The other aspects of travelling

Remove this Banner Ad

1/2? don't make me laugh.
Freo travel the same and have a 300 gamer, but oh no, he is just a freak.
Maybe all 300 gamers are just freaks, and WCE have never had a freak play for them.
Maybe partying hard has something to do with it.

So lets take a guess.
What do you think would lessen your career the most, travel or partying a bit too hard?
Screenshot_20171006-173151.png

Mate, this looks pretty close to half to me...

Also, are you trying to argue that west coast dont have any 300 gamers because they do more coke than the Melbournian players ? haha hilarious

View attachment 425304

Mate, this looks pretty close to half to me...

Also, are you trying to argue that west coast dont have any 300 gamers because they do more coke than the Melbournian players ? haha hilarious
Go get the distances they travelled their whole careers.
Hilarious is you think travel stops players from reaching 300 games, when Pav got to 350.
BWHahahaha

Go get the distances they travelled their whole careers.
Hilarious is you think travel stops players from reaching 300 games, when Pav got to 350.
BWHahahaha
Why would I do that? thats one seasons stats.. just multiply that by 10 if you wanna see over a career.

I am just confused by your argument.. all I am saying is its got to be way harder to get to 300 games as a WA based player than a Vic based one. Where is the confusion?

Tell me how Pav got to 350+?
By being a supreme athlete, an outlier. I am still confused about your argument? you're saying because one guy did it that means that its not harder for WA based players to do it?

You must not have travelled much bro haha

By being a supreme athlete, an outlier. I am still confused about your argument? you're saying because one guy did it that means that its not harder for WA based players to do it?

You must not have travelled much bro haha
So it's harder you say, the reason you put up is, you have none that have done it.

Melbourne have 1, 1 player.

I asked you a question earlier, you don't seem to want to answer, it could be the answer to this discussion.

What do you think would impact your career more, travel or partying a little too hard?

So it's harder you say, the reason you put up is, you have none that have done it.

Melbourne have 1, 1 player.

I asked you a question earlier, you don't seem to want to answer, it could be the answer to this discussion.

What do you think would impact your career more, travel or partying a little too hard?
Travel combined with partying hard, because all AFL players do

Not sure how 300 game players became the criteria to base this off of, it's such an arbitrarily set number. Individual players can be outliers to a trend anyway so it's a useless measure at determining the effect of travel. The best way would be to calculate the mean and median retirement age of players from the clubs in the last 20-25 years, though I'm far too lazy to go out of my way to do it.

Supporting evidence however is players who travelled a lot in their careers who say they think that it shortened their careers, and I'm sure Sam Mitchell and Drew Petrie had enough good footy left to go around next year but I reckon if you asked them they'd tell you the change in travel routine was a factor in retiring this year.

One of my sons played a season for Halls Creek. Every second weekend the team would travel by school bus to Wyndham (5 hours drive) to play on Saturday afternoon, camp the night on the oval then drive to Kununurra. Play another game on Sunday afternoon then do the 5 hour drive back to Halls Creek.

I think that things are a bit better organised now in the East Kimberley.

I think you have nailed the main points, in regards to the disruption of routine / sleep patterns.

I recall hearing somewhere that West Coast are yet to have a 300 game player? Not sure whether greater exposure to travel (for West Coast and Fremantle) has any bearing on player longevity.

Yup only one 300 gamer from either club and Pavlich was this perfectly weighted freak.

It's not a lack of finals either (well perhaps for freo... Sorry! Couldn't resist), WC rarely misses. It's a long flight, time difference, everything.

I lived in Sydney during my undergrad, only travelling twice a year and still dreaded it. Then again AFL clubs probably aren't flying Tiger and Jetstar red eyes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I couldn’t see either of these two mentioned.

1. Players would be more likely to head to the pub/roam the streets/hotel bar after a game. It’s straight up boring being in a hotel room after a while.

2. Those single players that have flings in other states or the d*cks that cheat will jam in time to see them when they travel.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back