MFC Fans Only The One and Only Jack Watts Thread - All Discussion about JW in here

Remove this Banner Ad

That goal is probably the best single moment of those years of hell.

Thanks Jack. Good luck with the swimming and ****.

Disappointing for Jack. At various stages of his career he promised quite a bit, but you got the feeling he was never mentally prepared for the challenges and sacrifices to succeed at AFL level (hardly alone in that regard at MFC). I think we certainly mis-managed a lot of our junior players into the system - I dont believe they were all duds.

In hindsight Watts should not have been picked #1, but Naitanui would definitely had left us early in his career had we selected him I believe. Our problems were always much, much bigger than Jack Watts, yet he was often the focus as something emblematic and wrong with our club - and that wasnt fair on him.

Shame that Watts never experienced playing in a final either (again, hardly alone at MFC in that regard) - transferred to Port the one year in 15 we actually made finals. Now Port look like a genuine premiership threat and Watts cant even get on the park and has to retire. Doubt he'll look back on his AFL career very fondly.

Good luck to the great man!

Always have found it ironic that Goody turfed him out, only to have blokes like Fritsch and Melksham run around in the forward half instead of him.... and now be looking for 'skills' this trade period.

But, that's life!

Disappointing for Jack. At various stages of his career he promised quite a bit, but you got the feeling he was never mentally prepared for the challenges and sacrifices to succeed at AFL level (hardly alone in that regard at MFC). I think we certainly mis-managed a lot of our junior players into the system - I dont believe they were all duds.

In hindsight Watts should not have been picked #1, but Naitanui would definitely had left us early in his career had we selected him I believe. Our problems were always much, much bigger than Jack Watts, yet he was often the focus as something emblematic and wrong with our club - and that wasnt fair on him.

Shame that Watts never experienced playing in a final either (again, hardly alone at MFC in that regard) - transferred to Port the one year in 15 we actually made finals. Now Port look like a genuine premiership threat and Watts cant even get on the park and has to retire. Doubt he'll look back on his AFL career very fondly.

You're kidding right? Of course he would.

Never met him. Only saw him play. But always thought playing footy wasn’t his passion. Could do some sublime things on occasion but his inability to rack up high possessions consistently I think demonstrated his lack of hunger for chasing the pill.

Bummed he never played those finals with us in 2018. Drafted into the worst Melbourne side in existence, think it scarred him a little. Don’t think you’d find a dees supporter that doesn’t love Jack.

Best of luck to him in whatever he decides to do!

That first game of his when he was beaten up by the opposition and the team did nothing to help him out is still my number one memory of him sadly.

Would have been nice for him to hit 200 Games, but 174 Games is a fantastic amount. Also, if he could have been a part of Port's current success that would have been a great way to go out. Copped an unfair amount of criticism as well I felt.

The calculating side of me gives the club 10/10 for trading him out though as in hindsight Port lost that deal (Dee's got Fritsch as part of that)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Always have found it ironic that Goody turfed him out, only to have blokes like Fritsch and Melksham run around in the forward half
An as an aside, i dont at all disagree with you. When Wattys is ON, he has had more talent in his little finger than those 2 have!
Just lacked some application at some points in his Time with us!

Never met him. Only saw him play. But always thought playing footy wasn’t his passion. Could do some sublime things on occasion but his inability to rack up high possessions consistently I think demonstrated his lack of hunger for chasing the pill.
But my argument is, Jack doesn't need to get the pill 30 times a game to hurt you.
We all know/knew he was never going to be a contested beast. (Viney, Oliver)
We drafted the "Best" school boy footballer in the country, knew it would take some time for a 17 year old to physically mature to AFL level and put on some muscle in the weighs room.

I really thought Jacks Ball use, efficency down field and in front of goals made him a valuable player. In front of Goals he was at some points as good as Jack Gunston. Pure Dead Eye Dick

Never forget how the media relentlessly went after him unlike any other player. Amazing he has seemed unaffected by it mentally.
Has any other player copped that kind of heat? McCartin the closest situation never did.

Has any other player copped that kind of heat? McCartin the closest situation never did.
Tom Boyd a little bit after his monster deal to the Dogs. But he won a flag and played well in the GF and all was forgiven.
I think how much we projected on him, and he was one of the last #1s to play in Vic for a while (Scully left then GC/GWS had the next few) added to the spotlight on Jack. Nic Nat being so athletic and his highlight reel (even if it took a while to be a consistent contributor) also contributed.

Don't worry, he is going to have much more time for his favourite activities such as swimming, and something else I can't recall right now.
iu

Goddamn we screwed him in the early days- made a nice big song and dance about his debut during the queens birthday game, kept him in the side while the whole team got slaughtered and his form dipped, and then dropped him against a start up (the Suns) when we had a chance to build some confidence.

That goal is probably the best single moment of those years of hell.

Thanks Jack. Good luck with the swimming and ****.
Posted about it at the time, sat two seats from a pies fan who was giving me s**t about him all game. I gave him the same Jesus pose as he sulked off.

Worth the #1.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back