The on topic thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can the extra teams from the national league afford to go professional?

Also, is there ever a serious chance that Celtic and Rangers will join the football league?

There's already Welsh teams in the league, would be possible to incorporate all Welsh, Scottish, and Northern Irish teams into the football league system and expand from an English football league to a British football league?
If I were Celtic and Rangers, I'd continue to push for it. Already Welsh team in the English leagues like Swansea and Cardiff. Monaco play in the French league. There is precedent.

Also, is there ever a serious chance that Celtic and Rangers will join the football league?

There's already Welsh teams in the league, would be possible to incorporate all Welsh, Scottish, and Northern Irish teams into the football league system and expand from an English football league to a British football league?

1) No. Unless you're a former FL club or a club with substantial backing, not a lot of clubs outside the FL can afford to go professional.

2) I think if there's ever a 5th tier, they could get in that way. Don't see (or want) them getting straight into the PL. If they get into English football, it'll be as low as possible. That and the Old Firm in England would get more backing from UEFA/FIFA than a Super League. And despite idiots who think otherwise, Celtic and Rangers getting into English football wouldn't be some precedent for clubs all over to just jump to better leagues. Celtic and Rangers pay their taxes to the same people as Manchester United and Liverpool do which is a big thing people overlook whether accidentally or deliberately.

3) The leagues should stay separate unless special circumstances permit otherwise. I'm in favour of a British Cup replacing the League Cups if anything.

NEWS: UEFA have confirmed a restructure to the Champions League - including changing the kick-off times and guaranteed entry to the group stages.

Liverpool's fourth-placed finish in last season's Premier League meant they had to navigate a play-off in August - against Hoffenheim - to qualify for the competition proper.

But under new rules sanctioned today ahead of the 2018/19 season, the top four from England - as well as Spain, Italy and Germany - will gain direct qualification into the group stages.

Absolute load of wank. Ceferen (UEFA boss) replaced Platini on the basis that he'd stand up for smaller clubs, not bend over to the big 4 masters. Give me a ******* spell. More of the same from the big boys who just want to protect their cash flow.

I wouldn't be against Celtic and Rangers coming into one of the English leagues. What I would be worried about is the impact it would have on the Scottish league. Yes, it would allow other teams to win something, but the 2 biggest teams in the league leaving would surely have a negative impact.

I wouldn't be against Celtic and Rangers coming into one of the English leagues. What I would be worried about is the impact it would have on the Scottish league. Yes, it would allow other teams to win something, but the 2 biggest teams in the league leaving would surely have a negative impact.

Most Scottish fans want them to * off and whilst I'm sure they're aware of the money the Glaswegians bring in, they wouldn't care if it means a more competitive league.

Absolute load of wank. Ceferen (UEFA boss) replaced Platini on the basis that he'd stand up for smaller clubs, not bend over to the big 4 masters. Give me a ******* spell. More of the same from the big boys who just want to protect their cash flow.
Knocks out those teams from the qualifying rounds though

Gives a better chance to the minnows to get better qualifying draws so they can get in the group stage, provided they don't draw the likes of Portuguese or French

Knocks out those teams from the qualifying rounds though

Gives a better chance to the minnows to get better qualifying draws so they can get in the group stage, provided they don't draw the likes of Portuguese or French
Yep. How often do clubs from those countries fail to get out of qualifying?

08/09: Liverpool, Arse, Atletico, Juve, Barca (winners lol), Schalke and Fiorentina
09/10: Arsenal, Stuttgart, Atletico, Fiorentina.
10/11: Tottenham, Bremen. Failed: Sevilla, Sampdoria
11/12: Villarreal, Arsenal, Munich. Failed: Udinese
12/13: Malaga. Failed: Udinese, Monchengladbach.
13/14: Arsenal, Milan, Schalke, Sociedad
14/15: Arsenal, Leverkusen, Bilbao. Failed: Napoli
15/16: Leverkusen, Man Utd, Valencia. Failed: Lazio
16/17: Man City, Monchengladbach. Failed: Roma, Villarreal.
17/18: Sevilla, Napoli, Liverpool. Failed: Hoffenheim.

So 10 have failed to make the group stage in the last 10 seasons and half of those are because they were playing someone from the other 3 nations. 10/42 isn't a high strike rate given they've also being knocking each other out. As you say take them out of qualifying and it becomes easier for those in the playoffs to progress.

I think out of the current top 10, 7 of those are already professional from what I can see. I would expect an increase to ensure those clubs are professional for League 3.

Most of the National League is professional as it is.

It's unlikely they WILL do any of this. This is more in the what they SHOULD do.
They should reduce all Football League tiers and create another tier but they won't.

They'll move the FA Cup around to create a break. Yay
/Sarcasm
Actually... It was Football League backed: http://www.skysports.com/football/n...-three-and-20-team-league-structure-explained

This was meant to be covered in 2017 AGM in preparations for the 19-20 season. It needed 90% approval from the clubs, which it didn't (because it means a whole extra tier to climb if you are in the wrong place at the wrong time).

I think it'd be great to have them in, I'd be wary if I was one of the top English teams though.

They'd probably have to start in league one or league two.

However, they have enough financial clout at the moment (despite s**t TV revenue anyway) and huge supporter bases, attendances, academies etc that they'd be in the prem well within a decade.

Once they got their hands on EPL TV revenue, their history and prestige would dictate they'd challenge most of the top sides.

Celtic is one of the largest supported sides throughout the world, especially in the US, they'd be bought pretty quickly by some big conglomerates if they had EPL revenue, similar to Utd, City, Chelsea, Liverpool etc.

I think Rangers would be more on that Everton, West Ham kind of level.

It would certainly make the league far more competitive in the long run.

An Old Firm derby with EPL revenue and buying power would be the best game in the league imo.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it'd be great to have them in, I'd be wary if I was one of the top English teams though.

They'd probably have to start in league one or league two.

However, they have enough financial clout at the moment (despite s**t TV revenue anyway) and huge supporter bases, attendances, academies etc that they'd be in the prem well within a decade.

Once they got their hands on EPL TV revenue, their history and prestige would dictate they'd challenge most of the top sides.

Celtic is one of the largest supported sides throughout the world, especially in the US, they'd be bought pretty quickly by some big conglomerates if they had EPL revenue, similar to Utd, City, Chelsea, Liverpool etc.

I think Rangers would be more on that Everton, West Ham kind of level.

It would certainly make the league far more competitive in the long run.

An Old Firm derby with EPL revenue and buying power would be the best game in the league imo.
We’ve got enough problems in England with divisive communities without letting Celtic join the fray. It ain’t happening they can keep their sectarian bullshit in jockland

Good to see Steve's found his level.

We’ve got enough problems in England with divisive communities without letting Celtic join the fray. It ain’t happening they can keep their sectarian bullshit in jockland

I had $10 on someone saying "sectarianism!". I had another $10 on that someone being you.

No.

The six Welsh teams were grandfathered in from before there was a Welsh league. No more will be added.

What I would be worried about is the impact it would have on the Scottish league. Yes, it would allow other teams to win something, but the 2 biggest teams in the league leaving would surely have a negative impact.

Most Scottish fans want them to **** off and whilst I'm sure they're aware of the money the Glaswegians bring in, they wouldn't care if it means a more competitive league.

It would be an irrevocable disaster for Scottish football if they left. The place would turn into Wales or Northern Ireland. Every kid in Scotland would become a Celtic or Rangers fan if they're playing against Manchester United, Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea, Manchester City, Tottenham, etc, every week.

DXNCkaUW4AAFL7I.jpg:large

didnt think i'd see gaston ramirez or fabio quagliarella on a list like that.

So, it turns out that Moussa Sissoko is actually good at something other than running fast and being big.

So, it turns out that Moussa Sissoko is actually good at something other than running fast and being big.

Ha they’ve been playing that for months lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back