The Pelican Brief: Your one stop shop for everything NOLA

Remove this Banner Ad

I love how we're supposed to throw Jrue in too, despite Davis for Lonzo + pick 4 not being equitable trade in itself, or even working from a salary standpoint.

Also I can't think of a worse running mate for Zion than Lonzo.

His "reasoning" was that pick 4 helps bring in young talent to replace Davis and Lonzo a good replacement for Jrue. Crazy. I have more appreciation for fans who don't want to give up their unproven youth because "potential".

Surely we'd be aiming for a package including pick 3?

Just want the best package, period. May not even include any additional picks in this draft.

If we end up with a 25 year old, 5th year player as the centrepiece of the deal, that's OK. In fact it might help stagger out the salary cap pressure years from now.

But yes, it comes down to the Lakers or Knicks then pick 3 might hold a fair bit more value than pick 4... depends how we rate Barrett, really.

So, how are we feeling about things as we get closer to dealing Davis?

Personally, I'm feeling more bullish than I was a week or so ago where I started to feel resigned to us having to do a deal with the Lakers. I have confidence in Griffin and with how he has been operating that we'll get a pretty good haul and I expect that it won't be too far away. His reported wishlist sounds achievable - An All Star, a young player with All Star potential and multiple first round picks - with a sliding scale on how the deal can be constructed (better players requires less picks, etc).

So do you have a wishlist of what package you'd like to see? A preferred partner to deal with?

Ideally I'd like to see him in the East. Boston for Tatum, Smart, Pick 14 and the Memphis pick? New York for Dennis Smith Jr, Mitchell Robinson, Pick 3 and extra? Something wild like a Philly trade for Embiid plus ?, a sign-and-trade deal with Brooklyn for Russell, LeVert and Allen?

The latest rumour I saw (no idea of legitimacy) is a Lakers three-way with the Wizards who get Ball, Kuzma and Pick 4 and we get Beal, Ingram and Pick 9. I don't know how well Beal fits, force Holiday back to pg I guess and make it work.

So, how are we feeling about things as we get closer to dealing Davis?

Fatigued.

We've been in limbo for six months, I'm past ready to actually have a basketball team to root for again.

So do you have a wishlist of what package you'd like to see? A preferred partner to deal with?

Nah, I find endless rosterbating kinda pointless. I mean theoretically we could land any one of 99% of the league. Just waiting for the deal to happen.

Don't care who we trade with, as long as we extract every last pound of flesh. If it's the Lakers, they also have to hand over what's left of their skeleton too, so it can be pulverised as used to fertilise the gardens of New Orleans.

Ideally I'd like to see him in the East. Boston for Tatum, Smart, Pick 14 and the Memphis pick? New York for Dennis Smith Jr, Mitchell Robinson, Pick 3 and extra? Something wild like a Philly trade for Embiid plus ?, a sign-and-trade deal with Brooklyn for Russell, LeVert and Allen?

A Boston offer looks OK, but I'm less high on the value of their picks than most. I'd be highly surprised if that Memphis picks lands in the top 10, let alone top three.

New York theoretical offer would be really grasping, because it's hard to place real value on any of their players. I mean Mitch Robinson looks good, but with an 18 win team who really knows? Ditto Smith. How highly do we regard Barrett? Etc, etc.

I have a hard time seeing long term rebuilds like Philly and Brooklyn gutting their entire teams for a malcontent, but that's me.

The latest rumour I saw (no idea of legitimacy) is a Lakers three-way with the Wizards who get Ball, Kuzma and Pick 4 and we get Beal, Ingram and Pick 9. I don't know how well Beal fits, force Holiday back to pg I guess and make it work.

I have no problem with the concept of trading for a player of Beal's age and ability. I don't want to wait five years to build around Zion, the draft and free agency can be very hit and miss. Maybe we only get a 2-3 year championship window (if everything goes right) with a Jrue/Beal/Zion core, but IMO as a small market team if you have a chance to go for a championship, you take it.

I like Beal better than playing the lottery at #4. I even think he and Jrue could work nicely together so long as we land a decent third guard. However I reckon Washington would be nuts to trade Beal for the 4th pick in this particular draft, or for Ball & Kuzma. If we could land Beal, Ingram and #9 I'd think real seriously about it. Medical issues aside, Ingram looks like the safest prospect the Lakers own.

Fatigued.

We've been in limbo for six months, I'm past ready to actually have a basketball team to root for again.

I find endless rosterbating kinda pointless. I mean theoretically we could land any one of 99% of the league. Just waiting for the deal to happen.

Don't care who we trade with, as long as we extract every last pound of flesh. If it's the Lakers, they also have to hand over what's left of their skeleton too, so it can be pulverised as used to fertilise the gardens of New Orleans.

Yeah, I hear ya. It has been exhausting. Fortunately for you, you have Collingwood as a distraction. I have Melbourne...The rosterbating is keeping me afloat.

A Boston offer looks OK, but I'm less high on the value of their picks than most. I'd be highly surprised if that Memphis picks lands in the top 10, let alone top three.

New York theoretical offer would be really grasping, because it's hard to place real value on any of their players. I mean Mitch Robinson looks good, but with an 18 win team who really knows? Ditto Smith. How highly do we regard Barrett? Etc, etc.

I have a hard time seeing long term rebuilds like Philly and Brooklyn gutting their entire teams for a malcontent, but that's me.

Memphis are in the first year of a full blown rebuild, I'll be highly surprised if they aren't mired deep in the lottery still by then. The lottery odds also mean the pick could land anywhere of course, as we well know.

Agreed on New York. That could also mean the end of Holiday who is not interested in being around for a full rebuild.

In terms of Philly and Brooklyn, I don't think either of them would be doing any gutting.
Philly - maybe just a straight swap for Embiid, add a pick of some sort as tops. I wonder if their chemistry is right. Butler and Embiid I think are both Alpha players. Bring back Butler and Davis is a perfect 2IC next to him.
Brooklyn - All reports are they're getting Kyrie and if they do then D'Angelo is out. If they can turn Russell into Davis at the cost of a couple of young prospects then it's worthwhile.

It might be that they're impossible options and I did say that they would be wild, I had just seen them as suggestions is all.

I have no problem with the concept of trading for a player of Beal's age and ability. I don't want to wait five years to build around Zion, the draft and free agency can be very hit and miss. Maybe we only get a 2-3 year championship window (if everything goes right) with a Jrue/Beal/Zion core, but IMO as a small market team if you have a chance to go for a championship, you take it.

I like Beal better than playing the lottery at #4. I even think he and Jrue could work nicely together so long as we land a decent third guard. However I reckon Washington would be nuts to trade Beal for the 4th pick in this particular draft, or for Ball & Kuzma. If we could land Beal, Ingram and #9 I'd think real seriously about it. Medical issues aside, Ingram looks like the safest prospect the Lakers own.

Wall's injury coupled with his supermax, Washington are left with a poor roster and no cap room. They're screwed. This option gives them two young prospects who have shown ability at NBA level as well as a pick upgrade. If the Lakers are desperate enough (likely) they might get more.

Again, this probably isn't likely but is probably one of the more balanced suggestions I've seen.

Yeah, I hear ya. It has been exhausting. Fortunately for you, you have Collingwood as a distraction. I have Melbourne...The rosterbating is keeping me afloat.

Haha, I hear ya.

I like rosterbating in isolation, but it's been six months now. Time for closure.

Memphis are in the first year of a full blown rebuild, I'll be highly surprised if they aren't mired deep in the lottery still by then. The lottery odds also mean the pick could land anywhere of course, as we well know.

IMO they're further along than people think.

Jaren Jackson looked pretty good, they'll get Morant. Looks like Valanciunas wants to stay with them too. If they get a good haul for Conley, they'll have plenty of pieces. It feels like they should be at ground zero, but they're doing a pretty good job of rebuilding on the fly.

The caveat is that their 2020 pick is top 6 protected - so IF they're clearly missing the playoffs, then they'll tank the end of the season. It's not foolproof, but the odds of their pick falling in the 7-10 range next year is pretty slim. It's unprotected for 2021, but they'll know that ahead of time and load up for that season with free agents or whatever. The odds of that pick ending up in the top 10 in 2020 or 2021 would be fairly long - IMO 25% chance at best.

In terms of Philly and Brooklyn, I don't think either of them would be doing any gutting.
Philly - maybe just a straight swap for Embiid, add a pick of some sort as tops. I wonder if their chemistry is right. Butler and Embiid I think are both Alpha players. Bring back Butler and Davis is a perfect 2IC next to him.
Brooklyn - All reports are they're getting Kyrie and if they do then D'Angelo is out. If they can turn Russell into Davis at the cost of a couple of young prospects then it's worthwhile.

It might be that they're impossible options and I did say that they would be wild, I had just seen them as suggestions is all.

A deal with Brooklyn is definitely feasible. No chance Philly deals Embiid though, their fans would tear the city apart.

Wall's injury coupled with his supermax, Washington are left with a poor roster and no cap room. They're screwed. This option gives them two young prospects who have shown ability at NBA level as well as a pick upgrade. If the Lakers are desperate enough (likely) they might get more.

Again, this probably isn't likely but is probably one of the more balanced suggestions I've seen.

You're right in that Washington are pretty cap crocked, albeit they alleviated that a little by trading Porter.

Beal is by far the best asset they have though - healthier than Wall, younger than Wall, better contract than Wall, and probably a better player than Wall. If they trade him they should be looking for mint assets, but that doesn't really concern us. If we could get Beal, Ingram and #9 then I would take that deal. Far prefer that than Lonzo & Kuzma. One overlooked problem with trading for Ingram, Lonzo and Kuzma is that they'll all be due extensions soon.

You guys just reemed LA.
Sadly I think LA will dominate still next year with AD and LJ

I dunno about that.

Ingram still has medical issues and parts of his game to work on. Lonzo ditto, albeit with less emphasis on the former and more on the latter. Hart's an OK rotation player, but hardly a deal breaker.

Still too much water to go under the bridge before the trade can be evaluated. We don't know whether we're going to keep the 4th pick or trade it, or the details on future draft picks. To break even on this deal we need to land at least one All-star, and as yet we don't know whether we have.

It's nice to finally have some closure, might take a few weeks for the full plan to become apparent though.

I'm pretty content with the haul. Lonzo and Jrue is a pretty nice back court duo. Ingram gives us our first legit small forward since Ariza, or more probably Mashburn. My main concern, as mentioned by Son of Skeletor , is health.
Maybe we turn pick 4 and one of the future firsts into RJ Barrett. That would complete the deal pretty well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe we turn pick 4 and one of the future firsts into RJ Barrett. That would complete the deal pretty well.

Reckon he's a lock for the Knicks unfortunately, unless Memphis take him first.

Much more likely to trade down the order IMO.

The only thing of value is that 4th first round pick (better be unprotected or else it's value is diminished too) the rest is borderline trash.

You should be looking to trade down for Reddish. Whack (I assume) a close friend next to Zion & hope you get as much out of Zion as you did AD

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The only thing of value is that 4th first round pick (better be unprotected or else it's value is diminished too) the rest is borderline trash.

Ingram is not trash.

Lonzo is a first class defender who may or may not fit our roster, but still has some currency if we wish to parlay him.

The draft picks are assets of variable value, but nevertheless remain assets. Nobody thought that the 2018 draft pick the Lakers used to acquire Steve Nash was going to be of much value at the time either.

David Griffin has turned Anthony Davis into:

Lonzo Ball
Brandon Ingram
Josh Hart
Pick 8 - Jaxson Hayes
Pick 17 - Nickeil Alexander-Walker
Pick 35
Cleveland Protected First Round '20
LA First Round '21 or '22
LA Pick Swap '23
LA First Round '24 or '25
About $12.7mil in cap space in moving Solomon Hill's contract.

Not a bad haul...

David Griffin has turned Anthony Davis into:

Lonzo Ball
Brandon Ingram
Josh Hart
Pick 8 - Jaxson Hayes
Pick 17 - Nickeil Alexander-Walker
Pick 35
Cleveland Protected First Round '20
LA First Round '21 or '22
LA Pick Swap '23
LA First Round '24 or '25
About $12.7mil in cap space in moving Solomon Hill's contract.

Not a bad haul...
A good haul which could have been a whole lot better had we kept pick 4 and turned it into Hunter rather than wasting it on Hayes.

Only two players we've drafted today I'm content with.

A good haul which could have been a whole lot better had we kept pick 4 and turned it into Hunter rather than wasting it on Hayes.

Only two players we've drafted today I'm content with.

I understand being attached to that idea but the trade now means we have $31mil open to spend on free agents or for trade flexibility. That's a much bigger deal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back