The Pelican Brief: Your one stop shop for everything NOLA

Remove this Banner Ad

So has Jimmer played himself into some playing time at the start of the season? I think he's earned 10-15 minutes a game, he'd fit well next to Reke once he's back.

So, how do we like the new alternate jersey (I like 'em)? Also, do we read anything into Eric Gordon being used to model said uniform at the release?

Screen_Shot_2014-09-23_at_2.49.56_PM.0.png

There is far too much red in the NBA. I would have preferred to see the Pels go all out and adopt a mostly gold design.

There is far too much red in the NBA. I would have preferred to see the Pels go all out and adopt a mostly gold design.

There were some black and gold fan mock ups floating around a while ago, maybe on Pelicans Forum, that looked awesome but I remember reading Benson not wanting them to look too similar to the Saints colours for some geriatric reason.

So has Jimmer played himself into some playing time at the start of the season? I think he's earned 10-15 minutes a game, he'd fit well next to Reke once he's back.

It's hard to tell with Monty.

At the moment we've got Jrue, Reke and the heartless wonder eating the lion's share of minutes at positions 1-3.

Beyond that, we have an assortment of ragtag pieces - Rivers, Jimmer, Russ Smith, Salmons, Darius Miller, Luke Babbitt...

Now if Ryno's on the court, then we probably want D - so either Rivers, Smith or maybe Salmons. However if Reke is on the court then we want all the shooting we can get... so possible Jimmertime there.

I wonder how much time Reke and Asik will spend on court together? Coz Jimmer's a natural to round out that line-up.

There were some black and gold fan mock ups floating around a while ago, maybe on Pelicans Forum, that looked awesome but I remember reading Benson not wanting them to look too similar to the Saints colours for some geriatric reason.

That reason actually makes a lot of sense. But then again there is looking like the Saints and looking like the Hawks :drunk:

That reason actually makes a lot of sense. But then again there is looking like the Saints and looking like the Hawks :drunk:
I know.

No other team in the league has block and gold so we could have made it our own. Plus it looks super cool.

OK, I've tried to hold fire here because I don't want to be one of those fans, however...

Is it time to crack each other's heads open and feast on the goo inside? Today's loss to a mediocre team missing their best player was all too predictable, and nothing points to us being anything other than a .500 team.

Thoughts?

OK, I've tried to hold fire here because I don't want to be one of those fans, however...

Is it time to crack each other's heads open and feast on the goo inside? Today's loss to a mediocre team missing their best player was all too predictable, and nothing points to us being anything other than a .500 team.

Thoughts?
Yet give us a healthy Thunder or Rockets no problem.

Monty surely is really under fire right now

Thoughts?

I know Monty comes in for stick, but that's a pretty mediocre bench in a deep conference. I had you guys winning 35 or so.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know Monty comes in for stick, but that's a pretty mediocre bench in a deep conference. I had you guys winning 35 or so.
It's not just Monty, he is coaching the team Dell gave him. Both are very much under fire. The bench is junk, Ryno at 6th man is great. But the rest are playing 2 spots at least up the bench than they should be. And Luke Babbit starting.... Do not get me started

It's not just Monty, he is coaching the team Dell gave him. Both are very much under fire. The bench is junk, Ryno at 6th man is great. But the rest are playing 2 spots at least up the bench than they should be. And Luke Babbit starting.... Do not get me started
Whats your cap situation like? Any money to fill some holes at the end of the year?

We need a proper playmaker off the bench who can run an offence, not just a crappy combo guard like Rivers.
Fredette after the couple of games against the Suns and the Rockets could be an x-factor, but again he isn't a playmaker.
We had it for a couple of games when we signed Mekel, it's just that he cannot shoot to save his life that he wasn't worth it.

Babbitt's not too bad as a starter, he has a role to space the floor (if we actually gave him more looks, he only shoots 8 3pt per 100 possessions on the floor this season) and remember apart from Kyle Korver he's the best 3pt shooter in the competition.

Whats your cap situation like? Any money to fill some holes at the end of the year?
Gordon has a player option that he is 99.99% going to take, and we have to re-sign Asik who is probably going to get a small raise. But we're obviously saving for Davis' max deal in two years time so Gordon's money will go straight to him.

Gordon has a player option that he is 99.99% going to take, and we have to re-sign Asik who is probably going to get a small raise. But we're obviously saving for Davis' max deal in two years time so Gordon's money will go straight to him.
A small raise?? He's getting paid $15 mill!

Yet give us a healthy Thunder or Rockets no problem.

Monty surely is really under fire right now

Yeah, this is it in a nutshell - the inconsistency.

I know we're a 'young' team, but Reke, Jrue, Ryno & Asik are all in their primes now, they're being paid like vets, not rookies.

It just feels like there's this hurdle that we keep coming to and can never jump. Immensely frustrating.

You're right about our bench, but it's our defence and late-game execution that worries me, along with our inconsistency.

A team with Jrue Holiday, Omer Asik and Anthony Davis should not be among the league's worst defensively, yet we are.

Lack of depth is an acceptable excuse for losing to the Spurs and Dubs of the league, but when we're losing to the injury stricken Pacers & Hornets it's a tougher pill to swallow.

For both the money and resources (three first round picks!) invested in this team, management would surely have a higher goal than 35 or even 40 wins?

You're right about our bench, but it's our defence and late-game execution that worries me, along with our inconsistency.

A team with Jrue Holiday, Omer Asik and Anthony Davis should not be among the league's worst defensively, yet we are.

Lack of depth is an acceptable excuse for losing to the Spurs and Dubs of the league, but when we're losing to the injury stricken Pacers & Hornets it's a tougher pill to swallow.

For both the money and resources (three first round picks!) invested in this team, management would surely have a higher goal than 35 or even 40 wins?
Yep, there's no reason why our defence should be in the worst 20 in the league, it should be somewhere at the very least in the teens with one of the best on-ball/iso defenders in Jrue Holiday (he conceded the least points per ISO possession for guards/wings in the entire league last season), Asik who can anchor a defence and Davis, well, Davis. Our offence despite crappy late performances has actually be above par and expected all season, ranked in the top 10.

I'd give my left nut for a 35 win team now. If you were still in the East, you'd be on track.

You've got a quality PG and a guy who will shortly be the best player in the league. Asik is the rim protector a number of teams are looking for so you either go with him or move him for something else. You need one more wing threat and a couple of bench players not named Luke Babbitt.

I'd give my left nut for a 35 win team now. If you were still in the East, you'd be on track.

You've got a quality PG and a guy who will shortly be the best player in the league. Asik is the rim protector a number of teams are looking for so you either go with him or move him for something else. You need one more wing threat and a couple of bench players not named Luke Babbitt.
We have to move Asik pre deadline. Surely we do and concede the year. But what is his value on an expiring?

We have to move Asik pre deadline. Surely we do and concede the year. But what is his value on an expiring?

I think Asik has value as a player so long as you have his Bird rights. If you can get two protected firsts for Mozgov FFS....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back