Streaming The Orville - Seth MacFarlane

Streaming Television

Remove this Banner Ad

The Orville S2 Ep 2 "Primal Urges" is the one that was shot in S1 and held over, and I can see why. The core subject matter was completely unexpected, and I have to admire Seth's bravery to broach such a taboo subject on mainstream TV. There was a tamer version of this story on Star Trek NG, who can forget the bumbling Reg, but this was amazing and funny. I suspect some won't find it funny, though, but it pushed people's buttons either way going by twitter. The computer graphics in the side story of the red giant swallowing a planet was awesome too.

Last edited:
Some interesting themes alright, not just the pr0n addiction but also touching on drawing the line between respecting other cultures' practices while not condoning outright barbarism. Could definitely sense some underlying parallels with Muslim honour killings, for example.

There was a tamer version of this story on Star Trek NG, who can forget the bumbling Reg, but this was amazing and funny.

That's what I love about this show, it's like a Star Trek series with all inhibitions removed.

S2 E3 - Home

The worst kept secret on any TV show ever was Halston Sage (Alara Kitan) leaving the show. We've all known about since Feb last year (though the mods here didn't seem to) and this episode is her goodbye. The episode is pretty flawless in its tone, the special effects and sound track are exceptional. Great seeing a couple of Star Trek alums in this one, and the story is solid enough to keep you invested in what's happening. The show is back on track after the not so great pr0n addiction one last week. I'll miss Alara, I thought her breezy girl-next-door character really added to the show, not to mention she was easy on the eye.

Great episode. Already up on 'SBS on demand' service.

Last edited:
S2 EP4 Nothing Left on Earth Excepting Fishes

Ed finds himself behind enemy lines when he crash lands on a mysterious planet; Kelly questions why Gordon wants to take the Command Test.

This episode is the epitome what we used to see in ST:TNG - a well fleshed out story that not only links us to last season, but is also a great stand-alone story. It has some of ST's 'Everyman' tropes in it, but the story still manages to not be preachy. Especially when the show could've easily gone into a science versus religion fight, but they restrained themselves, and was respectful of the Krill's religion that drives them to attack everyone. The use of Billy Joel music at the end was the exclamation mark that this episode needed. The series, as it did last year, is getting better each week.

Really enjoyed the latest ep. Storylines where we meet new planets with mysterious quirks in their culture are always my favourites.

I'm not a fan of the new security officer. The actress is unappealing.
I really liked Halston Sage as Alarra. She was charismatic and sweet.

Strange choice of replacement.

I hope that Patrick Warburton's character returns. He is funny.

I preferred Alarra, but I'm willing to give the new one time. She hasn't really had the chance to show any character yet.

It's been an interesting two weeks for the show. I really thought the first contact episode was probably the worst I have seen out of both seasons, so many plot holes it took you out of the show. I was worrying the show had taken a turn for the worse but they restored my faith this week with the love story between Claire & Isaac showing what they can do when they make this show about the characters, not "push button" issues. The strength of this show is the characters and the ensemble cast they have playing them. Some are finding it weird that a woman had sex with a robot, but it's hardly a new trope in sci fi.

Loved Bortus' moustache btw, looked like a Moclan Tom Selleck.

Loved Bortus' moustache btw, looked like a Moclan Tom Selleck.
51429967_10156994529312232_1087416986985562112_o.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh damn, s**t just got real!

Halfway through that ep I was starting to think it was a shame how they seem to have backed off the humour for more of a straight TNG vibe this season, but if they're going to deliver epicness like that I don't even care!

A real Cybermen from Dr Who vibe about the Kaylon at the end there.

Speaking of humour though, that exchange:

'I can't believe he told them about the Mr Potato Head thing'
'Yeah, we're going to get fired'

...gave me the biggest laugh of the season.

That's the stuff I think they need to be careful not to lose too much of. That's what set the first season apart from standard scifi.

It was pretty good. The conclusion to those two-parters is never as good as the first instalment - it's a lot harder to tie up an epic plot satisfyingly than it is to set it up in the first place, but they did it pretty well.

Isaac having a change of heart was a pretty predictable trope, but getting the Krill involved was pretty kickass. I didn't see that coming.

Mostly yeah, with a bit of nah...

Pros:
1) It's hysterically funny in a few places.
2) The good guys don't always win, and it can be a bit confronting for those of us living in our righteous predominantly white Christian western world. The sex change for Bortus's kid actually happened, which was quite unexpected given the tone of the episode up to that point. You could imagine Star Trek umming and uhhuing and alluding, whereas this show just does it.
3) The stories are interesting.
4) The aliens look and sound better than those on Star Trek, who used to settle for a weird nose alteration and leave it at that, before a late episode where they conveniently state that an common ancestor species of humans, Romulans, Klingons, etc, etc, etc, is responsible for everyone basically looking alike! They don't all sound like they've studied Shakespeare at drama school. Not the greatest CGI ever, but they use it wisely...

Cons:
1) They are directly ripping off Star Trek. Admittedly, they seem to have their blessing, with old ST actors making cameos, and blatant alterations which surely wouldn't have gotten by the lawyers of a hostile original franchise (e.g. USS now stands for Union Space Ship, and Bortus might as well be Worf). But it is using an old template...
2) Too many 20th century references. Sure, this generation is probably the first to quite openly say that their parents music is better than their own, but will that love for the 70's-90's last for another 200 years?
3) The show doesn't add anything new to the genre except swearwords! SciFi changed quite dramatically with Galactica coming in as ST Enterprise struggled to interest audiences totally over the ST way of scifi storytelling and Episode 3 had us all hoping for prequel redemption, but Orville seems to be taking us back to 2002...

The show needs to make use of the very obvious characteristics it has - it's Seth McFarlane ffs - and take extremity up a level or two. That doesn't mean it has to become Family Guy or use more profanity or be gory, but the storytelling could really go places no ST show has ever gone before, and the show doesn't strike me as trying to cater for dumb plebs, even though it doesn't have that pretentious ST could sometimes be known for - they could be heavier in the science emphasis, and be free to really f### with the ethical and emotional side of it, as ST couldn't due to its more conservative background...
And they've 100% delivered. Can't believe how much they've upped this show. I stand corrected. Totally into season 2...

Last edited:
Wow, the part 2 of "Identity" was absolutely kickass. The best sci fi show on TV.
Agree with estibador on that bit, the part 2 did fall a little short, but it had a lot to contend with - part 1 is as good a tv episode of any sci-fi show I've ever seen. Absolutely chilling. Seth M is proving himself to be a gun in entertainment...

I was hoping Isaac was playing the field the entire time...the change of heart highlights an inconsistency in the character's "species". We've been watching him battle with the idea of emotions throughout 2 seasons, a robot without any, and now we find out he belongs to a species that's driven by them, an inconsistency in logic that diminishes the character a bit. It would have been better if he decided through sheer logic alone that stopping his own race was the best course of action, and that he was undermining them from the start. That could have opened up some pretty interesting dialogue once he'd come clean...

part 1 is as good a tv episode of any sci-fi show I've ever seen. Absolutely chilling. Seth M is proving himself to be a gun in entertainment...

Absolutely. First time I can ever remember being so transfixed by an episode of sci fi. Absolutely chilling is the perfect description of that last 10 minutes.

After eagerly waiting all week I was actually a bit disappointed they opened with the gag scene of Gordon approaching the guards. I felt it deflated the tension they'd left hanging so brilliantly at the end ep 1... and I say that as someone who's a big fan of the irreverent comedy in the show.

I thought Part 2 was just as good as Part 1, this show always has a few minor plot points that are weak because they have to conclude the story within the time frame usually. The thing is, if you start thinking about these too much it just spoils the show for you. It's just a TV show. Not everything has to be expositionally perfect. Just enjoy it for what it is. Good TV.

Nah...I'm an overthinker and proud of it! Suggesting improvement to something you already think is pretty good is the height of engagement...!

Nothing to say means nothing to see...

Nah...I'm an overthinker and proud of it! Suggesting improvement to something you already think is pretty good is the height of engagement...!

Nothing to say means nothing to see...
Yeah, and I'm sure Seth will be looking for your suggest improvements.

If a million geeks across the world agree with me and say so, then maybe he will...arty Cannes or commercial Hollywood, looks like he made his choice years ago. No doubt he too was one of the geeks years ago who dug ST, and ended up in the unique position where he can do something about any improvements he may have suggested...how do you know I'm not harbouring similar ambitions and gifted with a GoPro...?

Anyway, it's all in the spirit of enjoying and appreciating his work regardless. If noone talks about it, he's failed...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back