Mod. Notice The One Stop Off Season State of Origin Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh, I agree wholeheartedly on the timing, it makes the most sense, the standalone weekend is a bit much though.

There's no evidence of this though, there's been only one representative game of football in over 20 years, and player availability for that was very good, despite it occurring in May or June.

That was a one off, and the proceeds went to past players welfare or something like that IIRC.

I am however referring more to the attitude that was prevailing when SOO was dropped. Players weren't keen to play another game, and clubs hated risking their stars.

Of special note, the club that hated it most was WCE (don't think Adelaide was around then), both because the WA SOO team took so many of their players (much higher rate than any other club, with added risk of injury/lack of rest) and because it took away from the image they were trying to push about them be 'the WA team'.

Certainly not disagreeing with you but if the AFL can manufacture what they have done with Anzac Day, Dreamtime, Season opener etc then they could easily do it with SOO. They chose to let it die though and now it’s gone.
I can’t speak for anyone else but SOO footy has always been and could of still been the one true elite level of the sport.

The problems.
1. A date.
2. Getting the clubs on board (they always hated it more than the league)
3. Getting the players to not only agree but want to play.

Not sure that all of those can be resolved at once.

The problems.
1. A date.

Week before the granny

Fkk the clubs

Coin

Well you gotta entice them - players get a good share of the gate / tv rights and all of a sudden there will be interest

and how are you going to get the clubs to sign off on millions of dollars of their salary caps running around risking injury (or even just not getting a rest)?

Week before the granny

Fkk the clubs

Coin

So, you don't have the players from the top 4 clubs, and the players from the bottom 10 will need to stay in training for weeks after they could have gone on holidays...

Not sure you'd make enough coin to break even on that.

and how are you going to get the clubs to sign off on millions of dollars of their salary caps running around risking injury (or even just not getting a rest)?
The afl make and break every other rule

You can bet they have some clause in place that allows them to take players for events - such as international rules

And as for rest - hold it the week before the granny - give the gf teams a week off

Only have teams made up of players not in the granny

The afl make and break every other rule

You can bet they have some clause in place that allows them to take players for events - such as international rules

And as for rest - hold it the week before the granny - give the gf teams a week off

Only have teams made up of players not in the granny

I believe the teams playing in the prelims would have an issue with that.

Play it in October after the GF. 1 series between Vic vs WA and a tri series between SA NSW and QLD.

Alternatively, and more likely, there could be an East vs West Series each year, with players from QLD, NSW, VIC, TAS playing off against the best off SA, WA, NT.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As much as I loved SOO in the early 80's, the concept is outdated and doesn't work with the structure of a National competition.
Need a new all inclusive concept, not just a meaningless allstar concept.
Something like a top ten draft pick team v the rest might appeal.

State of Origin works in the NRL because it's two states and they don't give a s**t about growing the sport in the rest of Australia.

The AFL can't put five states in the same game.

When they were playing AFLX in pre-season they should have been playing a state of origin series over 2 weeks. The kids missing out could have been playing AFLX as curtain raiser.

The AFL proposed this a few years ago. Everyone blew a gasket at the thought of their club's players getting injured and it was cancelled.
It’s weird how people think SoO or and All-Star game will make players get injured. With the amount of match simulation done at training now players are just as likely to injure themselves at training, if not more because they train more than once a week. Last year or a couple years back Chen Shaoliang (one of the Port rookie listed players) did his ACL, Hamish Hartlett did his ACL a few weeks ago as well.

The problems.
1. A date.

1) I don’t have a date but the AFL run this business not me, they just pick a date.

2) stop asking the clubs, any player that is not made available through fake injury will be suspended for 2 games with their club.

3) The players seem to want to play, the clubs are the issue. I still think players want to play representative footy.

Clubs are the problem, take their power off them and stop even consulting them.

State of Origin works in the NRL because it's two states and they don't give a s**t about growing the sport in the rest of Australia.

The AFL can't put five states in the same game.

Multiball!

Have a SOO with the lower league during a bye round to showcase the best of the best in that league.

Would do well to promote grassroots football

I.e best of the VFL Vs SAFL Vs NT ect
They do that every year.

Yeah sure I want Vic v SA or Vic v WA but which one?

Alternate pre-seasons for each. So lets say WA v Vic in Australian Championship 1

What to do with the state we don’t play?
They play NSW that same weekend.

The winners meet next week in the Championship Final. The losers play off for relegation to division 2 for next pre-season.

3 big states just doesn’t work and everyone wants to be included.

Exactly. So division 1 is for the top 4 states and the title on line each pre-season for Australian Champion.

Division 2 is for the remaining states to earn the right to be promoted to division one the following year to get a crack against the strong football states.

So for example Vic, WA, SA & NSW in division 1.

Tassie, Queensland, ACT & NT in division 2.

2 weekends each March of pre-season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back