Roast The opposition piling on goals

Remove this Banner Ad

Agreed. Rhys is arguably the best we currently have, and contracted to the end of 2023, as is Ceglar. That suggests there will probably be no interest in another ruckman and allow Conway and Neale to get a further two years of development under their belts.

No argument about it really. Still our best ruckman by a comfortable distance.

The one thing I don't want us to do now that we've invested in Toby Conway and Shannon Neale, is trade for a ruckman.

I could live with a Stef Martin cheapie if Ceglar doesn't come through, but otherwise...
Agree - but we've also shot ourselves in the foot by letting Fort go and grabbing Ceglar.
Look how Fort has come on since getting game time at the Lions.
Fort had games with us when he hit the scoreboard , I recall comments about it being luck but on exposed form now that's a falsehood.

Even with fast footy time in possession generally works out at 50/50 unless it's a shellacking.
Seems you need to take your chances and put the score on the board when it's your turn - we should have been 2-3 goals ahead of the Saints at 1/2 time but were wasteful.
Momentum shifts need to be capitalised on else you're going to get burned the other way when the opposition has their time......

Seems you need to take your chances and put the score on the board when it's your turn - we should have been 2-3 goals ahead of the Saints at 1/2 time but were wasteful.
Just a gut feel but I reckon we're close to the worse offenders when it comes to that, and I'm not just talking about this year. Plenty of finals we should've either had a bigger margin or been closer, but have failed to capitalise when we've been on top in general play.

I think it is a physicality problem, In all of the games we played, it felt that there has been places where we've been absolutely dominant, but we can't keep it up all game, which is why slow football (and the shortened quarters of 2020) kept us in the game.

Unfortunately our midfield can't pull momentum back our way once the other side gains momentum. The usual suspects who we had relied on to do it just can't anymore. The current rules makes it even harder.

It is up to Scott to manufacture what he can with out list, despite our deficiencies we aren't too far off, a slight improvement in finishing would have had a huge change in our ladder position.

I feel as if we need to add more players to the inside midfield rotation after half time, after thinking what do we have left to throw in there, Tom Atkins?

I did get some amusement (with the benefit of an 11 game winning streak) from some of the early posts in this thread, but I do want to nominate Lana as our next coach, based on the last line of her post. An inspired choice which has paid off.

I would also endorse her third paragraph, we weren't too far off in the early part of the year, but now we seem to have clicked.

(Seriously, I like these sorts of posts. They aren't negative, negative, negative.)

The issue is still there and can be a little troubling.

Rnd 12 WB: We start with 8 of first 9 goals then let them kick 7 of 8

Rnd 13 WC: Build a comfortable lead before they kick 4 straight to level scores at half time

Rnd 14 RICH: We let them turn a 6 goal lead into a 3 goal deficit

Rnd 19 PA: 8 goal to 1 3rd quarter erased a 34 pt HT lead

Rnd 20 WB: They had 4 goals on the board before we even reached the stadium

3 of those occasions we've had 5+ goal leads then trailed. 3 times however we've wrestled back momentum and gone on to win.
It's promising that this team can go again and still win these games that we probably lose by 5 goals in past seasons. But we can keep giving up these leads because we might run into a team in finals that don't let us take back the lead

I did get some amusement (with the benefit of an 11 game winning streak) from some of the early posts in this thread, but I do want to nominate Lana as our next coach, based on the last line of her post. An inspired choice which has paid off.

I would also endorse her third paragraph, we weren't too far off in the early part of the year, but now we seem to have clicked.

(Seriously, I like these sorts of posts. They aren't negative, negative, negative.)

I've already sent my resume to North, really excited by the opportunity

Momentum is a seriously dangerous thing this year.

Go and look at most games this season from any team and you will find large swings in a freaking lot of them. The teams at the top of the ladder have all had periods in which they have been scored against heavily.
That's the new modern footy where clubs take the game on and expose themselves. The difference between the good clubs and the great clubs is

1. Having the momentum in your favour for more time
2. Being as damaging as possible when you have the momentum

The pies tick box 2, they are the most dangerous team of the lot with ball in hand (when it works). Their biggest weakness is that they turn the ball over lots, so don't have long waves of momentum. If we can exploit that, that's the game.

R2 Q2 Sydney 7.0
R3 Q3 Collingwood 9.1
R5 Q4 Hawthorn 4.4 (to 0.4)
R6 Q4 North 5.2
R7 Q3 Freo 4.1 (to 1.2)
R8 Q3 St Kilda 7.4

Houston, we have a problem.
Seems to have slowed down in the 2nd half of the year

R15 Richmond 5.4 to 1.3
R19 Port 8.3 to 1.3

Seems to have slowed down in the 2nd half of the year

R15 Richmond 5.4 to 1.3
R19 Port 8.3 to 1.3
Got the 4-man defensive forward pressure set-up sorted out with Stengle-Miers-Close-Rohan, making it harder to exploit the weakness of our helter skelter forward handpassing system, namely its openness to counter attack.

Last edited:
R21 Q2, Saints 4.1 to 2.1

With their midfield ascendancy the Saints probably should have kicked about six. Earlier in the year we probably would have coughed up roughly that many. This time the Saints exhausted themselves and ended up with little to show for it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back