Opinion The Paul Roos legacy

Remove this Banner Ad

I absolutely loved him as a player from his debut on a wing for the old RoyBoys to his last game with us.

As a coach he is a legend. Thoughtful and strategic he also got the best out of players.

As a coach he had an acute sense of his own shelf life. Twice he walked away from coaching in recognition.

There are now five coaches who are directly influenced by the Roosy/Bloods legacy.

Of course the current five - Lyon, Longmire, Dew, Shaw and Goodwin tread their own path. Ñonetheless each carries some of the Roos/Bloods legacy.

People rattle on about Clarkos legacy as a mentor of other coaches, but I think our bloke's legacy is underrated.

Fantastic player and coach and I love his opinions. A true footballing brain. Ironic that soon after he leaves his coaching posts, clubs have ‘breakout’ years. Is it also ironic that when he’s long departed that they go backward?

Roos had something Longmire doesn't, an ability to realise when he is done and can't get more out of a list. Roos did that in 2009, realising the team would be better off with another coach. Longmire would never realise that, it would never even occur to him.

look they both coached for the mid 2000s era, just a shame only one of them was in that era coaching

Remove this Banner Ad

Back