The Otherworldly Circus - The America Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Our system is a universal system that automatically applies to all citizens (Medicare card holders) - all of their "public option" systems require signing up to it, which adds layers of staff and bureaucracy to administer it.

I think Australia's Medicare system is outstanding, as is our private health system. On every metric it's top 5 in the world, yet it's still not good enough for you.

10 million people take out private health care policies in Australia - "ban" it, and add all of those 10 million ppl to the public system, and you have an overwhelmed system that can't cope and wait times become ridiculous.

Sanders' system where tens of millions of people *must* relinquish their existing private insurance by law, will not win a popular vote.

You may see it as the best possible system, but many intelligent people disagree.

That's a great point.

Do doctors and other medical professionals earn more money dealing with private patients? I assume they do which is a great incentive for them to be better and learn more raising the standards in Australia. And attracting them from overseas.

But read their posts , they support Trump because Biden is “ worse “
At what exactly ?
In what world is Biden or Harris worse than Trump ? His presidency is a train wreck .
I don't support Trump, I've never once said he's a better option.

I also don't have any issue with anyone supporting Biden because they see him as the lesser of two evils. But if you do that, you kind of have to accept that many with a different opinion view the "lesser of two evils" contest from the opposite angle and will vote Trump.

Many might see significant issues with someone with dementia becoming president.

They may see Biden's record on supporting wars under Bush, Clinton, Bush and Obama (vs Trump's record of no new war) as disqualifying.

On history of racism, there's dozens cases of Biden being a clear racist - if Trump made these exact same comments, many would be losing their minds over it.

These are not disqualifying for you, because, "..But Trump's so much worse". That's fine. You may very well be right, but you should be able to accept that some people disagree with you and simply can't or won't vote for Biden for a number of legitimate reasons.

Our system is a universal system that automatically applies to all citizens (Medicare card holders) - all of their "public option" systems require signing up to it, which adds layers of staff and bureaucracy to administer it.

I think Australia's Medicare system is outstanding, as is our private health system. On every metric it's top 5 in the world, yet it's still not good enough for you.

10 million people take out private health care policies in Australia - "ban" it, and add all of those 10 million ppl to the public system, and you have an overwhelmed system that can't cope and wait times become ridiculous.

Sanders' system where tens of millions of people *must* relinquish their existing private insurance by law, will not win a popular vote.

You may see it as the best possible system, but many intelligent people disagree.

‘Agree about Medicare, but can’t agree about private health insurance. Without massive government subsidy (private health insurance tax surcharge, private insurance rebate, premium capping for the elderly etc..)it would not exist in Australia at all.

If Americans actually had faith in government and collective health care, their lives would be massively improved. sanders and Warrens plan would address this very quickly.

Many might see significant issues with someone with dementia becoming president.

you should be able to accept that some people disagree with you and simply can't or won't vote for Biden for a number of legitimate reasons.
For goodness sake.

For goodness sake.
Again with this thinking that any reasonable criticisms/questions on Biden are conspiracy theories?

This is this week, days before a presidential election, and he can't remember who he's running against - his wife needs to whisper "Trump", "Trump" to him. Many media outlets have said it was because the interviewer was named George Lopez, but "four more years of George Lopez" doesn't make any more sense.

I could post dozens of these moments - forgetting Mitt Romney's name, confusing his wife for his sister.

This is a progressive left wing channel pointing out that Biden can't even remember Obama's name:

For the record, I think Trump is in cognitive decline as well, just not as severely.

Again with this thinking that any reasonable criticisms/questions on Biden are conspiracy theories?

This is this week, days before a presidential election, and he can't remember who he's running against - his wife needs to whisper "Trump", "Trump" to him. Many media outlets have said it was because the interviewer was named George Lopez, but "four more years of George Lopez" doesn't make any more sense.

I could post dozens of these moments - forgetting Mitt Romney's name, confusing his wife for his sister.

This is a progressive left wing channel pointing out that Biden can't even remember Obama's name:

For the record, I think Trump is in cognitive decline as well, just not as severely.
Again with the ‘I’m not a Trump supporter, but ...’

Just the lightest amount of research shows that Biden has a speech impediment and that the host of the show was named George and yet you choose to link that somehow to confusion with George Bush that would have no context in the conversation.

Again, the issue in the US is the pandemic.

LMFAO at people actually trying to defend Biden / Harris.

Harris was one of the least popular primary candidates (dropped out with 15 others still in the race) and her record as DA is horrendous.

Not even touching the tip of the iceberg, 'In 2010, a California Superior Court judge blistered Harris’ DA office for violating defendants’ rights by covering up detrimental information about a drug-lab technician. The judge concluded that prosecutors working under Harris had failed to fulfill their constitutional duty to tell defense attorneys information about prosecution witnesses that might challenge their credibility. The failure of Harris’ prosecutors led to the dismissal of more than 600 drug cases.'

In short, with regards to defendants rights, you couldn't be more of a campaigner if you tried, but hey, BLM.

Don't even get me started on Biden who's links to China and Ukraine completely fail the pub test, not to mention the demented old fella needs a shot of jubbie juice every day just to get up on stage.

We all know he won't last 12 months if he gets in and, if he doesn't go quietly, his own party will probably drop the 25 amendment on him.

According to donation data, and general support, they ARE the establishment candidates with wall street, the big banks, MSM, billionaires (yes, the 1%) and social media companies behind them by a factor of about 8 to 1.

Lol, Biden is backed by the richest white men in the world.
So much for being 'The resistance'.

Do you want me to start on Trump's achievements? Shall we start with the First Step Act (most of you will probably have to Google it because it wasn't mentioned on CNN).

Last edited:
As an side, pretty disappointed to see this thread on the main bulldog board.

This crap should be kept to the Society and Politics board.

I go to the footy every week with people from all points of the political spectrum and we don't care who one another votes for. We just love the dogs.

Not sure who thought this would be a good idea??

Just my speculation but those not living, or never have lived, in US don’t appreciate the level of divisiveness in the country right now. Good luck to the Trump supporters, keep ignoring the pandemic, keep believing it will be better that 500,000 people may die because you’re worried about Biden’s senility, and may you never have to experience actually living with him as a leader.

I go to the footy every week with people from all points of the political spectrum and we don't care who one another votes for. We just love the dogs.

I personally like it. I reckon I've posted on the Society and Politics board once in 20 years, to argue against the Iraq war - would bet I haven't visited it in the last 10 years.

But having a thread here, with the discussion limited to only Bulldog supporters feels pretty comfortable.

As long as there's no aggression/personal attacks, I think we can discuss these important topics as adults, and whoever doesn't want to get involved, or whoever may not even want to know what political leanings/thoughts other Bulldog fans have, can avoid the thread.

Think it's much better having a dedicated thread than discussion spilling into the footy threads.

Again with the ‘I’m not a Trump supporter, but ...’

Just the lightest amount of research shows that Biden has a speech impediment and that the host of the show was named George and yet you choose to link that somehow to confusion with George Bush that would have no context in the conversation.
What? "Just a little bit of research shows ... the host was named George"? - Did you read my post that you literally quoted, where I mentioned George Lopez as the host?

"Four more years of George Lopez" makes no sense.

Last week he mentioned Kamala's "wife"? Speech impediment too? Forgetting Obama's name? When trying to remember Romney, " you know, the mormon".

Someone who'll be 80 in a couple of years is in cognitive decline - it's not a massive call or assumption. If he wins next week, I bet that it will be the primary reason the Democrats themselves move to remove him.

I personally like it. I reckon I've posted on the Society and Politics board once in 20 years, to argue against the Iraq war - would bet I haven't visited it in the last 10 years.

But having a thread here, with the discussion limited to only Bulldog supporters feels pretty comfortable.

As long as there's no aggression/personal attacks, I think we can discuss these important topics as adults, and whoever doesn't want to get involved, or whoever may not even want to know what political leanings/thoughts other Bulldog fans have, can avoid the thread.

Think it's much better having a dedicated thread than discussion spilling into the footy threads.

What? "Just a little bit of research shows ... the host was named George"? - Did you read my post that you literally quoted, where I mentioned George Lopez as the host?

"Four more years of George Lopez" makes no sense.

Last week he mentioned Kamala's "wife"? Speech impediment too? Forgetting Obama's name? When trying to remember Romney, " you know, the mormon".

Someone who'll be 80 in a couple of years is in cognitive decline - it's not a massive call or assumption. If he wins next week, I bet that it will be the primary reason the Democrats themselves move to remove him.
Yes I saw you had noted it but I’m not going into a death spiral on this issue. Those who participated in that interview all publicly attested to him stumbling on the hosts name. He has a speech impediment.

There are countless examples of candidates of all ages making errors in comments (far more so by the President himself who struggles daily with words on a teleprompter). It was quite clear he just stumbled as he transitioned from ‘do you want four more years of... to asking George himself so you want four more years of ...”. That’s it.

You’re looking to explain something based on your own preconceptions despite the evidence - that is what chasing a conspiracy is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LMFAO at people actually trying to defend Biden / Harris.

According to donation data, and general support, they ARE the establishment candidates with wall street, the big banks, MSM, billionaires (yes, the 1%) and social media companies behind them by a factor of about 8 to 1.

Lol, Biden is backed by the richest white men in the world.
So much for being 'The resistance'.

Do you want me to start on Trump's achievements? Shall we start with the First Step Act (most of you will probably have to Google it because it wasn't mentioned on CNN).

Quite literally no one on the progressive side of politics thinks a establishment democrat like Biden is 'The resistance' so not sure what your point is there.

But again put Trump and Biden as people and there current policy platforms side by side and there's no contest.

Also the First Step Act is a small first step that goes nowhere near far enough to address to issues America has with mass incarceration, and by just throwing it out there as this great thing Trump did all by his lonesome completely ignores all context of how that bill came to pass.

"That the bill has advanced this far under the Trump Administration reflects the purchase criminal-justice reform has gained not only among Democrats but also among conservative Republicans. The bill’s list of supporters includes Ted Cruz and Kirsten Gillibrand, the Koch brothers and the American Civil Liberties Union. The significant buy-in from the right is the culmination of years of effort from a cadre of libertarian-leaning conservatives, like the anti-tax zealot Grover Norquist, and evangelicals, such as Chuck Colson, the founder of the Christian nonprofit organization Prison Fellowship, who have worked to convince others that the prison system has become too costly, punitive, and government-empowering. "

The Koch brothers are major backers of the bill and the conservative shift on criminal justice. Their company was prosecuted, in 2000, for hiding emissions of the carcinogen benzene at a Texas refinery from government regulators. (They settled.) In a 2016 piece for The New Yorker, Jane Mayer spoke with the Koch Industries general counsel Mark Holden, who described the prosecution as a “a huge overreach, a grave injustice” that had spurred the Kochs to action. “We were very skeptical, going forward, of criminal prosecutors having too much power,” he said. “So we got involved in criminal-justice reform.”

To suggest that this bill is one of the many (please list more) success stories of the Trump administration is completely missing the context of how the bill came into pass, and who is backing it and the fact that it had bipartisan support. Obama's administration could never of past this legislation as it would not of had Republican support at the time.

Also it completely ignores all the s**t Trump has said and done in support of violent police action, and his unwillingness to engage with the BLM movement.

In summary, Trump bad, stop pretending he's better than Biden for black communities (LOL)

Trump is the worst president in US history.

Looking forward to him being gone.

The swamp certainly needs to be drained. Which the GOP won’t do, as they need the gerrymandering and corruption in place to keep power.

I would back AOC for 2024. Biden is a single term president and Harris isn’t going to be a front runner.

Why are you on this thread ?
Half the threads on here I never visit because they don’t interest me , it’s not hard to not click on ?

I don't support Trump, I've never once said he's a better option.

I also don't have any issue with anyone supporting Biden because they see him as the lesser of two evils. But if you do that, you kind of have to accept that many with a different opinion view the "lesser of two evils" contest from the opposite angle and will vote Trump.

They may see Biden's record on supporting wars under Bush, Clinton, Bush and Obama (vs Trump's record of no new war) as disqualifying.

On history of racism, there's dozens cases of Biden being a clear racist - if Trump made these exact same comments, many would be losing their minds over it.

These are not disqualifying for you, because, "..But Trump's so much worse". That's fine. You may very well be right, but you should be able to accept that some people disagree with you and simply can't or won't vote for Biden for a number of legitimate reasons.

All I can say is look back at the lists and address what I forwarded in previous posts why a 10 yr old will be better than Trump.
But none of you will !
You don’t need to visit CNN to verify it. It’s bloody laughable you go straight back to Biden.
Like I said you are like clockwork.

Your happy to pick a criminal and would be dictator as the less of two evils —- good luck with your projects !

I hope you all watched the Tucker Carlson bs about the lost Hunter Biden docs —— ha ha !
Only a blithering idiot would fall for that one !

All I can say is look back at the lists and address what I forwarded in previous posts why a 10 yr old will be better than Trump.
But none of you will !
You don’t need to visit CNN to verify it. It’s bloody laughable you go straight back to Biden.
Like I said you are like clockwork.

Your happy to pick a criminal and would be dictator as the less of two evils —- good luck with your projects !

I hope you all watched the Tucker Carlson bs about the lost Hunter Biden docs —— ha ha !
Of course I go back to Biden, he's the alternative, and he has many flaws.

If there's someone that's "like clockwork" on this topic, it's you.

You are completely incapable of accepting how half a country thinks and will vote.

Watching Tucker earnestly huff and puff as he tried to spin the fact that after not being able to land on a coherent message strategy for what the emails were all about all but walk away from the Hunter Bidens "laptop from hell" was just an incredible display of disingenuous pantomime theatre in an effort to save face. It speaks volumes for his his cynical vacuousness and for that of his audience demographic that his ridiculously implausible conspiracy centred on using an conveniently unnamed courier company to transfer the smoking gun emails across the country in the age of digital electronic transfer. Convieniently for this implausibly confusing narrative to have a degree of plausibility (the FOX modus operandi) the files were being transferred by this means because Tuckers communications were being monitored thus the deep state knew exactly where the documents were located, enabling operatives to infiltrate the unnamed companies facilities and remove said documents. You'd think you couldn't make this s**t sandwich up but Tucker and his writers tried it on, knowing full well that the rubes who consume his fare will eat it up and s**t it out on social media. Thus the circle of life in the Fox world gets to sustain itself and is complete.

Which is why I expect Tucker to be a candidate for President in 2024

Last edited:
... how half a country thinks and will vote.
Absolutely.

A friend was telling me about reserach showing how people get locked into ways of thinking (over their whole lives, not just over a specific issue). This applies to all sorts of things, including political leanings. Hence at election time we see a rusted-on vote of about 35% Labor, 35% Liberal with another 15-20% also fairly committed to one side or the other but sometimes straying into third parties (eg Greens, Palmer, One Nation, etc) or independents. This leaves only about 10-15% of the population who are genuinely swinging or seducible voters.

The same no doubt applies in the USA. Popular support for Trump hasn't dipped below 41% in spite of everything he has done to disqualify himself. I'm sure it'd be the same if he was a Democrat not a Republican. Or if it was Biden.

What intrigues me is that despite our (mostly) friendly jousting on the politics here we are likewise fairly impervious to persuasion to an opposite view by facts and logic, no matter how reasonable we think ourselves to be. It's partly because we are locked into a pattern of thinking and a system of beliefs over a period of decades. (There are other factors of course, but they're too complex to discuss in a brief post here.)

Of course I go back to Biden, he's the alternative, and he has many flaws.

If there's someone that's "like clockwork" on this topic, it's you.

You are completely incapable of accepting how half a country thinks and will vote.

Ha Ha tic tock , at least I have the balls to state my position clearly.
This wishy washy defense of Trump with oh Biden‘s worse I find pathetic.

What exactly is Trumps flaws do you think , I have asked many times ——- crickets !

Two errors.

Firstly, the poster you’re replying to is making exactly the right point that Trump is so incompetent and negligent on the singular issue of the pandemic (again - and I can’t stress this enough - this is the critical issue not Gabbard or some 40 year old criticisms of Biden which don’t even get a run on Fox) that the only person happy he was president is James Buchanan and whatever criticisms you do have of Biden are for all practical purposes irrelevant.

Secondly it’s not half the population. He lost the popular vote and of those eligible only 60% voted. The irony is the less people that vote the more likely he is to succeed and that’s precisely his strategy. It’s not even close to half of what the country thinks.

It's crazy to me that the American political system is currently incapable of producing a single viable presidential candidate.
Criminal businessmen, senile old men. Insanity
I was curious to see what Bernie may have ended up like, had they given him the nomination. Has some more "extreme" left wing views that wouldn't sit well with more centrist and conservative types (free college for example) but still seemed a more reasonable, intelligent and stable person than Biden or Trump.

I feel some of those more far left views would've been pushed aside much like Trump's wall, and the US would've ended up with a president who cares about future generations and doesn't bow down to religious nutjobs like most US politicians do, to the detriment of their country

Remove this Banner Ad

Back