The Pelican Brief: Your one stop shop for everything NOLA

Remove this Banner Ad

NBA Free Agency: Hints now point to Jrue Holiday re-signing with the New Orleans Pelicans

In 2017-18, Holiday will carry a cap hit of $16,929,777 http://www.spotrac.com/nba/new-orleans-pelicans/jrue-holiday-6316/

From what I can understand, even if Jrue signs a 25mil contract, only 17 mil counts against the cap, although I think this is only relevant if we operate above the soft cap (surely there's no other way around it now). But I'm still pretty shaky on the workings of the CBA
Once signed, on the cap

I just got glasses after 5 years of not wearing them, so some of the s**t I say might make sense

I saw that, didn't look too much into it.
Our roster is sadly full. We will either let Jrue go or use to 2 picks we took.

We only used one pick in the draft on Frank Jackson, we sold the other.

These are the guys on the roster:

AD
DmC
Hill
Moore
Q-Pon
Asik
Ajinca
Cook
Diallo
Crawford
Jackson

That's 11 out of the 15 spots, plus Jrue and Cunningham if we re-sign him which I hope. Also the new two way contracts this season which brings the roster to 17 spots

Two-Way Contracts. Each NBA team will be permitted to have on its roster up to two players under “Two-Way Contracts.” A “Two-Way Player” will provide services primarily to the NBA team’s D-League affiliate, and can be on the NBA team’s Active or Inactive List for up to 45 days during the NBA regular season, as well as on the NBA team’s roster prior to the start of D-League training camp (including during NBA training camp) and after the conclusion of the D-League regular season.

During the term of a Two-Way Contract, a Two-Way Player will be eligible to sign a standard NBA contract only with his current team.

So that's 6 spots still open

Once signed, on the cap

We can go over the soft cap to sign Jrue because we have his Bird Rights

Last edited:
Yep, was inevitable it seems.

Read somewhere our handling of his personal troubles did win us some brownie points, which is good.

Yeah. The contract looks too big right now (he's the sixth highest paid pg) but in a couple of years when the other top pgs all re-up their contracts, I think it will look more fitting. Assuming he's healthy and performs, of course.

So who do we fill out the rest of the roster with? I've seen the likes of Nick Young, Ty Lawson and Jodie Meeks mentioned as interests, maybe Rondo and Justin Holiday?

i dont understand how the salary cap works - yet due to bird rights or something, some of this is 'outside' the cap yes?

doesnt look so bad if Cousins signs a new deal

AD, Cousins, Jrue is pretty solid core to tweak around

It means that we can go over the salary cap to re-sign him and keep things like the Mid Level Exception etc that you don't keep if you are running under the cap.

Also hear that Dell is trying hard to land another big piece who isn't a FA, Bledsoe and Lin are the two names being thrown around.

Brace yourself for 2018 1st to be traded pretty soon and probably another future 1st.

But at this point in time we need to go all so I'm ok with it as long as we get an elite creator

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd rather Bledsoe than Lin. Lin's distribution is meh

Unless you put him at the 2

I'd rather Bledsoe than Lin. Lin's distribution is meh

Unless you put him at the 2

Lin averaged 1 assist less than Bled (5 v 6) and and almost the same PER

I think is distribution is fine and he would come a lot chaper

Lin averaged 1 assist less than Bled (5 v 6) and and almost the same PER

I think is distribution is fine and he would come a lot chaper

Lol I read PER as "pick and roll"

Something tells me the Nets would be uh, "easier to trade with" than the Suns

Lol I read PER as "pick and roll"

Something tells me the Nets would be uh, "easier to trade with" than the Suns

Sean Marks is turning out to be actually a pretty competent GM. But I guess anyone is compared with Billy King

We got a live one here boys

I know it seems cliche to say mini AD, but so much of Diallo's game reminds me of AD

So, on the back of revelations that we're interested in Reggie Jackson coming off knee injuries, today it's been suggested we're considering getting involved in the Melo trade to Houston and taking back Anderson and is fat contract. This makes zero sense to me. Hopefully it's all a smokescreen and Dell has a pleasant surprise in store for us.

So, on the back of revelations that we're interested in Reggie Jackson coming off knee injuries, today it's been suggested we're considering getting involved in the Melo trade to Houston and taking back Anderson and is fat contract. This makes zero sense to me. Hopefully it's all a smokescreen and Dell has a pleasant surprise in store for us.

Yeah it makes less than 0 sense to take Randerson back

The waiting game continues..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back