of the busy December/January period to alleviate fixture congestion.
I didn't mind the idea, let's face it there are a lot of utterly s**t teams in the Prem this season. Everton are still 9th despite how abject they've been.

The 5th tier that would've replaced the Conference (the one where the Old Firm were mooted to join up) is still my preference. Less teams in the Prem doesn't mean s**t, it just reduces parity with clubs finding it harder to get into the top flight. With s**t trucks like West Brom, Stoke and the like all set to go down and with clubs like Wolves and Villa poised to go up, the standard in the top flight should improve again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought I heard something similar, only to reduce the Champ/L1/L2 by four clubs, and take the top eight clubs of the National League (yeah I know, still can't get used to that name) to form League 3, and a professional 5th tier with an "Elite 100." Let's face it, most NL clubs (5th tier) are professional as it is, and we're making sure they have a better chance of surviving, instead of being stuck in that bottleneck that is the L2/NL pro/rel... and that other idea of B clubs... ick, which was their original suggestion for an extra tier (Seriously, ewww).

With TV Money, I can't see them going to 18 clubs at this point in time, which would be on level with the Bundesliga. Sky would try to give them the same size pieces (which means a reduction overall in how much money actually enters the league system), so 18 won't be happening. Five tiers of 20 teams playing professionally is more likely.

PL - 18
Championship - 20
League one - 20
League two - 20
League three - 20

Top 6 from the conference add to league three in season one. Three up three down all the way through

With TV Money, I can't see them going to 18 clubs at this point in time, which would be on level with the Bundesliga. Sky would try to give them the same size pieces (which means a reduction overall in how much money actually enters the league system), so 18 won't be happening. Five tiers of 20 teams playing professionally is more likely.

GettyImages-602263358-960x571.jpg

PL - 18
Championship - 20
League one - 20
League two - 20
League three - 20

Top 6 from the conference add to league three in season one. Three up three down all the way through
That sounds better. Less s**t in the top flight.

I thought I heard something similar, only to reduce the Champ/L1/L2 by four clubs, and take the top eight clubs of the National League (yeah I know, still can't get used to that name) to form League 3, and a professional 5th tier with an "Elite 100." Let's face it, most NL clubs (5th tier) are professional as it is, and we're making sure they have a better chance of surviving, instead of being stuck in that bottleneck that is the L2/NL pro/rel... and that other idea of B clubs... ick, which was their original suggestion for an extra tier (Seriously, ewww).

It's unlikely they WILL do any of this. This is more in the what they SHOULD do.
They should reduce all Football League tiers and create another tier but they won't.

They'll move the FA Cup around to create a break. Yay
/Sarcasm

Long term the winter break is essential and should ensure a high quality level of football right through to the end of the season. I’m sure they’ll go down the path Italy took this year and still play Christmas and new year fixtures before starting the break later in January. Is a shame that the FA Cup will move mid week, but it is only for 1 round.

Can the extra teams from the national league afford to go professional?

Also, is there ever a serious chance that Celtic and Rangers will join the football league?

There's already Welsh teams in the league, would be possible to incorporate all Welsh, Scottish, and Northern Irish teams into the football league system and expand from an English football league to a British football league?

NEWS: UEFA have confirmed a restructure to the Champions League - including changing the kick-off times and guaranteed entry to the group stages.

Liverpool's fourth-placed finish in last season's Premier League meant they had to navigate a play-off in August - against Hoffenheim - to qualify for the competition proper.

But under new rules sanctioned today ahead of the 2018/19 season, the top four from England - as well as Spain, Italy and Germany - will gain direct qualification into the group stages.

The tournament will also now have two new kick-off times, with the traditional 7.45pm kick off being replaced by 5.55pm and 8pm. (Echo)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back