FTA-TV The Outsider

Remove this Banner Ad

The first two episodes just dropped on Foxtel tonight.

It’s written by Stephen King and is directed by and stars Jason Bateman.

Very intriguing so far and has me invested. Ben Mendelsohn is excellent as always as the weary cop.

I've only watched the first episode because it we started it WAAAAAY too late at night to watch the second episode as well. One of the best premieres I've seen in a long, long time. I think what made it particularly memorable was how it shows you who the supposed murderer is right from the get-go. But then, of course, maybe it didn't? The way it was all edited together - swapping between the day of the murder/following days of investigation and then the day of the arrest - was done really well and added to the sense of chaos and confusion that all the characters were feeling as well.

I'm loath to ask too many questions yet, because I'm sure a lot of them will be touched on in ep 2 and I don't want to spoil it for myself.

But for anyone NOT on it yet, get on it NOW!

First two episodes were very captivating, am intrigued to see where this leads. Mendelsohn excellent as usual, and those gunshot wounds were pretty brutal.

It’s obviously filmed in a lower definition but found some of the low light scenes hard to watch because of this.

Wow - that second episode was even better than the first, I think. Massive move killing off who I though was going to be a lead character so early on! And how brutally horrible that pretty much that whole family has just disappeared from existence now. The slow, methodical way that he was ripping and tying the bedsheets together was absolutely haunting. Damn, Steven King is messed up!!!

So does anyone have any idea what the hell is going on?

Wow - that second episode was even better than the first, I think. Massive move killing off who I though was going to be a lead character so early on! And how brutally horrible that pretty much that whole family has just disappeared from existence now. The slow, methodical way that he was ripping and tying the bedsheets together was absolutely haunting. Damn, Steven King is messed up!!!

So does anyone have any idea what the hell is going on?
Not really but I'm guessing:

Some sort of shapeshifter is involved (the guy lurking with the hoodie). Seems it got blood from the coach in that cut he got when visiting his father in the nursing home. Btw, this is just a guess - i have not read the books or anything.

Not really but I'm guessing:

Some sort of shapeshifter is involved (the guy lurking with the hoodie). Seems it got blood from the coach in that cut he got when visiting his father in the nursing home. Btw, this is just a guess - i have not read the books or anything.
Do we need spoiler tags?

Yeah, there is something definitely going on with the guy in the hoodie. I at first thought he was the one who was shooting at the courthouse. What I'm wondering is why he has been at every key moment. Why would he be there when the father tried to commit suicide? And presumably he's the one the kid has been seeing in her nightmares too, right?

Bloody creepy show.

What I like though is that the small-town relationships and investigation feels really real, but then the supernatural stuff just adds an extra layer without taking away from that realness.

Ahh I need to see this. I’d watch Mendelsohn read the phone book.
Agreed. He's a brilliant actor. The Year My Voice Broke is one of my favourite films as a young teen. The Big Steal, Idiotbox, Spotswood, Animal Kingdom(incredible), and a long list of other films.

He's had a busy career and deservedly so.

Will probably watch this tonight.

Do we need spoiler tags?

Yeah, there is something definitely going on with the guy in the hoodie. I at first thought he was the one who was shooting at the courthouse. What I'm wondering is why he has been at every key moment. Why would he be there when the father tried to commit suicide? And presumably he's the one the kid has been seeing in her nightmares too, right?

Bloody creepy show.

What I like though is that the small-town relationships and investigation feels really real, but then the supernatural stuff just adds an extra layer without taking away from that realness.
Good questions, I guess we will find out. Yeah, i expect that the hooded man is the same guy that the daughter keeps seeing. He leaves some sort of liquid behind, that they showed on the floor after the last "nightmare".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So the implication is that this thing can change shapes AND infect people? There's a lot going on here, but I'm really loving it!
It seems so and
I reckon he's shifting shape into the strip club dude

Enjoying it so far. Many questions that need answering.

It’s been good so far but I fear this is where these King type stories drop off a cliff
I'm not sure I've seen any other Stephen King TV adaptations, but it definitely feels like it could go one of two very different directions. I guess that's the trouble with having supernatural layers to these kinds of stories, as it could make it too fantastical to believe the "realness" of the crime/detective side of the show. But 3 episodes in, it's been fantastic so I'm happy just to stay on the ride!

Pulling a shiv out our your leg seems fun

A really interesting scene that one. Why bother doing that then not using it when you need to. My theory, it was involved in the murder of the twins and is a key piece of evidence in solving both the twins murder case and assisting with the recent 11yo boy one. Interestingly enough, the characters seem to be using books to leave clues in, hence my book motif title. Terry used the book at the conference to leave a clue, whether it be his fingerprints or another yet undiscovered one remains to be seen. Terry looked like he made a last minute decision to leave the group and pick up the book and return to the conference post haste.

Also, the gentlemen that went to stab the 'girl killer' was a recent addition to the prison. We're introduced to the 'addition' when we meet this smaller character as the camera tracks him being brought in before we get a shot from inside the girl killer's cell and meet our new character.

My theory on this is that the new prison innmate is a shapeshifter planted to kill the 'girl killer' to stop him speaking out in presumable innocence and linking the two incidents in time ...

A really interesting scene that one. Why bother doing that then not using it when you need to. My theory, it was involved in the murder of the twins and is a key piece of evidence in solving both the twins murder case and assisting with the recent 11yo boy one. Interestingly enough, the characters seem to be using books to leave clues in, hence my book motif title. Terry used the book at the conference to leave a clue, whether it be his fingerprints or another yet undiscovered one remains to be seen. Terry looked like he made a last minute decision to leave the group and pick up the book and return to the conference post haste.

Also, the gentlemen that went to stab the 'girl killer' was a recent addition to the prison. We're introduced to the 'addition' when we meet this smaller character as the camera tracks him being brought in before we get a shot from inside the girl killer's cell and meet our new character.

My theory on this is that the new prison innmate is a shapeshifter planted to kill the 'girl killer' to stop him speaking out in presumable innocence and linking the two incidents in time ...
That's an interesting theory, but I'm not sure it makes much sense. Surely it makes more sense that he was just someone that was going to kill a "child killer" on behalf of everyone else in the prison, including the guards. The earlier scene with Terry in the holding cell sets it up that anyone in prison for that is going to be a target.

I do like your point about the books being a bit of a motif. I tried googling the book the "child killer" was reading, but couldn't find anything about it. Have there been any other books besides the 3 you mentioned?

I do like your point about the books being a bit of a motif. I tried googling the book the "child killer" was reading, but couldn't find anything about it. Have there been any other books besides the 3 you mentioned?
Someone on Reddit posted that the book is about the infiltration of Isis in the US.

That's an interesting theory, but I'm not sure it makes much sense. Surely it makes more sense that he was just someone that was going to kill a "child killer" on behalf of everyone else in the prison, including the guards. The earlier scene with Terry in the holding cell sets it up that anyone in prison for that is going to be a target.

The book the child killer/hospital worker was reading was 'Lost in the Maze'

At the conference, the book that Terry questioned the panel over, Slaughterhouse 5, is a war story with time shifts & alien encounters.

Not sure what the book in the gift shop was though or why it caught Terry's eye.

Haha, watched the shiv scene at night. Thought it was the nurse pulling it out of his leg & not the new inmate.

Definitely screws that theory and ruins my book motif :)

The book the child killer/hospital worker was reading was 'Lost in the Maze'

At the conference, the book that Terry questioned the panel over, Slaughterhouse 5, is a war story with time shifts & alien encounters.

Not sure what the book in the gift shop was though or why it caught Terry's eye.
Yeah, I saw that one, but the cover looked different so I ruled it out. Not sure why.

And I'm a big fan of Vonnegut, but didn't enjoy Slaughterhouse Five as much as his other books.

Do we know what book the prisoner put the shiv back into?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back