The other aspects of travelling

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL players should try being professional wrestlers in WWE, working 250 nights a year on the road, then the might know something about the physical and psychological impact of travel in between a high-pressure, physically demanding job and workout schedule.
Yeah, and that's not a contrived bunch of rubbish...

I think you have nailed the main points, in regards to the disruption of routine / sleep patterns.

I recall hearing somewhere that West Coast are yet to have a 300 game player? Not sure whether greater exposure to travel (for West Coast and Fremantle) has any bearing on player longevity.

Melbourne's only had one 300 game player (Neitz) and we've been around since before air travel existed

AFL players should try being professional wrestlers in WWE, working 250 nights a year on the road, then the might know something about the physical and psychological impact of travel in between a high-pressure, physically demanding job and workout schedule.

Irrelevant given WWE doesn't have a team in the AFL

Yeah so true, no 300 game players for the eagles in 30 years and only 7 with 250+ games!

For a club with only a 30 year history, this has little to do with the travel factor.
It takes 15 years to reach 300 games, so that already counts out half their all time playing group.

Collingwood have played 2507 games in 121 seasons and only have two 300 gamers - that's 1 every 1253 games.
Melbourne have played 2374 games in 118 seasons and only have one 300 gamer - that's 1 every 2374 games.
West Coast have played 729 games in 31 seasons and have no 300 gamers. Be patient.

Adelaide are quite extraordinary. They already have four 300 gamers from only 627 games over 27 seasons. That's 1 every 156 games.

Burning dwarfs shortens your career?

Typical mindless troll from a supporter group that's a little too sensitive.

Cousins alone could have easily made it to 300 had his career not melted down. Or are we blaming travel for his drug addiction too?

How is it a mindless troll?
I dont doubt that Cousins couldve and shouldve played 300. I actually agree with you.

There are many players in the AFL that shouldve and couldve played 300 but for certain reasons didnt. Stephen Milne for example.

How is it a mindless troll?
I dont doubt that Cousins couldve and shouldve played 300. I actually agree with you.

There are many players in the AFL that shouldve and couldve played 300 but for certain reasons didnt. Stephen Milne for example.
Christ, you can't help yourself with this "but your club" bullshit.

Milne, FWIW, played himself onto an AFL list from the rookie list and once established rarely missed a game. Given his age, his body and the state of our list he was never going to make 300 games.

Any other St Kilda players you want to take a shot at while agreeing with me? :rolleyes:

Christ, you can't help yourself with this "but your club" bullshit.

Milne, FWIW, played himself onto an AFL list from the rookie list and once established rarely missed a game. Given his age, his body and the state of our list he was never going to make 300 games.

Any other St Kilda players you want to take a shot at while agreeing with me? :rolleyes:

I beg to differ. He reached a total of 275 games in 2013. With the upcoming significant event approaching in 2014 he retires. Really good PR stuff right there.

That is 20 odd games he missed out on should he have played on.

He earlier got stood down for 4 games in 2013 when the case being re-opened.

Misses 3 games in 2004 due original investigation.

All up couldve been a 300 game player.

Look, there are many reason why individual players dont play as many games as they should. Travel is a big factor for players, particularly WA sides. However there are other reasons individual players such as Cousins and Milne dont make 300. As discussed.

:drunk:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can we move on from the WWE/AFL comparison silly :). I love a good RKO and pedigree but not relevant.

Given west coasts relative success (played in a lot of finals) and having no 300 gamers it would suggest theres some merit to the travel shortening careers.

yeah but those meatheads aren't real humans

No one's mentioned the possible positive of the players getting away from distractions and being able to bond and perhaps focus. The trips are short but include at least a day in preparation and a session at the destination. On longer trips this is well understood for Rugby and cricket teams.

Agree. While fair to mention being away from home can cause stress, equally being away from home can allow a better focus. I find myself that when traveling for work I am more singularly focused and it can actually be a good escape from realities of the household.

Can we move on from the WWE/AFL comparison silly :). I love a good RKO and pedigree but not relevant.

Given west coasts relative success (played in a lot of finals) and having no 300 gamers it would suggest theres some merit to the travel shortening careers.
So you say it has merit, then how did Pav get to 300, how come so many Brisbane players got to 300, why have some clubs who don't travel much, have no 300 gamers in the time WCE have been in the league, show us all this merit.

So you say it has merit, then how did Pav get to 300, how come so many Brisbane players got to 300, why have some clubs who don't travel much, have no 300 gamers in the time WCE have been in the league, show us all this merit.
Pav is almost proof, he is an anomaly. A freak athlete that would likely still be playing if he played for a Vic side.

Also have you flown to Perth much ? Brisbane isnt even a different time zone haha

Pav is almost proof, he is an anomaly. A freak athlete that would likely still be playing if he played for a Vic side.

Also have you flown to Perth much ? Brisbane isnt even a different time zone haha
You'll need something better if you want to use travel as an excuse you don't have any 300 gamers.
Brisbane is a great argument against.

Brisbane travel half what west coast and Freo travel.. sooo
1/2? don't make me laugh.
Freo travel the same and have a 300 gamer, but oh no, he is just a freak.
Maybe all 300 gamers are just freaks, and WCE have never had a freak play for them.
Maybe partying hard has something to do with it.

So lets take a guess.
What do you think would lessen your career the most, travel or partying a bit too hard?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back