The Oxygen Brothers

Remove this Banner Ad

windows1

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Just for you Eskie.....

In my view we have two competitive advantages: our key position players.....and the Oxygen Brothers.

I’ve studied the running times of our boys preseason and compared them to those (available) of other clubs. We have a larger number of guys who can really gut run than other clubs. They are not electric quick, but they can just repeat run over and over again.

The offical Oxygen Brothers are:

- Ed Curnow (Captain)
- Michael Gibbons (Vice Captain because he knocked Ed off in a preseason run)
- Sam Walsh
- Lochie O’Brien

All four can run 2km in 6 mins. I don’t know of any other club who has a midfield capable of that running quality. Murph isn’t in the middle distance running class of the above but he gets an Honourable membership this year. His preseason was the best I’ve seen in years and he really does help our link up play with his hard running.

Cottrell btw will be a member if he can break into the side next year - he’s also a sub 6 min for 2km runner. Technically Charlie is as good a runner as the offical brothers but he doesn’t join link up play nor play mid so I never gave him a membership.

The Oxygen Brothers are why as games open up our link up play cuts teams open. They just can’t go with our guys.

Enjoy them as I do. I look for them to create chains especially in the second half. Throw a surgical Fisher (not a member but puts polish on their work) into their chain and it makes a mess of opposing backlines.

Sector 7G

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Just for you Eskie.....

In my view we have two competitive advantages: our key position players.....and the Oxygen Brothers.

I’ve studied the running times of our boys preseason and compared them to those (available) of other clubs. We have a larger number of guys who can really gut run than other clubs. They are not electric quick, but they can just repeat run over and over again.

The offical Oxygen Brothers are:

- Ed Curnow (Captain)
- Michael Gibbons (Vice Captain because he knocked Ed off in a preseason run)
- Sam Walsh
- Lochie O’Brien

All four can run 2km in 6 mins. I don’t know of any other club who has a midfield capable of that running quality. Murph isn’t in the middle distance running class of the above but he gets an Honourable membership this year. His preseason was the best I’ve seen in years and he really does help our link up play with his hard running.

Cottrell btw will be a member if he can break into the side next year - he’s also a sub 6 min for 2km runner. Technically Charlie is as good a runner as the offical brothers but he doesn’t join link up play nor play mid so I never gave him a membership.

The Oxygen Brothers are why as games open up our link up play cuts teams open. They just can’t go with our guys.

Enjoy them as I do. I look for them to create chains especially in the second half. Throw a surgical Fisher (not a member but puts polish on their work) into their chain and it makes a mess of opposing backlines.
Don't forget
Charlie
Willo

edit see you talked about Charlie

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bobmonkey

Club Legend
Oct 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Dallas Mavericks
What Gibbons is doing with half an AFL pre-season is fantastic.

Ran 600m more than any other player yesterday.

Sign the man up.
We got so lucky with Gibbons, it makes you wonder why it took this long for him to get a chance!

What you see is what you get, and what you get is effort, effort, effort!

Bravo to all the Oxygen Brothers. Sure, nature plays a part but IMO not as much as effort, grit and guts.

Special mention to Walsh and O'Brien. This is not traditionally a contest for the kids, but they're certified prodigies.

I feel we trailed the league in the oxygen stakes for a decade. Particularly as the game got increasingly aerobic.

All of a sudden, we've gone from zero to h2o.

Very nice. I like.

spry

Club Legend
Feb 23, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
7f5328d2221ecfabe5e6c01d346a9660.jpg

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back