Mod. Notice The One Stop Off Season State of Origin Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry then mate, guess I'll take any opinion that isn't 100% original and unrelated to any topic somewhere else. There's no State of Origin forum and I guess I didn't want to trawl through forums to find them. Maybe the number of threads just reflects a genuine interest in discussing it.

State of Origin has been dead for a long time

NRL there is meaning and value to the concept where players want to be apart of it and it’s just as big as the Grand Final.

Players in AFL want to play in it but if the concept was introduced they would do everything to back out and not commit to it. Doesn’t mean anything if the best players aren’t interested.

State of Origin has been dead for a long time

NRL there is meaning and value to the concept where players want to be apart of it and it’s just as big as the Grand Final.

Players in AFL want to play in it but if the concept was introduced they would do everything to back out and not commit to it. Doesn’t mean anything if the best players aren’t interested.

I wasn't proposing an actual competition. I proposed a system similar to All-Australian in which its a symbolic gesture. I get that actually playing the competition is unrealistic due to player demands.

6 teams

Vic, wa, sa, nsw/act, qld/nt, tas/world (ie Irish rebound backs and maybe cox)

Every 3 years in October November

Probably 16 aside on field

Two x three team round robins

Either semis or straight to gf

AFL has become to complex for one off rep games, it takes teams months to organise a decent zone, years to perfect it, do we just tell the coaches to let them play man on man? Lol.

It worked back in the day, we had a semi professional comp and a heap of non VFL players were selected for SA and WA and that added something, it added an unknown into the mix, we could've been playing another planet for what we knew and that's what it was like, there was an unknown, that aint happening now days though.

1 game per year, Vic, sa & wa alternating.

Eg:
2018- WA v Vic, Per
2019- Vic v SA, Melb
2020- SA v WA, Adel
2021- Vic v WA, Melb
2022- SA v Vic, Adel
2023- WA v SA, Per
And so on (as long as those states remain the footballing hubs of the country)

State of Origin is fine in theory. In practice, it's a train wreck. Clubs pay way too much these days for their top players to risk injury in what Bob Davis once described as a "nice little football match". If people want to see State of Origin, go to the cemetery because it died and was laid to rest years ago. It's dull that people keep bringing this up.

State of Origin is fine in theory. In practice, it's a train wreck. Clubs pay way too much these days for their top players to risk injury in what Bob Davis once described as a "nice little football match". If people want to see State of Origin, go to the cemetery because it died and was laid to rest years ago. It's dull that people keep bringing this up.

Seriously, who are you calling dull? Can you give me a link to one comment where you've had an original, interesting idea?

Comical projection

AFL has become to complex for one off rep games, it takes teams months to organise a decent zone, years to perfect it, do we just tell the coaches to let them play man on man? Lol.

It worked back in the day, we had a semi professional comp and a heap of non VFL players were selected for SA and WA and that added something, it added an unknown into the mix, we could've been playing another planet for what we knew and that's what it was like, there was an unknown, that aint happening now days though.

I think there is some validity to that. This is why I think it only works as a tournament, say once every three or four years, where teams start coming together in late September for a late October kick off.....perhaps they even have a few training sessions throughout the year.

Problem with State of Origin is nobody's actually analysed the reasons why people want to bring it back, which fall apart when you realise

National competition encompassing all players? Not required with a national AFL

Utilising State of Origin as an "all-star game" to see the best of the best play in a game? too cumbersome with how talent is now dispersed from all states, obvious issues of either going an Allies team or a finnicky divisional system, multiple games, or having teams play each other on a rotating basis, all of which have problems of their own.

Pushing for a return for the nostalgic value and to continue/represent the history of state footy that is over a hundred years old? I think hardcore fans overstate the respect for the history of the game "middle Australia" has, the millions of people who watch Friday Night Footy but aren't hardcore enough to post on BigFooty or listen to SEN in the morning. Plus the nostalgic value wears thin after one season's worth etc.

So the "reasons" people propose, the three most obvious as above, aren't the reason in my eyes for a return of State of Origin. Alternatively, if it were to return, I think it needs to be for outside-the-box reasons.

1. Maybe used as a marketing effort in the northern states? Rugby League has millions watching their State of Origin in those states, who might not watch another game of RL (outside of the Grand Final maybe). Many of those fans are more fans of the sporting parochialism of maroon/sky blue, as opposed to the code themselves - they will undoubtedly watch the AFL version of a State of Origin game, if they are marketed to correctly. The benefits of this

2. International expansion? Play a State of Origin game overseas. I don't know how it would work, but if they think that it can expand the game internationally whilst still catering to an Australian TV audience, maybe it'll work.

3. AFLX? People will want to watch it anyway out of sheer curiosity. I might not watch an AFLX game that doesn't have the Dogs playing, but if the first AFLX game had Victoria vs Western Australia, I might just watch anyway.

etc. etc. Any return to SOO had to be for "outside the box" reasons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1 game per year, Vic, sa & wa alternating.

Eg:
2018- WA v Vic, Per
2019- Vic v SA, Melb
2020- SA v WA, Adel
2021- Vic v WA, Melb
2022- SA v Vic, Adel
2023- WA v SA, Per
And so on (as long as those states remain the footballing hubs of the country)

Problem with that though is SA would be destroyed by Victoria. I think NSW/ACT would be able to beat South Australia.

I really find it perplexing that Aussie Rules Football fans are not interested in seeing the best of the best on the ground all at once, seeing the best our game can possibly be.

People point to the Grand Final as an example of this but it isn't, as any Grand Final winning team is still filled with B and C grade players. I am talking about matches where almost the entire team is A grade, or at the lowest a B grade.

If the AFL wanted to do it then it could be a success again, they just have to back it in and market it.
The sheep will follow as long as Gillon tells you to watch it.
Stupid idea like AFLX and the sheep will turn up and get behind it, the sheep are watching womans footy now because the AFL promoted it. No one was watching it before.
If Gillon wants to make the SOO the biggest game of the footy season he could, he just has to say it is and the sheep will be there in droves.

People who call other people "sheep" are so cringy.

I really find it perplexing that Aussie Rules Football fans are not interested in seeing the best of the best on the ground all at once, seeing the best our game can possibly be.

People point to the Grand Final as an example of this but it isn't, as any Grand Final winning team is still filled with B and C grade players. I am talking about matches where almost the entire team is A grade, or at the lowest a B grade.
Because although it sounds great in theory it would be absolute s**t in practice. When the ultimate prize is the AFL season and premiership no player really cares about the game that really means nothing, and it would end up being some shitty glorified practice match with players all going at 50% out there. Like a ****in NAB Challenge game except with elite talent.

See the 07 AFL Vics v The rest, Probowl, NBA all-star games. They were and are crap.

I think there's a justifiable concern that it'd end up resembling the NBA All-Star game, where you have a great collection of names but it's just a borefest as everyone is going at about 10%/totally taking the piss to avoid injury.

Bring back.

1. Only those who play in it are those who qualify for the All-Australian team and to play against Ireland.
2. Pay the players $10K to play in each match. The AFL has the cash to afford it.
3. If selected and if the players do not play, it's an immediate 1 game club suspension.

Has to be a carrot and stick approach.

Waste of Time energy money..As others have said the window of opportunity for SoO has come and gone. When Australia plays against China in 2075 I will be there.....in spirit of course.

I reckon if it isn't viable to have State of Origin games played, the AFL should at least give out jumpers in the same way they give out All-Australian jumpers. Also, that means they could possibly have individual state teams rather than an Allies side, as there's no need to have a competitive fourth team in the competition. This would also require co-operation with SANFL, WAFL and the other state leagues in regards to teams such as NT, Tasmania and ACT which don't have enough AFL listed players to fill a side. Would be a nice little addition to the end of the season awards I reckon.

All Australian Night they should also announce a 35 man squad for each state leading up to it and on the night each state has a 22 named also.

Now what I would love to then see, is they actually turn that into being the squad for late February that those players train with each other for a week and then play 2 weekends of state of origin games in early March. Meanwhile the JLT series is played in regional centres for the clubs and their other players not playing state football and then a week after state of origin series over we have final week of practice matches for clubs and then into the actual AFL club season two weeks later. Furthermore make the state of origin series MASSIVE. Put massive lots of money, support and coverage into it so players are rewarded and also some financial kick back to clubs in some form for how many of their players take part. Screw wasting time of AFLX ideas in March. Get bloody highest level of game up and bloody running. It is a joke we do not have it.

Yes, would love to see it, but not some Vic v the rest BS.

Sheedy was saying Perth Stadium should have opened with WA v Big V and charge $100 a ticket for 60,000 fans and pay the players super well.

“ there’s $6 million that’s walked out the door ... I’d do it tomorrow,” Sheedy, who was in Perth yesterday to launch his new book celebrating his 50 years at football’s elite level, said. “We’ve got to think smarter. I think there are foolish, heads in the sand people who get locked in on only what they honestly think is the only way.

GUE1ARRIF.1-0.jpg

AFL legend Kevin Sheedy says WA missed a great opportunity for State of Origin.Picture: Ian Munro/The West Australian
“It’s frustrating. If you paid the players $1 million, you think they’d play. Of course, they would.”

https://thewest.com.au/news/wa/afl-...hould-have-opened-perth-stadium-ng-b88658050z

Sheedy was saying Perth Stadium should have opened with WA v Big V and charge $100 a ticket for 60,000 fans and pay the players super well.

“ there’s $6 million that’s walked out the door ... I’d do it tomorrow,” Sheedy, who was in Perth yesterday to launch his new book celebrating his 50 years at football’s elite level, said. “We’ve got to think smarter. I think there are foolish, heads in the sand people who get locked in on only what they honestly think is the only way.

GUE1ARRIF.1-0.jpg

AFL legend Kevin Sheedy says WA missed a great opportunity for State of Origin.Picture: Ian Munro/The West Australian
“It’s frustrating. If you paid the players $1 million, you think they’d play. Of course, they would.”

https://thewest.com.au/news/wa/afl-...hould-have-opened-perth-stadium-ng-b88658050z

You watch how quick their injuries heal when they get 30k for a match.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back