MFC Fans Only The One and Only Jack Watts Thread - All Discussion about JW in here

Remove this Banner Ad

Will we ever get Jack Watts out of our system? Will be ever bid farewell to the perennial expectation that somehow or other he will hit critical mass next season and turn into a star? Where we duped by that goal against Collingwood? Should we negate the father-son rule just to avoid a perpetuation of the dynamic?

Will we ever get Jack Watts out of our system? Will be ever bid farewell to the perennial expectation that somehow or other he will hit critical mass next season and turn into a star? Where we duped by that goal against Collingwood? Should we negate the father-son rule just to avoid a perpetuation of the dynamic?
Father-son rule!!! I hadn’t even thought about that ... all this shagging about, who knows how many prospects he’ll give us in 15-20 years time. Maybe we can start pushing him in front of a few AFLW players so the kids will actually have a bit of ticker about them tho

Watts is life. He will never truly leave us.

Probably kick 6 round 1 and by round 23 be in the SANFL looking at being delisted.

Stringer and Watts seem pretty similar to me. Difference being Watts hasn't done s**t at his new club
Yeah, me too actually.. could just be that they're both underachievers flung out the door from their original clubs, both massive underachievers, and both like ****.

Having said that, I'd marry Watts, whereas I wouldn't piss on Stringer if he was on fire.

Yeah, me too actually.. could just be that they're both underachievers flung out the door from their original clubs, both massive underachievers, and both like ****.

Having said that, I'd marry Watts, whereas I wouldn't piss on Stringer if he was on fire.
The other comparison both have snuck around behind their misses. Difference being Stringer has a child

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stringer did make AA in 2015. Even in the glory days of 2016 Jack would have struggled to make the 3rd or 4th best 22 of that season.

Yah. Retire today and stringers had a much more successful career. I don't give a rat's about their personal life, for 2 years there stringer was looking like one of the next great forwards. Watts hasn't ever come close

I wonder if he has always been like this?

If so, disappointed we tolerated it for so long.

Mate he's probably not the only one, id imagine if blokes are just doing it in the off season and are still making skinfolds come pre season the club wouldn't give a *.

It's only once s**t starts becoming public that it's a big deal.

Plus let's not pretend he was some superstar when he left us, arguable he would have been best 22 by now in goodys contested side

Mate he's probably not the only one, id imagine if blokes are just doing it in the off season and are still making skinfolds come pre season the club wouldn't give a ****.

It's only once s**t starts becoming public that it's a big deal.

Plus let's not pretend he was some superstar when he left us, arguable he would have been best 22 by now in goodys contested side

I think he quite clearly doesn’t care at all though, seems like it came to a head when Goody assumed the senior coach mantle.

tbf Watts has the face off someone who is bordeline buckled in that video.

But what sort of a campaigner is the bloke/chick who filmed him and then circulated the video?

Probably a supposed friend too

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Or some other random Aussie who was also at Oktoberfest and who latched on for the ride that day.
who would have been acting friendly with him.

That s**t pisses me off. It is a bit like the Brian Lake coke video. Some prick who has probably been getting free s**t off him all day and then video tapes him in a compromising position and exploits it. campaigners!

who would have been acting friendly with him.

That s**t pisses me off. It is a bit like the Brian Lake coke video. Some prick who has probably been getting free s**t off him all day and then video tapes him in a compromising position and exploits it. campaigners!

Absoloute scum.

At last someone is sticking up for Jack...he really is a good guy!
Why Port Adelaide’s Jack Watts has been unfairly stigmatised by the leaked Oktoberfest video:-
https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/spor...o/news-story/b7d44abc28be70b51c514d6168dd17c0

Paywall stops me from reading the article. I imagine the main points are; Jack didn't break an laws, the substance was legal, the female was consenting, he was on holiday having fun, stop idolising normal people and turning them into PC robots.

Paywall stops me from reading the article. I imagine the main points are; Jack didn't break an laws, the substance was legal, the female was consenting, he was on holiday having fun, stop idolising normal people and turning them into PC robots.
Why Port Adelaide’s Jack Watts has been unfairly stigmatised by the leaked Oktoberfest video

The demonisation of Jack Watts began on the very first day he was drafted — ironically by the Demons.

From the moment Melbourne selected him with pick one in the 2008 national draft he has had to endure the comparisons with Nic Naitanui the Western Australian colossus who the Eagles took at number two.

No matter that most players in that draft pale by comparison to Naitanui. Rory Sloane and Steele Sidebottom are the standouts in a draft, the output of which seems meagre.

Yet it is Watts who has been a constant victim of the keyboard cowards hiding behind their online anonymity. Ironic then that he has played more AFL games than Naitanui whose last two seasons have been wrecked by knee injuries.

Those who really know Jack Watts — like team-mates and club officials who deal with him on a daily basis — paint a totally different picture to a hapless, accident-prone, miscreant who some elements of the media and social media delight in bashing.

“He’s a great guy”, said one. The flattering adjectives flow readily: “charming, charismatic, funny, self-deprecating, warm, engaging”.

“He’s the template of the perfect team-mate”, said another.

Those who expected an arrogant, know-it-all Victorian to arrive at their club have been disarmed by his willingness to embrace his new club and team-mates.

He never knocks back a charity request and despite the contrived controversy that swirls around him, maintains an optimistic outlook.

His training in preparation for this season, in which he may play further up the ground, has been elite.

However, that video, as innocent as it ultimately has proven to be, appears damning. Snorting a white powder off the upper, albeit unexposed, breast of a willing young lady, is not a good look.

But please, some context. Most importantly, the white powder was not an illicit substance. “Wiesn pulver” is a harmless, drug and tobacco-free powder composed of glucose and menthol.

The only possible effect is a sugar-high and the nasal-clearing impact of the menthol, although Dr Michael Elliott, clinical associate professor of the University of Sydney, was quoted as saying “I can’t imagine that snorting sugar in that method would have any biological effects.”

Secondly, snorting wiesn pulver has become a part of the rituals of the Oktoberfest, that unrestrained Bavarian beer festival which tourists, young and old alike flock to in September.

You’re a young man on vacation in Bavaria, 15,000km away from home and the pressures of performance.

Why not do as the Bavarians do, particularly if it’s legal and physiologically harmless?

It’s exactly the same behaviour as chugging a pint of stout in Dublin, the salt and lemon ritual of a shot of Tequila, or the countless drinking games that young people indulge in.

It would be less harmful in fact, and looks like twice the fun.

And we dare not to mention the antics that tourists indulge in on those Mediterranean islands.

Throughout his recent sagas Watts has maintained a stoic outlook, although he must be frustrated with the double standards at play. Brownlow Medallist, Dane Swan, was exposed romping naked in a video leaked on social media.

There have been no damning recriminations of Swan.

Instead, the offended Swan pursued legal action against the person who released the video online (of course it went viral) without his permission.

That young lady now finds herself before the courts facing a prison sentence.

Why should Watts not pursue similar action particularly if this has become part of a sinister smear campaign to discredit him?

Port’s chairman David Koch waded into the controversy with vitriolic damnation of Watts’ (legal) behaviour.

As good as he has been for the club Kochie does stray a little too far from the narrative at times.

It can’t be “we” when things are going well then a split into “you” and “I” if there is drama at the club.

The strongest feature of great clubs is unity. There can be no finger-pointing, blaming or shaming. We are all in this together, through the good times and especially through the tough times. At various times, the coach and the players have been justified in feeling that the chairman would distance himself from the disappointments that all football clubs inevitably experience.

It’s true that Jack Watts has been embarrassed by leaks on social media. Who of us wouldn’t be embarrassed if our intimate conversations and overseas shenanigans were exposed to an increasingly voyeuristic society?

However, he is no degenerate or miscreant. He deserves the club’s support. He may not yet have fulfilled his potential or promise as a footballer but he has played 172 games in one of the toughest competitions in world sport. But more significantly he is a good bloke trying to be a good team-mate and trying to be the best footballer he can — despite the critics who would see him fail.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back