Opinion The PB's - a celebration of 150 years. This year or later?

Should we wear the Bars this year or wait until we play in front of a home crowd?

• I want the bars now! Crowd doesn't matter.

Votes: 58 85.3%
  • We should wait. The bars need to be celebrated properly.

Votes: 10 14.7%

• Total voters

Duckimus Prime

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I mean, we already had Sheedy come out in support of them and he has some pull. I guess he kind of has to support the bars seeing as he invented them along with ANZAC day and Indigenous Australians.
Just imagine if he had gotten his yellow and black Tigers version of the PBs up...

Although really yellow and black stripes is appropriate for a Tigers team.

Dec 20, 2015
South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Magpies!
Jul 1, 2014
Adelaide, Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Lakers, Ducks, Yankees
This is unreal.

Is common sense prevailing?

I would argue that this sentiment has always been there. It's just that the club has never actively gone out of their way to get these prominent people to voice their opinion on the record about it, in large part because our club hadn't a clue how we wanted to go about the how prison bar issue in the first place.

The only person ever actively shouting down to it in the last 20 years has been Eddie. I'm sure Robert Walls has also had something to say, but you could never please that prick to begin with.

It's just that the club has never actively gone out of their way to get these prominent people to voice their opinion on the record about it, in large part because our club hadn't a clue how we wanted to go about the how prison bar issue in the first place.

One thing I do know is that the club has been working towards our 150th year as a key part of the PB strategy. They haven't pushed as hard prior to this because this year was the year that the messaging had a point and a strong argument for us wearing it beyond a single game.

These video interviews are excellent. Well produced and beautifully targeted.

One thing I do know is that the club has been working towards our 150th year as a key part of the PB strategy. They haven't pushed as hard prior to this because this year was the year that the messaging had a point and a strong argument for us wearing it beyond a single game.

These video interviews are excellent. Well produced and beautifully targeted.

The club has really had a good few weeks.

Showdown loss incoming.

Oct 7, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Are there other teams?
These videos represent a definite push by the club to wear the PBs more often. It’s fantastic and I wish there were more we could do to push the case like have 20,000-30,0000 PBs appear at the ground Saturday night. A prison bar march to Adelaide Oval (everyone participating proudly wearing the bars) would be magnificent.

Perhaps later in the year, when crowds return, a march could be organised and coordinated with the club making a pitch to the AFL to have the bars as our home guernsey. Film the march, interview the marchers about what the top means to them and couple that with these excellent videos. Top them all off with Nathan Buckley saying what The Bars mean to him and we’ve done our very best to push the case.

These videos represent a definite push by the club to wear the PBs more often. It’s fantastic and I wish there were more we could do to push the case like have 20,000-30,0000 PBs appear at the ground Saturday night. A prison bar march to Adelaide Oval (everyone participating proudly wearing the bars) would be magnificent.

Perhaps later in the year, when crowds return, a march could be organised and coordinated with the club making a pitch to the AFL to have the bars as our home guernsey. Film the march, interview the marchers about what the top means to them and couple that with these excellent videos. Top them all off with Nathan Buckley saying what The Bars mean to him and we’ve done our very best to push the case.
We did that last year, and it went pretty well considering it wasn't club led.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
So proud of the club and especially proud of the #bringbackthebars campaign. We've provided the momentum with all the work put in, and the club have picked up the ball and run hard with it. This video campaign with very prominent and respected figures has been enormous and undeniable.

Last edited:
Are these videos appearing on the AFL website though, or just ours?
Just ours. Its giving MG some value for their sponsorship. It probably will be in the longer doco that was supposed to be finished for and released at October's Adelaide Film Festival.

People should be posting the videos in the main board thread.
Good idea. I posted the video of Denis in that thread on the main board. Will go check the 20 pages again and see what is in there and add what isn't.

Back