The Pelican Brief: Your one stop shop for everything NOLA

Remove this Banner Ad

We traded two firsts to get him while medical problem went undisclosed (gee that $3 million cash settlement sure helped)

We've punted numerous seasons waiting for him/his wife to get healthy, including the last two. It was not his fault, but we were out of the playoff race by December each time - that hurts.

If he's healthy and our offer is competitive then he should remember all of the above. $25 mil is a lot per, but we don't have the draft picks or trade pieces to land a point guard better than him. Outside of George Hill perhaps I'm not sure there's anyone we could target that would bring the required skillset, and even then I'd prefer Jrue.

Ever since Conley's deal last off-season the writing's been on the wall as to how much it would cost to bring back Jrue. It's a lot, but I'm resigned to it and I don't think we can afford not to do it. Perhaps we're chasing our losses in gambling parlance, but I just don't see many viable alternatives.

largebus
We ****ed up not getting his medical records. Although would that have made a difference?

Ive been listening to a lot of podcasts lately (Ihave no opinion of my own)

I actually would pay Mills or Collison more than half the money.....Probably collison

We ****** up not getting his medical records. Although would that have made a difference?

Ive been listening to a lot of podcasts lately (Ihave no opinion of my own)

I actually would pay Mills or Collison more than half the money.....Probably collison

But how much would that really save us? It's far less than just Jrue's 25 million - Collison's 12 mil

Let's take a look at one of Solomon's best games for the club

The guy definitely has talent, just needs to keep improving his handle, improving his jumper and becoming more consistent overall offensively. He is already much above average on the defensive end.

If he can do these things, his contract will be a steal.

Pick 57 for Tim Frazier. Meh

52 actually

The money remaining on Tim's contract was 2 million, coincidentally this happened today:

NBA's Salary Cap Estimate For 17-18 Drops From $101M To $99M

K0KPgis.jpg

So are we whelmed or underwhelmed with our selection today? Seems to me - from my very limited intellect - that we've essentially traded pick 40 and Frazier for Frank "The Tank" Jackson. From what I can gather, he's a significant talent who slid because of injury, yes? Luckily he's come to the right place. I look forward to seeing him on court in three to for years time.

Alright, here we go.
All signs of tis drat tell me Jrue is gone.
Frank Johnsons good, has good length, slashes well. Can play against the PnR well, reporrtedly a good shooter but I don't like his action (Buddy Hield)
His downsides of over use of the ball, that will be smashed out of him in summer league hopefully. Doesn't seem like a gentry guy but that could only be a seasons worth.
Overall I give it a C+ but I am so high on Williams Goss, Keeping Frazier and going after Jeremy lin. I just think Goss is going to make so many teams look silly for taking him so late

Time will tell how this works out but let's ask the Duke pro Primetime Pricey for his thoughts

The Five Best Second-Round Picks in the 2017 NBA Draft

Frank Jackson, Pelicans

Making it as a second-round pick is as much about opportunity as it is talent, and few guys taken in the second round will have more of a chance than Jackson, and not just because he was taken at no. 31. The Hornets originally made the selection as part of their trade for Dwight Howard, but they ended up selling the pick to the Pelicans in exchange for moving back to no. 40. New Orleans has a desperate need for size, 3-point shooting, and athleticism on the perimeter, and Jackson provides all three in spades. He may not provide much else, but the Pelicans can’t afford to be choosy, not with Jrue Holiday set to enter free agency.

At last year’s McDonald’s All American Game, Jackson won the MVP award and the dunk contest, and a lot was expected of him at Duke. However, the team never coalesced due to injuries from both their roster and Coach K, and Jackson never really got into much of a groove playing with so many other ball-dominant players like Jayson Tatum, Luke Kennard, and Grayson Allen. With five-star point guard Trevon Duval coming to Durham next season, Jackson saw the writing on the wall and declared for the draft, despite putting up only mediocre stats this season.

At 6-foot-3 and 200 pounds with a 6-foot-7 wingspan, Jackson is a shooting guard in a point guard’s body, and he will need to prove he is a better playmaker than he showed at Duke if he’s ever going to be given the chance to run a team. The good news for the Pelicans is that he’s at his best when he’s jacking 3s off the dribble, which is exactly what they need. After the trade deadline, there were a lot of games where no one else besides Anthony Davis and DeMarcus Cousins had to be guarded. At the very least, Jackson should provide some scoring punch off the bench. He may never be anything more than Jerryd Bayless, but a young Bayless would be a perfect fit in New Orleans.

https://theringer.com/2017-nba-draft-best-second-round-picks-jordan-bell-jonah-bolden-278d4d1afc94

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Alright, here we go.
Frank Johnsons good, has good length, slashes well. Can play against the PnR well, reporrtedly a good shooter but I don't like his action (Buddy Hield)
His downsides of over use of the ball, that will be smashed out of him in summer league hopefully. Doesn't seem like a gentry guy but that could only be a seasons worth.

He's been ruled out of SL. And I'm not sure why you think a bad habit can be hammered out in the space of 3 games if he's had those instincts his whole life so far

But his shooting action seems fine to me, if a little bit slow on the release

And when you say that you think Jrue is gone is that because of Jackson?

From the limited highlights I've seen he seems very much shoot first oriented. I think he has ~0% chance of running a team full time. But I love his athleticism and scoring instincts. And I think he could be a long term back court starter. Kind of like a reverse Jrue in terms of his skill set.

Jrue is mainly a PG who can play off the ball a bit, Jackson is mainly a SG who could play a little point.

The two could work together pretty well I think

Last edited:
Alright, here we go.
Overall I give it a C+ but I am so high on Williams Goss, Keeping Frazier and going after Jeremy lin. I just think Goss is going to make so many teams look silly for taking him so late

Time will tell how this works out but let's ask the Duke pro Primetime Pricey for his thoughts

Goss went 50 something to the Jazz, right?

Might get a chance to play there.

3 Most Underrated Players in This Years Draft

2. Frank Jackson - Jackson is another player that is projected to go in the top of the second round and is another player who I think has significantly higher potential than that. This year at Duke Grayson Allen/Luke Kennard took up a lot of the minutes at the guard position which only allowed for Jackson to average about 25 minutes per game but during that period he was very productive. He averaged over 10 points per game to go along with 2.5 rebounds and 1.7 assists per game. Jackson showed why he was a McDonald's All American throughout the season and I am shocked at how low many people have him in their mock drafts. A team such as the Utah Jazz who may lose George Hill in free agency should take a shot on this kid. At Duke, he flashed elite athleticism and his combine numbers backed that up. In fact, they may have showed hes more athletic than many people thought. Jackson finished first in the shuttle run, 11th in lane agility, 5th in standing vertical and 2nd in max vertical. Jackson also 56% from NBA three-point range in drills.

https://bostonmaniacs.com/nba-draft/2017/6/2/3-most-underrated-players-in-this-years-draft

I can't be ****ed finding it but we traded in the draft for another guard.
We will pay someone like Lin 12 milll vs Jrues 25mill over 4 which also leaves us 15 mill under the tax.

Edmund Sumner was the player who we traded with Washington.
Draft express says he looks good.
I know nothing about him even though Xavier is my team (David west)
So we have 2 point guards with contracts that aren't guaranteed because they're second round picks.
It does give us leverage drafting 2 point guards with cap space against signing Jrue

I will ask the question, do any of us want to pay Jrue 25mill per?

In a vacuum no, but when you take into account his cap hold, holding his bird rights and who is left on the market it may push things in favour of signing him. I also think we lose the MLE or Room Exception if we don't sign him.

I'm actually liking the idea of Rondo, purely because of how much better he will make AD and DmC

Gentry on the sitch:

I think we are planning on having Jrue back, and I’m hoping that’s something that can happen. I think if we do get him back you’re going to see the best Jrue Holiday since I’ve been here, because obviously the thing with his wife has gotten a lot better and his body is probably in the best shape it’s been in a few years.

So, if we can get that done, which I think we will, then I think we’ve got a heck of a player and there are a few other guys I think we can add to the mix. The thing for us is we have to go into this season as a healthy team. By that, I mean the core we have has to be healthy

Last edited:

I'm hoping for closer to $20, but we'll see. George Hill and (longshot) Kyle Lowry are the only viable alternatives if we want to increase performance.

Lost in the midst of our humdrum season was that we took a big leap defensively - I don't want to lose that.

$25 million sounds like a lot, but if we opted to spend it on a new backcourt I fear we'd end up with Derrick Rose and Arron Afflalo. I keep reminding myself that Ryan Anderson makes $20 million in today's NBA.

I'm actually liking the idea of Rondo, purely because of how much better he will make AD and DmC

Or we could end up with Rondo and Afflalo *shudder*

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back