The Pelican Brief: Your one stop shop for everything NOLA

Remove this Banner Ad

Well, another year and the Pels curse is well and truly alive. Payton who previously has missed about 3 games over 5 seasons is out for 4-6 weeks with a fractured little pinky which needs surgery. #Pelslife

In the positives, Jrue is doing a pretty damn good job running the team and is second in the league in assists (!). Seems like he has a direct connection to AD's brain sometimes they way they are in sync, though a few of his alley oop passes could be directed a little bit better. I counted 2 missed alley oop dunks today from Jrue to AD coz they passes were slightly off. But that's nit picking.

AD, Threekola and Randle all had double doubles today. Loving our frontline, they all compliment each other.

In the positives, Jrue is doing a pretty damn good job running the team and is second in the league in assists (!). Seems like he has a direct connection to AD's brain sometimes they way they are in sync, though a few of his alley oop passes could be directed a little bit better. I counted 2 missed alley oop dunks today from Jrue to AD coz they passes were slightly off. But that's nit picking.

I had a brief Facebook discussion with someone who thinks Jrue is a "trash can". His reasoning appears to be that AD is better. :think: I really should know better than to respond to Facebook chatter...

I had a brief Facebook discussion with someone who thinks Jrue is a "trash can". His reasoning appears to be that AD is better. :think: I really should know better than to respond to Facebook chatter...
By that logic Kevin Durant is a trash can because Steph Curry. Is this thread the only safe place left on the internet

giphy.gif

I'm trying not to rush to a premature judgement given injuries, new faces, only 1/4 of the season gone, etc...

... however it appears we are pretty much who I feared we might be, again.

No bench, no wings, no attention on defence and a distinct lack of leadership. Too much is being left to too few - you'd say all our main guys are having decent enough seasons, and yet we're still sub .500 and losing to the undermanned Knicks & Heat among others.

Still don't understand the decision to cut Troy Williams and keep Jah. Similarly I dunno what Chicago's asking price for Justin Holiday has been, but we should have been all over that 18 months ago. Wes Johnson is just so much meh.

So when does AD ask for a trade?

After about 1,000,000 passive aggressive tabloid articles slyly suggesting that he's better off leaving a dysfunctional team like the Pels and joining a completely professional team... like the Lakers.

Oh, wait.

I'm closing this thread and deleting my account. * this

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So now what? :'(

Also, soz for the previous meltdown.

We rebuild.

Whether that means rebuilding around Jrue & Mirotic, or a complete effin startover will depend on which 'winning' team AD indicates he is willing to join, and thus what kind of assets we can secure in return.

I dunno if I want Demps doing the negotiating, but we shall see.

We existed before Davis, and we will continue to exist. We'll find another star, it's what we do. We may even find one who wants to stay with us.

They call it 'The Pelican Brief' because that's the average lifespan of a player's career in NOLA.

For we fans though, it's an eternity.
Erikkson and Porch are also leaving.

Gayle Benson will sell this team and I can't support Seattle

We rebuild.

Whether that means rebuilding around Jrue & Mirotic, or a complete effin startover will depend on which 'winning' team AD indicates he is willing to join, and thus what kind of assets we can secure in return.

I dunno if I want Demps doing the negotiating, but we shall see.

We existed before Davis, and we will continue to exist. We'll find another star, it's what we do. We may even find one who wants to stay with us.

I feel your pain, SoS. Small market solidarity.

recent history is that everyone always assumes these big stars are going to be traded to certain teams, and then they get traded somewhere completely under the radar.

Think of PG, Cousins, Leonard, Irving (kind of).

If NO decide not to go down the full tank path, I wonder if a team like Portland could get involved with a package based around mccollum or the Hornets (anything the pelicans want other than kemba). Or maybe the Jazz offer Mitchell and pair davis and gobert together.

recent history is that everyone always assumes these big stars are going to be traded to certain teams, and then they get traded somewhere completely under the radar.

Think of PG, Cousins, Leonard, Irving (kind of).

If NO decide not to go down the full tank path, I wonder if a team like Portland could get involved with a package based around mccollum or the Hornets (anything the pelicans want other than kemba). Or maybe the Jazz offer Mitchell and pair davis and gobert together.

As much as I'd like to see AD on another (better run) small market team, it's going to be almost impossible to pull off.

The small market teams that are currently doing well - Milwaukee, Denver, Portland, Utah - would have to completely blow up their own teams and hard-won chemistry in order to land him. Portland for example would have to trade McCollum + Nurkic to be in the conversation. That'd leave them will Lillard, AD and precious few assets aside to try and win the West.

Denver has great depth on their roster, but if they trade either Murray and/or Harris to land Davis, then they'd leave themselves very thin at guard. Utah obtaining Davis without offering up Gobert or Mitchell would also be an extremely long shot. And so on and so forth.

Charlotte has no chance, lack the required assets.

As much as I'd like to see AD on another (better run) small market team, it's going to be almost impossible to pull off.

The small market teams that are currently doing well - Milwaukee, Denver, Portland, Utah - would have to completely blow up their own teams and hard-won chemistry in order to land him. Portland for example would have to trade McCollum + Nurkic to be in the conversation. That'd leave them will Lillard, AD and precious few assets aside to try and win the West.

Denver has great depth on their roster, but if they trade either Murray and/or Harris to land Davis, then they'd leave themselves very thin at guard. Utah obtaining Davis without offering up Gobert or Mitchell would also be an extremely long shot. And so on and so forth.

Charlotte has no chance, lack the required assets.

I dont disagree with any of that.

However my point is that everyone seems to look to the same teams (LA teams, boston, new york, miami) when these big players become available but recent history suggests you need to look a lot wider than that.

There was a feeling that teams won't trade anything of substance for just a rental, but then PG stayed ... Kawahi maybe to. I think if cousins hadn't gotten injured, he would have stayed.

In the Portland example, I still think you have more hope with Lillard, AD, and not much else ... than their current situation.

I think the most obvious (pre trade deadline) trade, to the Lakers, is probably the least likely of any of them to happen. I dont think the Pelicans will want to trade him there regardless, and a deal with Ingram, Ball, Kuzma just isnt that appealing in my opinion.

I dont disagree with any of that.

However my point is that everyone seems to look to the same teams (LA teams, boston, new york, miami) when these big players become available but recent history suggests you need to look a lot wider than that.

There was a feeling that teams won't trade anything of substance for just a rental, but then PG stayed ... Kawahi maybe to. I think if cousins hadn't gotten injured, he would have stayed.

In the Portland example, I still think you have more hope with Lillard, AD, and not much else ... than their current situation.

I think the most obvious (pre trade deadline) trade, to the Lakers, is probably the least likely of any of them to happen. I dont think the Pelicans will want to trade him there regardless, and a deal with Ingram, Ball, Kuzma just isnt that appealing in my opinion.

I get where you're coming from, but the conundrum for the non-obvious candidates is this

1/ Do we have a hope of convincing him Davis to stay?

2/ Do we have enough pieces to throw at a trade while simultaneously not gutting our roster (see Knicks circa 2011)?

3/ Do we risk destroying good team chemistry? (see Houston, 1996)

Toronto traded for an obviously better player in Kawhi, but still suffered mightily from disruption. That risk may pay off, or it may not. All teams and their fans become wedded to 'their guys', but for small market teams that goes doubly. It's OK if you're overloaded at the wings but lacking in bigs, but most of the non obvious trade partners - Milwaukee, Denver, Utah, Philly - already have a star big man.

Toronto could offer up an intriguing mix of younger players - basically sacrificing depth, instead of creating an unbalanced starting five - that might be our best hope of creating a somewhat inflated market for Davis.

An additional complication is that the 'equaliser' of throwing future first round picks into any deal for Davis is likely going to be of only marginal help, at best. The value of teams like the Lakers or Celtics' future firsts would be severely depressed in the event that they landed Davis. The only potentially juicy picks that feasibly interested teams could offer are the Memphis pick (Boston), possibly the Sac pick (Boston) and the Miami 2021 pick (Philly). After that we're looking at teams trading unprotected picks for 3-5 years from now, which is hard to sell in a market like New Orleans.

Nobody hopes you're right more than me though, nobody wants to see Davis in a Lakers jersey.

I get where you're coming from, but the conundrum for the non-obvious candidates is this

1/ Do we have a hope of convincing him Davis to stay?

2/ Do we have enough pieces to throw at a trade while simultaneously not gutting our roster (see Knicks circa 2011)?

3/ Do we risk destroying good team chemistry? (see Houston, 1996)

Toronto traded for an obviously better player in Kawhi, but still suffered mightily from disruption. That risk may pay off, or it may not. All teams and their fans become wedded to 'their guys', but for small market teams that goes doubly. It's OK if you're overloaded at the wings but lacking in bigs, but most of the non obvious trade partners - Milwaukee, Denver, Utah, Philly - already have a star big man.

Toronto could offer up an intriguing mix of younger players - basically sacrificing depth, instead of creating an unbalanced starting five - that might be our best hope of creating a somewhat inflated market for Davis.

An additional complication is that the 'equaliser' of throwing future first round picks into any deal for Davis is likely going to be of only marginal help, at best. The value of teams like the Lakers or Celtics' future firsts would be severely depressed in the event that they landed Davis. The only potentially juicy picks that feasibly interested teams could offer are the Memphis pick (Boston), possibly the Sac pick (Boston) and the Miami 2021 pick (Philly). After that we're looking at teams trading unprotected picks for 3-5 years from now, which is hard to sell in a market like New Orleans.

Nobody hopes you're right more than me though, nobody wants to see Davis in a Lakers jersey.
Literally the 2 smallest markets in the running are Philly and Boston.
Unless a 3rd team gets involved.

Also I had to laugh at Lonzo Balls team coming out and saying he would want to be traded to the Pels because the have and established point guard.

Can Lonzo Ball not beat out Elfrid Payton as a starting PG?

Literally the 2 smallest markets in the running are Philly and Boston.
Unless a 3rd team gets involved.

Also I had to laugh at Lonzo Balls team coming out and saying he would want to be traded to the Pels because the have and established point guard.

Can Lonzo Ball not beat out Elfrid Payton as a starting PG?

Obviously still scarred from losing his job to Rajon Rondo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back