The Outsiders (S. E. Hinton)

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 6, 2005
Hawthorn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
One of my favourite books ever, first read it as a 13 year-old and have loved it ever since. I have read it so many times but never tire of it.

Any thoughts?

Great book :thumbsu: Especially considering she was 16 at the time she wrote it.

The movie sucked though.

OldSchool said:
It's been a long time since I read that book but I did enjoy it.
All the different characters blended in well.

The movie was nothing short of a disaster though. A fairly decent cast for those parts but it was a butchered storyline.

Matt Dillon , Ralph Macchio, Patrick Swayze, Rob Lowe, Emilio Eztevez, Tom Cruise and Diane Lane, not a bad lineup.

Directed by Francis Ford Coppola you'd expect a lot better.

I've not read any of the books by S.E Hinton (though I should) but I agree that the outsiders wasn't the greatest film. Unlike Rumblefish which is one of my favourite films of all time. Thats also got a great line up with Matt Dillon, Mikey Rourke, Dennis Hopper, Diane Lane & Nicolas cage. Apparently S.E Hinton wrote the screenplay for Rumblefish as well , but wasn't involved with the outsiders screenplay so maybe that had something to do with the difference in quality.

The Outsiders is one of my favourite books of all time, Anyone read 'That Was Then, This Is Now' also by S.E Hinton? Not a sequel but some of the characters such as Ponyboy and the Shepards are in it.
Haven't seen The Outsiders movie but from the sounds of it doesn't seem like its worth it.

Vandal said:
The Outsiders is one of my favourite books of all time, Anyone read 'That Was Then, This Is Now' also by S.E Hinton? Not a sequel but some of the characters such as Ponyboy and the Shepards are in it.
Haven't seen The Outsiders movie but from the sounds of it doesn't seem like its worth it.
"That Was Then, This Is Now" is also great...I actually read that before The Outsiders.

In regards to Francis Ford Coppola, a school class was actually responsible for FFC making The Outsiders. A class voted Coppola the director they would most like to see direct a film of the book. The school sent a letter and a copy of the book to Coppola. Coppola read the book and the letter. He was so moved, he directed both The Outsiders and Rumble Fish.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back