Oppo Camp The Others: Round 5 Opposition Games

Remove this Banner Ad

It's a long wait for Pies fans until Wednesday's game. Some of us will alleviate the lull by heading down to Victoria Park tomorrow, and I reckon I'll do just that, but the fortunes of unfortunates such as Carlton will also form part of the interim entertainment.

There's bound to be some surprises in this week's round of games, and geez there'd better be because most of it looks pretty uninspiring at a glance.

Friday Night: Sydney v Adelaide
This game shaped up as a mini-blockbuster, once upon a time that wasn't so long ago but now seems like it. I find it hard to imagine Adelaide coming within 7 goals of the Swans: no Sloane, no Betts, and not a lot of hope.

Saturday
St Kilda v Giants
I confess to sometimes feeling sorry for Saints fans. It doesn't last long, and it isn't a deep despair, but there you go. Anyway, it seems that Saints are meant to suffer. There'll be some more of it this weekend.

Carlton v Eagles
I confess that I don't feel sorry for Carlton. At all. In any case, their suffering looks set to continue this weekend, with both Murphy and Kreuzer among their outs.

Port Adelaide v Geelong
These two teams are both tracking okay, but there's something unconvincing about them. I would like for Geelong to enjoy that winning feeling, right up until round 8 when we deliver them another reality check.

Fremantle v Bulldogs
Both of these mobs are nursing some illusion of improvement. One team will feel validated by the end of the night, the other will feel the dank embrace of reality.

Sunday
North Melbourne v Hawthorn
There's something very retro about the clash between these two teams; it always gives me flashbacks to the 1970s I was too young to really experience. Anyway, the Hawks will only be interested in delivering a flashback to 2013-2015 as they mercilessly dismantle the fragile hopes of the Kangas.

Brisbane v Gold Coast
Both teams have shown signs of improvement, and both teams have shown the regression which seems to be an inevitable part of long-term improvement. I've tipped Gold Coast, who knows?

Tuesday: Melbourne v Richmond
Richmond are the form team in the competition. Their best football is better than that of any other team, but that's an academic point for this round because the Demons aren't likely to force Richmond to find their highest gear.

13 scoring shots to 6

Game on

Condolences to the Yarran family.

Nice goal Tex!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder if the Crows have any excuses this week..........so far :drunk:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back