nufan

Norm Smith Medallist
May 4, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Pelicans, Tottenham
Where we can talk about what nobody else cares about.

Nufan, give me a quick review of Austin Rivers.
Good skills, can handle the ball, seems a bit out of place at the NBA pace at the moment. Gets caught a lot on double teams and court awareness still isn't up to scratch but that will come with experience.

Seems most comfortable in an Iso or PnR situation where he can use his speed to get past defenders and looks very comfortable going to the rack, can draw fouls and should make his living at the FT line. Once his lay ups start hitting his confidence will increase. Will benefit a lot with the Return of Gordon as he will be demoted to the secondary, if the Hornets are fully fit for a long period of time this season I wouldn't be overly suprised to see him put in the D League for a stretch.

Defensively he is still trying to cope with the speed of the game, he struggle to fight through screens so often goes under the screen which allows his player to create space and have an open shot.

Long term it would seem the plan is to have him as our starting PG but with the emergence of Vasquez I would imagine his role will be a more Jamal Crawford like off the bench type role for the forseeable future.

A definate project player who has a great upside. Someone in the Weekly thread likened him to Corey Magette which I think is a good comparison.

will the cheerleaders be known as the can-cans?
There is a water dwelling bird in the pelican family known as the "Booby" fingers crossed our marketing team is all over that one.

One time i was fishing in country NSW, using a hand reel. Caught a fish and managed to get it on to the back, then a bloody Pelican came over and grabbed the fish.

Didn't stop there, ended up ripping the hand reel out of my hand and ate the whole thing.

Bloody Pelicans.
When I was 5 a Pelican tried to eat my head at Healsville Sanctuary. I have conflicted emotions about this new team name as I am now afraid of birds due to this incident

If drinking watching the big bash. Pizza
Any other scenario = Lamb chops, prime bbq weather

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Subbed, good idea nufan

I have no idea why I cannot be summoned.. maybe bigfooty's powers do not reach as far as Snake Mountain?

So, while we're still the Hornets (sigh), I'd like to post this classic game:

1993 playoffs first round, Boston @ Charlotte.. Game 4, Hornets leading 2-1 in the best of five series.. final few minutes of the last quarter. Charlotte led 88-70 at the end of the third quarter and looked poised to take the series, but the Celtics almost came back from the dead..

One of the most iconic moments in Hornets history (slim pickings), as well as one of the more confusing endings to any playoff game in history.

Some interesting notes

- This was Kevin McHale's last game for Boston- I think he announced it on the floor after the game finished. Larry Bird had retired 12 months earlier, Robert Parish joined the Hornets soon after. McHale actually had a really good series, scoring 19 in this game, and 30 in Game 2.

- In Game 1 of this series, Celtics star Reggie Lewis collapsed on the court. A couple of months later, he collapsed on a practice court and died at the age of 27. He averaged over 20ppg that season, so with the retirements of Bird & McHale this really was the end of an era for the Celtics. Conversely, this was the Hornets first ever playoff series.

- On the court for the Celtics is a young Rick Fox (ugh)

- On the court for the Hornets is Dell Curry (father of Stephen) who won the 6th man award the following season.

- Larry Johnson was probably never quite the same player after this season, after his back condition deteriorated.

Charlotte lost to the Knicks in the second round after this series. The expected Hornet 'era' never arrived, sadly. The team traded Gill to Seattle, and the relationship between LJ & Zo famously deteriorated.

We lost in the first round of the 95 playoffs to Michael Jordan's Bulls (his comeback year wearing 45), after which Zo was traded to Miami for Glen Rice plus stuff. Johnson was traded to the Knicks for Anthony Mason a year later. The bad blood between the Heat and the Knicks, as well as Zo and LJ, spilled over in several playoff series in the late 90s, but that's another story.

What a ripper finish to that game. So typical of the franchises history, promising rebuilds that peter out into disappointment.

Perhaps the change to the nickname "Pelicans" will instill a killah instinct in the players, them things are merciless.

Seeing Zo hit that game winner gets me hard every time.

Yeah, great times. Everybody loved the Hornets back then.. I can understand Bobcat fans wanting the name/colours/history back.

Even though we were actually consistently above .500 throughout the 90s (Divac/Mason/Rice was a nice frontcourt), we were never that popular again.. once upon a time, we were 'it', but it was fleeting. Sorta similar to the Run-TMC/Webber Warriors or the Penny/Shaq Magic.

What a ripper finish to that game. So typical of the franchises history, promising rebuilds that peter out into disappointment.
]

Let's hope they learned their lesson, 20 years later, when it comes to Anthony Davis: when you draft a potential HOF big man, dont f$%# trade him!

Zo is my all time favourite. Breaks my heart still that he got traded. Davis is who we build around, preferably with non-crippled talent.

He was my favourite too, I remember a friend told me the day he got traded and my jaw dropped.. one of those 'JFK moment' moments.

Even though the '06 Finals were dodgy-as, I was still thrilled for him that he got his championship in the end. Best. Cameo. Ever.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back