VFL The other Port vs the Dogs

gordo2016

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2017
Footscray, Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Thought Port at home would be a very tough proposition and was hoping to scrape in. A 50 point win is sensational. Was not at the game but another 20 possession game from West would surely mean he should debut soon. Looking forward to seeing the son of a gun play at AFL level.

BRWB

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts The Cult of Robbo
Oct 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I'd want to see it a few more times at this level first.
Why? We have no one. Surely couldn't be worse than Bailey Dale.

And Cavarra is a proven dominant player at this level anyway. Don't get your thinking.

Cavarra is the type we are crying out for and is actually the only quick sm fwd on our list.

It's always been a case he gets fit, shows something in the VFL - HE PLAYS! Absolute no-brainer.

Last edited:

BRWB

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Always been a fan of sustained VFL form prior to an AFL call up, similar to Lippy.

Agree to disagree on this one.

Gardner experience tells me the MC disagrees with you and will priortise need over form. No greater need than a sm quick fwd IMO - only difference being that Cavarra has shown some form.

Aug 14, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Would be great to see Cavarra get a solid run in the seniors before year’s end.

Dickson is right near the end and Lloyd is 29 and may only have another year or two of strong form so we need to develop small forwards.

Give him a crack as soon as he’s fit enough to run out a game (that might be already).

Dec 21, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Agree to disagree on this one.

Gardner experience tells me the MC disagrees with you and will priortise need over form. No greater need than a sm quick fwd IMO
That's why I said 'I'd like to see'.
Not suggesting it's not a need or he won't play. I'd just want some more sustained form. There are many benefits, those two above are prime examples both ways.

Aug 14, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I'm beginning to think Gia could be a good, up and coming coach.
Noticed his name coming up in some articles about potential future senior coaches. He’s had a very solid apprenticeship and I think Bevo has done the right thing by the assistants rotating the vfl coach so they can all say they’ve coached their own side.

Not a great media performer but I’m sure he can improve that.

wian

Premiership Player
May 21, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
NZ Breakers / New York Knicks
Happy McLean came back with the right attitude and dominated. (he's too good for VFL) Glad Morris got through unscathed. Happy for Cavarra

Would love to see Sweet come in as a Ruckman to help English..

BRWB

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
That's why I said 'I'd like to see'.
Not suggesting it's not a need or he won't play. I'd just want some more sustained form. There are many benefits, those two above are prime examples both ways.
4 goals last week as a sm fwd

Last two yrs VFL Team of the Year.

Cavarra has nothing left to prove formwise in the VFL IMO.

Testekill

Don't look at me like that
Dec 3, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Bulldogs, Williamstown
11 Disp, 1 goal and 16 Tackles for Nash is not a bad day's work! Obviously loves the hard stuff in the wet.

Always been a player that loves the rough stuff out there, don't think he has a ceiling to even make an AFL list but he's a good solid VFL player that you'd love to have about.

BRWB

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I'm not suggesting he does. I just like a few weeks of sustained form. Hes just back from an injury so hasn't been able to do that.

So all things considered you wouldn't pick Cavarra next week?

weltschmerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 23, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

From Instagram, West's bulked up. (Dare I say guns of the West?)

Last edited:

Cold Sober

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Man U .White Sox;Storm,Victory
11 Disp, 1 goal and 16 Tackles for Nash is not a bad day's work! Obviously loves the hard stuff in the wet.
Clubs could do a lot worse than take a good look at this bloke, has the skills and looks to have a good footy brain.[ which is more than most ]

stefoid

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 8, 2002
home
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Grundy got 58 hit outs against English when we faced Collingwood earlier in the year.

Sweet has 60 today. I know it's a far lesser opponent and "only" VFL, but that is an incredible effort. Got a lazy 10 tackles to go with it, this guy is looking something special. Needs to find more of it, but his 12 touches today was still an improvement on his season average

Cool, but we all know unless he can do something other than get hitouts, he aint getting game. When he runs around the ground taking mark after mark, or becomes a credible deep forward - different story.

Nothing against sweet and I hope he kills it, but thats the reality under bev.

Back