Solved The Original Night Stalker/East Area Rapist

Shellyg thats been ongoing since jjd arrest afaik. That does seem to be misinformation though...Wwait,
Where did that rumor source from please?
JmO

Not known for journalistic integrity and otherwise known as Daily Fail, a pic with caption. "Also taken from the home scene were ski masks believed to be worn during most of the encounters."

balaclavas.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...al-killers-bedroom-stocked-sick-trophies.html

metic

Club Legend
Nov 20, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
This rumor was started by newbies who jumped on the sleuth bandwagon post arrest. I saw it occuring
I had followed the case for years already , those balaclavas are just a very old picture of the EAR evidence.
Some new fools saw the photo bleary eyes from "information overload" and it became a story.
Thats Exactly what i figured- that actual photo is where rumor began..
The rumor is about EAR evidence thats many years old .
It was that exact photo of the balaclavas that i thought was responsible for the chatter and im glad to explain here.
Similar sort of thing happened when the CSK arrest few yrs ago, it was chaos for a few weeks on the public forums and old sleuths who know, cant contain the wildfires.
The masks picture has been around for years.
Rumor quashed
Not known for journalistic integrity and otherwise known as Daily Fail, a pic with caption. "Also taken from the home scene were ski masks believed to be worn during most of the encounters."

View attachment 504717

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...al-killers-bedroom-stocked-sick-trophies.html

It was that exact photo of the balaclavas that i thought was responsible for the chatter and im glad to explain here.
Similar sort of thing happened when the CSK arrest few yrs ago, it was chaos for a few weeks on the public forums and old sleuths who know, cant contain the wildfires.
The masks picture has been around for years.
Rumor quashed

You're like the Snopes of True Crime.

Released a copy of the warrant. So far.

P v DeAngelo Redacted Arrest Warrant (Final) (1)

Interesting, Claude Snelling is mentioned in it as a professor at the Kings County Public Safety Academy (police training academy) which they say on the warrant is the epicentre of the Visalia Ransacker crimes.

I don't think he's been charged with Snelling's murder yet.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
For those who want to try and get their heads around the DNA and associated issues, Debbie Kennet a respected genealogist and leading member of ISOGG has put together some links on her blog that discuss the case.

https://cruwys.blogspot.com/2018/04/gedmatch-ysearch-and-golden-state-killer.html

As an example

The search warrant information was released on 1st June 2018. See pages 49 and 50 for the details of how the police obtained surreptitious DNA samples (apparently perfectly legally) from DeAngelo's car door handle and from a tissue taken from his dustbin (trash can):

http://www.sacbee.com/latest-news/article212377094.html

Robbie1958

Rookie
Jul 13, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Heard bits and pieces but nothing about Cruel possibly being a cop, ever actually which might even be a bit weird because surely considering the way he operated, it must have crossed someone's mind.

Elkner is interesting but he has to be covered and they can't arrest him. If he's the number one suspect, they would have been all over him for years, spared no expense and eventually would have linked him in. I think like the EAR, the real Cruel was probably never (OFFICIALLY) on their radar at all.
academic is suspect?

Jan 26, 2007
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Melbourne United
I think that there has been some on death row in California for decades, and given that DeAneglo is in his 70s, a death sentence would probably merely be symbolic.

He was apparently in good health, so he could foreseeably live for a further 15 - 20 years. Even though he was caught late in life, he will spend the rest of his life in isolation as a rapist and former cop, so that is a severe punishment in a way.

Feerits Elf

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 28, 2008
Maribyrnong
AFL Club
St Kilda
It's still bizarre to me that he did all this and then just seemed to stop.
Have a look at the timeline though:
  • The Visalia Ransacker Crimes start when he's aged 27, still working as a cop
  • Marries at 28, Visalia Ransacker crimes continue until his third year of marriage (aged 30)
  • EAR crimes occur from ages 30-33 (third to sixth years of marriage, still working as a cop)
  • Then he's fired from the police at age 33. After this event his crimes escalate to murder
  • The first seven ONS murders occur from ages 34-35 (sixth-seventh years of marriage)
  • Then he and his wife discover they're expecting their first child
  • At age 35 he commits the eighth and ninth ONS murders when his wife's in her third trimester (sort of a "last hurrah" before he retires)
  • Then his first daughter's born in September 1981 and he retires at 35. He's now a family man with family responsibilities, he can't get away to go stalking even if he wanted to
  • From ages 36-40 his daughter's an infant, a toddler and a preschooler and he commits no further murders
  • Aged 40 he and his wife are expecting their second child and he does a John Farnham and he comes out of retirement to commit the tenth ONS murder for his final "last hurrah" before retiring for good
  • From ages 41-43 he's back to his family responsibilities, raising a 5-7 year old and an infant/toddler
  • When he's 41, Florida rapist Tommie Lee Andrews is the first person convicted in the US as a result of DNA evidence. s**t.
  • When he's 42, Virginia rapist/murderer Timothy Wilson Spencer is convicted as a result of DNA evidence and is sentenced to death. s**t s**t s**t.
  • At 43 his wife gives birth to their third daughter. Shortly thereafter he starts working at the Savemart distribution centre. Now they have a seven-year-old, a two-year-old and a newborn. He ain't doing s**t but wiping arses and turning up every day as a working stiff to put food on the table
  • In 1991 he separates from his wife. His daughters are now aged about 9, 4 and 2. He's 45.

If you treat the Cruz rape/murder in 1986 (when he was 40) as an anomalous outlier attributable to him wanting to do one more before he had two kids under his wing, his violent sex crimes are restricted to the period between 1976 and 1981 (when he's aged 30-35 and childless). After that he turns his attention to raising his family and effectively retires. By the time he's in a position to return to rape and murder (say, when his youngest is approaching school age, circa 1995), he's approaching 50 and he doesn't have the motivation or inclination.

At the time of his earliest possible return to rape and murder:
  • he was about 50
  • his libido would have declined, suppressing the urge to rape/murder for sexual satisfaction
  • his physical fitness would have declined simply by virtue of age, decreasing his motivation to embark on nighttime prowling/stalking/housebreaking and increasing his chances of being detected or apprehended
  • looking at his body type, I submit that he would have experienced quite a bit of "middle age spread" relative to other men his age, making it even harder to get around
  • he would have had about eight years of watching other rapists/murderers getting arrested, convicted and in some cases executed because they left their DNA on the victim
  • he hadn't worked as a police officer for more than 15 years and wasn't familiar with modern investigative techniques, so didn't have the same level of confidence or bravado about evading detection.
At the time of the ONS crimes he'd escalated to murdering for sexual satisfaction while in his early 30s. Then life got in the way and by the time he had the opportunity to return to such shenanigans, he just didn't have it in him anymore. He wasn't a madman, he was a sex case who applied sound logic and reasoning and knew it was time to give it away.

In Danny Glover parlance, he got "too old for this s**t".

Last edited:

GreyPower

Club Legend
Oct 15, 2014
PAFC
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Anyone see the 60 Minutes segment - and documentary straight after - from a couple of weeks ago?

I recorded both and have only just had a chance to watch them.

I found the documentary to be quite interesting, although it didnt really cover a lot that hadnt been revealed already.

I must admit Ive got a lot of admiration for Paul Holes.

Mar 21, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
For those who want to try and get their heads around the DNA and associated issues, Debbie Kennet a respected genealogist and leading member of ISOGG has put together some links on her blog that discuss the case.

https://cruwys.blogspot.com/2018/04/gedmatch-ysearch-and-golden-state-killer.html

As an example

The search warrant information was released on 1st June 2018. See pages 49 and 50 for the details of how the police obtained surreptitious DNA samples (apparently perfectly legally) from DeAngelo's car door handle and from a tissue taken from his dustbin (trash can):

http://www.sacbee.com/latest-news/article212377094.html
As a further aside the rise in these arrests ( 19 so far) has led a researcher to determine that 60% of people with European Ancestry ( read United Kingdom mostly) can be identified from 3-4th cousin range.

Sure wish they would help me find my links

-------------

These cases are not exceptional, according to his analysis, now published inScience. Golden State Killer investigators found their suspect through third- and fourth-cousin matches in a database called GEDmatch, which includes information from about 1 million people. In a database of that size, Erlich and his co-authors show, nearly 60 percent of people have a relative who is a third cousin or closer.

It’s not hard to imagine being able to identify nearly every American through a relative’s DNA.

Another pattern jumped out in the MyHeritage data: People of primarily northern European ancestry were more likely to have matches than people of primarily sub-Saharan ancestry. This reflects the predominantly white customer base for MyHeritage and most other direct-to-consumer DNA tests. It also means that genetic-genealogy searches by law enforcement are, for now, more likely to succeed with people of European descent.

sprockets

Cancelled
Crime Board Sleuth BeanCoiNFT Investor
Oct 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
As a further aside the rise in these arrests ( 19 so far) has led a researcher to determine that 60% of people with European Ancestry ( read United Kingdom mostly) can be identified from 3-4th cousin range.

Sure wish they would help me find my links

-------------

These cases are not exceptional, according to his analysis, now published inScience. Golden State Killer investigators found their suspect through third- and fourth-cousin matches in a database called GEDmatch, which includes information from about 1 million people. In a database of that size, Erlich and his co-authors show, nearly 60 percent of people have a relative who is a third cousin or closer.

It’s not hard to imagine being able to identify nearly every American through a relative’s DNA.

Another pattern jumped out in the MyHeritage data: People of primarily northern European ancestry were more likely to have matches than people of primarily sub-Saharan ancestry. This reflects the predominantly white customer base for MyHeritage and most other direct-to-consumer DNA tests. It also means that genetic-genealogy searches by law enforcement are, for now, more likely to succeed with people of European descent.
I don't understand the red bit. Is he saying that 60% of people that enter their data into the (GEDmatch) database will find a (third cousin or closer) relative in that database? More reading for me I guess.

As for identifying every American through a relative's DNA, you'd need both (person and relative) DNA samples, not just the relative's.

Mar 21, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
I don't understand the red bit. Is he saying that 60% of people that enter their data into the (GEDmatch) database will find a (third cousin or closer) relative in that database? More reading for me I guess.
3rd cousin level , not closer . As to the base comment 60% of people should find a 3rd cousin relative . I would argue 100% of people that put dna files into the database find a relative at 3rd cousin.

I guess the meaning is that of the American population , as an example, 60% of those should be able to match a person on a dna database.

As for identifying every American through a relative's DNA, you'd need both (person and relative) DNA samples, not just the relative's.
Only after you identify the target. But yes the point stands

The thinking is that if Sprockets brother Ratchet has his dna on a publically listed site that you can also be identified. The identification comes from the paper trail.

If your 3rd cousin has committed a crime and your brothers dna comes up as a linking match , then the process of elimination begins, and the good news should be you're eliminated first as you are too close. But the person looking can also eliminate a fair proportion based on geography

If the crime is in Sydney and Ratchet and Sprocket family lives in Perth and have done so for a long time then the 1st link might be all the Sydney based matches.

The history of it all in an interview with CeCe Moore, pretty sneaky but fascinating. Essentially the genealogists in closed groups, were just marking time debating the ethics of working with the police on crime until the data was big enough to mine in open source. The carefully managed arrest of the EAR gauged public reaction to the method used.

In another video she says, anonymity is over. If this is correct "Only 2 per cent of a population needs to be on a genealogy database to link almost everyone to a third cousin." It's definitely all over.

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/...tter&utm_medium=social&utm_content=2018-09-14

And here's the genealogist behind Paul Holes.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/29/science/barbara-rae-venter-gsk.html

revo333

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 7, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
As brutal and tragic as it was, I think its the most interesting crime story - true or fiction - that I've ever come across.

The story of him following the guy home from the town meeting and then raping his wife in front of him is movie script kind of stuff

Back