The Ones That Got Away

Remove this Banner Ad

We let Dan Minogue go too.

Went on to captain coach Richmond to premiership glory.

Happened a lot back then & before.

Ron Todd a classic example.
Another one was Len Fitzgerald. He first played for us as a 15 year old in 1945. He was still only a 20 year old at the end of the 1950 season when he was offered a secure and well-paying job by Sturt in South Aussie. Fitzgerald won 3 Margery Medals with Sturt and is in the AFL Hall of Fame. We were runners-up a number of times throughout the 1950's. If we had hung on to Fitzgerald, maybe there might have been an extra flag or two in the trophy cabinet.

I’m sure all clubs have a few regrets. We maybe could have won a few more but perhaps a few teams could have made us lose some we won.

Plugger for me I heard that we were his preferred option
Howard his dad was a mad Collingwood fan.

Legend has it he was even more keen on the Bush than Tony so would only have played VFL if it was for. Ollingwood. He was apparently a terrific player too.

Then there’s the players that didn’t get away...

Nathan Buckley
Anthony Rocca
Tony Francis

Something like Pick 14 + Thomas or Pick 14 and Davis I think?

Ended up using 14 on Cam Wood. Could have gotten Rance, Ward, Taylor or Tarrant :(

Pick 14, Rusling and Davis.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jim O’Dea was the one that got away....

With that heinous act.

Paul Roos was on a plane back from USA to sign for the Pies. Last minute Roys pulled the plug on the deal

Lockett was the biggest one, can’t believe Tommo & another ******* said he would be bad for the club???!

Judd wanted to be a Pie but Player Manager said you won’t get there it’ll be too hard.

Sent from my Warped mind

I remember every year we had ones fall over.

Judd - just couldn't get the deal done
Nick Stevens - Port and Pies were terrible
Joe Misti - Paperwork was lodged late
Fraser Gerig - Saints offered more cash
Tony Lockett - The story just continues to grow
Fevola - Carlton wouldn't do the trade
Peter Everitt - Would have helped Fraser

Another one was Len Fitzgerald. He first played for us as a 15 year old in 1945. He was still only a 20 year old at the end of the 1950 season when he was offered a secure and well-paying job by Sturt in South Aussie. Fitzgerald won 3 Margery Medals with Sturt and is in the AFL Hall of Fame. We were runners-up a number of times throughout the 1950's. If we had hung on to Fitzgerald, maybe there might have been an extra flag or two in the trophy cabinet.

And you can throw in Des Fothergill for good measure...

One of these guys would have helped us win the 2011 Grand final....

Judd
Fevola

Both were very close to sign at Pies at different times.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back