Opinion The PB's - a celebration of 150 years. This year or later?

Should we wear the Bars this year or wait until we play in front of a home crowd?

• I want the bars now! Crowd doesn't matter.

Votes: 58 85.3%
  • We should wait. The bars need to be celebrated properly.

Votes: 10 14.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Founded in 1862 Notts County is the oldest football association club in the world, and guess what? their home strip from that time to the present is black and white vertical stripes. Back in 1903 an Italian was in England and saw that shirt and when he got back to Turin he convinced everyone that black and white was the way to go for Juventus - Juve had been founded in 1897.
Sadly Notts County are now languishing in the 5th tier of English league football.
So I don’t think Eddie can say that Collingwood can have a copyright on black & white. It’s all bluff!

Collingwood do have copyright on behaving like dickbrains though.

McGuire said that Collingwood would be presenting a counter presentation to Port Adelaide's bid in due course. "Steele Sidebottom, Dayne Beams and Jordan De Goey will form the backbone of our presentation" said McGuire. "We'll also have Heretier Lumumba join in on Zoom".

When asked if Dane Swan, Heath Shaw and Alan Didak would help by giving character references on behalf of the club McGuire added "Not likely, they're all drunk Haw Haw. Boys will be boys. But I'm still proud of them".

View attachment 913073

Don't forget the white supremacist who is presiding over the club.

Part of me thinks that the best thing to happen is that the AFL bows to Eddie's pressure and denies our request.

That would give us, the club and the supporters, the opportunity to take the gloves off and ramp up our push to wear the bars full-time.

No ambiguity, no thin end of the wedge concerns just a full on, no holds barred, campaign for our right to wear a significant guernsey from our long and unrivalled history when and where we choose.

My firm belief is that the fight is more important than the result.

The fight is what will galvanise us.
The fight is what will strengthen us.
The fight is what will build on the already intimidating mythology of the guernsey.

We.
Will.
Never.
Give.
Up.
The.
Bars.

It's the perfect brand strategy for our club right now.

We exist to win premierships.
We exist to win the fight for our identity.
We exist to do honour to our most recognisable guernsey by never giving up.
We are Port Adelaide.

Part of me thinks that the best thing to happen is that the AFL bows to Eddie's pressure and denies our request.

That would give us, the club and the supporters, the opportunity to take the gloves off and ramp up our push to wear the bars full-time.

No ambiguity, no thin end of the wedge concerns just a full on, no holds barred, campaign for our right to wear a significant guernsey from our long and unrivalled history when and where we choose.

My firm belief is that the fight is more important than the result.

The fight is what will galvanise us.
The fight is what will strengthen us.
The fight is what will build on the already intimidating mythology of the guernsey.

We.
Will.
Never.
Give.
Up.
The.
Bars.

It's the perfect brand strategy for our club right now.

We exist to win premierships.
We exist to win the fight for our identity.
We exist to do honour to our most recognisable guernsey by never giving up.
We are Port Adelaide.

Agree, we can't really lose here. Even if we lose (assuming the club deal with the denial correctly), we win. We'll ultimately overcome this hurdle, the positive support from around the league around the showdown proves that. We have an undeniable case and popular support against the least popular man in the league.

I'm still trying to work out what the problem is with Ed. Udinese and Juventus play in Serie A and both have black and white vertical stripes as their home kit. To me it looks way more similar than the PB's to Collingwood's.

Note: Although Juve have gone half black half white this season

It would be easier to distinguish the difference between us and Collingwood if Collingwood respected and cherished their traditions as much as we do at Port.

The white on black used by Collingwood currently is only a relatively recent change. Traditionally they were black on white and seemed to be a lot more white based gurnsey than black.

I can understand why tradition and history aren’t respected by Eddie.

We're in the box seat here. Eddie is wildly unpopular and putting out fires all over the place. Push hard, our case is undeniable.
If Collingwood were prepared to allow prison bars every heritage round (when this was an annual event) how can they run the current ”never again” line with a straight face.

Wouldnt it be good if indigenous leaders asked Collingwood to remove black from their jumper given that club’s poor record with racism.

If Collingwood were prepared to allow prison bars every heritage round (when this was an annual event) how can they run the current ”never again” line with a straight face.

This is the loophole the club is trying to exploit. They (Collingwood) entered into that agreement likely knowing that there would be no further heritage rounds. We're defining Showdowns as reflective of our 'heritage' and using that agreement to leverage the AFL to allow it.

The agreement is in place. Showdowns are clearly a representation of SA football heritage.
AFL needs to play their card.

As I said in an earlier post, my gut feel is that a no from AFL right now is the best thing long term for Port.

It would be easier to distinguish the difference between us and Collingwood if Collingwood respected and cherished their traditions as much as we do at Port.

The white on black used by Collingwood currently is only a relatively recent change. Traditionally they were black on white and seemed to be a lot more white based gurnsey than black.

I can understand why tradition and history aren’t respected by Eddie.

i mean yeah if we put some real brains into this we'd make it known that they changed their jumper in 2002? or whatever to make it 'white on dark' instead of mostly white, angle it as "if Collingwood change back to their traditional jumper it won't clash with the prison bars, tradition works for both sides" blah blah blah, many ways to deliver it

i mean yeah if we put some real brains into this we'd make it known that they changed their jumper in 2002? or whatever to make it 'white on dark' instead of mostly white, angle it as "if Collingwood change back to their traditional jumper it won't clash with the prison bars, tradition works for both sides" blah blah blah, many ways to deliver it

Yep. Great point.
Push this aspect to Richo, before we present our final case to the AFL.

Back